The thread for people who do not watch television (Read 704 times)

Mishka-old log

Anyone else out there? All these threads about TV shows and, golly gee, I feel a bit left out. Any other TV shunners? What do you do while the rest of the world takes in their favorite series? Me...I play with my daughter, chat with my wife, play guitar and even (gulp) surf the web.
      *raises hand* I rarely watch tv. Big grin I'm not home often enough to really get sucked into any series. Although I do have to confess that if I walk into the room and Scrubs is on, I will sit and watch that.

Michelle

Now that was a bath...

"Me, Me, Me." <- which i stated so definitively that i used two unnecessary capital letters. the kids watch tv. in the evening we all watch a film on the projector but almost never tv. if i do watch tv it's a documentary - i am not a tv series sort of girl though. i also don't read harry potter - except the odd extract to my 8 year old boy when he is too tired to read to himself. i have four kids - they keep me busy! mostly for fun i surf the net, write, paint, draw, watch films, decorate the house or listen to music. on occasion i get filthy drunk and dangerous - but that's probably a mid life crisis. claire xxx which="" i="" stated="" so="" definitively="" that="" i="" used="" two="" unnecessary="" capital="" letters.="" the="" kids="" watch="" tv.="" in="" the="" evening="" we="" all="" watch="" a="" film="" on="" the="" projector="" but="" almost="" never="" tv.="" if="" i="" do="" watch="" tv="" it's="" a="" documentary="" -="" i="" am="" not="" a="" tv="" series="" sort="" of="" girl="" though.="" i="" also="" don't="" read="" harry="" potter="" -="" except="" the="" odd="" extract="" to="" my="" 8="" year="" old="" boy="" when="" he="" is="" too="" tired="" to="" read="" to="" himself.="" i="" have="" four="" kids="" -="" they="" keep="" me="" busy!="" mostly="" for="" fun="" i="" surf="" the="" net,="" write,="" paint,="" draw,="" watch="" films,="" decorate="" the="" house="" or="" listen="" to="" music.="" on="" occasion="" i="" get="" filthy="" drunk="" and="" dangerous="" -="" but="" that's="" probably="" a="" mid="" life="" crisis.="" claire="" xxx=""></- which i stated so definitively that i used two unnecessary capital letters. the kids watch tv. in the evening we all watch a film on the projector but almost never tv. if i do watch tv it's a documentary - i am not a tv series sort of girl though. i also don't read harry potter - except the odd extract to my 8 year old boy when he is too tired to read to himself. i have four kids - they keep me busy! mostly for fun i surf the net, write, paint, draw, watch films, decorate the house or listen to music. on occasion i get filthy drunk and dangerous - but that's probably a mid life crisis. claire xxx >
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't get the wrong idea...I barely ever watch TV. Heroes is about it.
          Mishka-old log

Don't get the wrong idea...I barely ever watch TV.
            I wouldn't think you'd have much time for TV while you're trying to take over the internet.
            Jill_B

I fly.

I used to watch a lot of TV, but now I'm another too busy for TV person. Although I do like Top Chef (but I never remember when it's on, so I'm not sure it counts).

Bring it on.

Lazy idiot

I wouldn't think you'd have much time for TV while you're trying to take over the internet.
                The word is spreading.

Tick tock

Heroes is worst than caffeine. Wink I watch about 3-7 hours of video programming per week almost exclusively on the computer. The Office Dirty Jobs Curb Your Enthusiasm Robot Chicken Flight of the Conchords American Body Shop Lost (Yes, I watch a lot of bad juvenile TV.) I used to be a news mag and VH-1 classics junkie. I prefer audio programming to TV, but my listening tends to occur while I am doing other things; running, chores, sitting on long plane flights, and sleeping.

Vim

The Meek One

My boyfriend and I don't own a T.V. so I don't often find myself watching it. I find the T.V. too intense for me. I love to read and listen to my local NPR often.

You'll ruin your knees!

Heroes is worst than caffeine. Wink
                      Now, that's funny, I don't care who you are! Well played...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Me/ My family!! We get ONE channel (ABC), so our choices are pretty limited; most of the stuff we aren't interested in watching. I mean, Wife Swap and The Nanny are compelling...but, you know...so we usually just watch DVDs. Once school starts it's too busy to even watch t.v., so we don't feel we're missing too much! Time's usually spent doing homework, a little bit of time for play and reading before bed. On the weekends we try to do more family stuff, but it is nice to settle in to a good movie after everyone's tired from the day!
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heroes is worst than caffeine. Wink
                          Damn, that's bad...how do you live with yourself?! What does that do to your life insurance premiums, I wonder...? Wink I don't watch much TV, though there are several shows that I KNOW I would like if I allowed myself to watch. I'm still pretty burned by the whole 4-episodes-before-the-asshats-at-FOX-cancelled-it series, Drive. Just recently started watching Desperate Housewives--for the same reason I watched Drive - Nathan Fillion. I also got hooked on the wretched "The Real World" a few years back. Gah, it's so awful. Reminds me how responsible and non-trashy I was in my 20s. Dirty Jobs gets watched quite a bit. Loves me some Mike Rowe. He's got that same smart, sexy, snarky thing going on that Nathan Fillion has.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I don't watch TV either. I have a television. It gets used for movies sometimes. It also can get one local channel. I think. But I decided I didn't need to pay $45/mo (or more) for cable. Heck, I only pay $5/mo for internet! (Sure, it's dial-up, but it's $5/mo!!!) Instead, I work, go to nursing school, run, do taekwondo, play computer games, read, talk on the phone, IM people online, surf the net, and generally try to stay out of trouble... Sometimes it even works Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

My philosophy on television is that I get cable during football season, and cancel it as soon as it is over. This year, with my wife in law school, I opted not to get cable so I can't watch football. We get two channels, and neither come in very well. That means I get to watch one game per week unless I go somewhere. I do watch Heroes, but if I miss it I'm not going to worry about it. I have better things to do than sit in front of the babble box all night.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Eryn

I love the babble box. The Office, Law & Order SVU, Scrubs, House, Sex and the City, SuperNanny, Monk. That being said, I haven't watched a tv show in months. Now that cold weather is approaching, I netflix the series and watch while I use my rowing machine.... 25-45 minutes is the perfect amount of time to get in some tv and kick my own butt. However, I tend to lag behind the times a bit... I'm still back in the year 2000 with SATC and am looking forward to starting season 1 of the office. Any other good shows I should start on this winter?

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.