broken collarbone, fractured clavicle (Read 1850 times)

did the search thing.

looks like some pain meds, lengthen the recovery time? same with NSAIDS?

any other input to quicken my recovery? DR says 4 weeks before running, that translates to a week or 2 for me. (DR being overly cautious)

Get off my porch

#artbydmcbride

Uh no, Oldman, this time its not Dr being over cautious, its about the time it takes for bones to knit new bone together.    The jarring around that running will do.........well, can you rollerblade instead?  Smile   (just don't fall)

Runners run

you dont want to be swinging your arms about in any way, that will lengthen your recovery.

milk?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nothing you do is likely to speed up or slow down your recovery.  Anything you do is really just to address the discomfort.

Sorry you got broke.

mikeymike

Nothing you do is likely to speed up or slow down your recovery.

Not even ultimate fighting?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, that may help.

thanks for the quick response.

need to come up with a witty comeback,  to the "what happened to you?"

body slammed by the son............

Get off my porch

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

SMART Approach

I set up a patient with an ultrasound bone stim last year that broke his collar bone on a Monday. Doc called me on a Friday. I set up the patient on a Monday. He was flying to Atlanta to race a 10K the upcoming Saturday. He was an elite masters runners and had sponsors who already paid for his flight. Prize money was involved also. This was his "job". He said he had to do it. He healed quickly using the bone stim. The race was tough but he posted an excellent time. No set back in the race but this was not ideal for him to race this.

For you, just stay nutritionally sound. If you don't consume dairy products, taking some calcium and Vit. D won't hurt elsewise. Try to avoid any motions/movements that make it hurt or cause fracture to move. If you have motion within the fracture site, you are at an increased risk for non union and thus surgery and or bone stim. Listen to your doc. If healthy and don't smoke/diabetes, you should heal fine and probably don't need the bone stim. If xrays show no improvement in a month, then this may be an option. Just be good!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

My all-purpose answer to this question: "knife fight."

thanks for the quick response.

body slammed by the son............

i usually start with the original incident to gain the persons trust, then go off on a grizzly bear wrestling tangent.

xor

For something involving broken bones, I usually offer up something mundane.  "I was shaving" or "I was taking out the trash".

Good luck.  You already know what a broken collarbone feels like.  You start swinging them arms and breathing hard, you may see pretty colors.  Take a teasy.

For something involving broken bones, I usually offer up something mundane.  "I was shaving" or "I was taking out the trash".

Good luck.  You already know what a broken collarbone feels like.  You start swinging them arms and breathing hard, you may see pretty colors.  Take a teasy.

never knew I'd get such colorful bruising.

yeah, now I know what a broken collarbone feels like, I'm ready to be healed, already.

Get off my porch

an amazing likeness

yeah, now I know what a broken collarbone feels like, I'm ready to be healed, already.

Oh...if my experience is at all similar, you'll get the pleasure of trying to find some way sleep for more than an hour or two at a time for months to come.

Yuck.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I broke my collarbone whilst mountain biking (dammit if my kid brother can make that jump so can I :/). Oddly enough cycling is something that you can do pretty well with a broken collar bone... certainly it's easier on the injury than running.