Fartlek (Read 922 times)

Pammie

Do people do this anymore, This is a serious question At the club last night this was our session not done fartlek in a long time quite enjoyed it in a strange way. But i was wondering you don't see it in schedules anymore doesn't it have an importance anymore, because it can be as tough as you make it. I guess its all Intervals and tempo runs. Just wondering what others think of it or is it just an old raining method peeps don't do anymore
    MrH

Do people do this anymore, This is a serious question At the club last night this was our session not done fartlek in a long time quite enjoyed it in a strange way. But i was wondering you don't see it in schedules anymore doesn't it have an importance anymore, because it can be as tough as you make it. I guess its all Intervals and tempo runs. Just wondering what others think of it or is it just an old raining method peeps don't do anymore
      It's terminology. Call it intervals, striders or Fartlek. On the track intervals tend to be more formal with specific times and paces for recoveries. But when it's on a trail it might be striders or Fartlek with less regimen.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I still do this. It is especially useful if you don't have time to get to a track but still want a good workout. You can do structured fartlek like 2 min fast, 2 min easy, 3min fast, 1 min easy, etc... If you want to push one of your regular local running routes and try to "PR" on it, fartlek is the way to go. I say keep it in the schedule to make things interesting.
        Pammie

milerBonnie good going Thats what we did last night. 1,2,3 minutes then 3,2,1 minutes with half recoveries hen further 1 minute efforts It was good fun in a group. Oh yes i'll keep it going. definiely keep it at a once a week job

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I think it's a society thing. Everything needs to be superstructured for people to feel good and tools like Garmins and nice tracks to run on make it easier to do this. Although I have just been doing easy runs lately, I love the fartlek. Just running hard over whatever terrain for a couple minutes keeps things fresh.
            Pammie

The best about fartlek i like is there is pratically no rules you make it up as you go along. Run hard to hat tree, or lamppost. I used to at times race boats on the river to a certain point - Fun Smile
                I love fartleks because they require no planning. (don't have to go to a track, I don't have to program my Garmin for intervals, etc.) I just pick a point ahead whether it's the next mailbox or streetlight or an entire block and race until I get to it. Then I'll slow back down to recovery and do it again. Most of the time I don't even log it as a fartlek run because I don't usually do it over an entire run....maybe just a small portion of the run to make it interesting.
                  Yep, I do them and the schedule I used when learning the basics had them. They're a great way to get some increased cardio or leg speed when running in an unstructured environment - like trails.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    I used to do Tabata intervals on a regular basis and loved them (8-12 sets of 20 seconds sprinting followed by only 10 seconds jogging). It's a killer workout that's great for building up your VO2max.
                    Pammie

Sounds interesting
                      mcrunner

yeah i did it last week i love them it's so much easier and more effective than 400 after 400 is this true?-- my coach told us its German for speed training

Certifiably Insane

my coach told us its German for speed training
                          Actually, fartlek is Swedish for 'speed play.' Yeah, I like doing fartleks. They're easy to do, regardless of where you're at. I like the unstructured style. It takes a lot of the pressure off of hitting a certain pace for a certain distance. When I'm on the track, I feel like I "have" to hit certain splits, because that's what my training schedule says I should run on that day. With fartlek, I can just run them by feel, which helps if I'm kind of tired that day, and can pretty much forget about the stopwatch. It doesn't tie me to the track, either. Sometimes, I'll do those on the roads, sometimes on the trails at the State Park, sometimes on the rivergreenway, just wherever I feel like running. I had never heard of Tabata intervals until today, but I have seen similar running programs. The rest interval was longer, but it was still the same idea. Hit it hard, shut it down before lactic acid has a chance to build up, short jog rest, repeat.
                          On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
                          Pammie

Thanks Runner John Yep fartlek s Swedish for speed play - means what it says
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thats what we did last night. 1,2,3 minutes then 3,2,1 minutes with half recoveries hen further 1 minute efforts It was good fun in a group.
                              Sorry to nitpick, but that's not really a fartlek, because it's so structured. That's a time-based interval session. The point of fartlek, as I understand it, is the randomness - the lack of structure. (Speed play) Run hard for a some undetermined amount. Recover for some random distance. Repeat for some unplanned number of times. Have fun with it. Try different paces. Go with the flow. I like the "run to the next streetlight" thing that someone mentioned. I used to run telephone poles back in the day. It's also fun to do farlek on a rolling hilly course. Blast the uphills. Recover on the downhills. Uptempo on the flats. Or just run randomly hard/easy and let the terrain do the work for you.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Sorry to nitpick, but that's not really a fartlek, because it's so structured. That's a time-based interval session. The point of fartlek, as I understand it, is the randomness - the lack of structure. (Speed play) Run hard for a some undetermined amount. Recover for some random distance. Repeat for some unplanned number of times. Have fun with it. Try different paces. Go with the flow. I like the "run to the next streetlight" thing that someone mentioned. I used to run telephone poles back in the day. It's also fun to do farlek on a rolling hilly course. Blast the uphills. Recover on the downhills. Uptempo on the flats. Or just run randomly hard/easy and let the terrain do the work for you.
                                Go running.

Runners run