2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

1. Don Sullivan 2:48:43 !!!

Nice Job Don!  First place and sub 2:50.

http://onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php?race_id=18823#racetop

spinach

Don ran a great race yesterday, Congratulations.  It was good to meet him.  Unfortunately the LWTM didn't go too well for me, but that was expected since I am not in shape.  However I may have set another record for this sub 3:00 marathon forum.  I may have the closest to 3 hours without going over when I did 2:59:52 in San Francisco a couple years ago and now I may be one of the first who said there goal was to break 3 hours in a race and then not even break four hours in it. 

If I can get over this hamstring problem and get myself back in shape (getting old sucks) I will try to run a sub 3:00 sometime this fall.  Congratulations to Don and let me recommend the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon to any of you, it is a very fast course.

Don is a rockstar! Woot.

I'm super happy for you!! Congrats!! How does it feel Mr. Marathon Champion??

It sure was a great race weekend for all of my friends/family. I'm the only one that didn't PR, but hey...I won.

HermosaBoy

Congratulations Don!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Congrats Don!!

1. Don Sullivan 2:48:43 !!!

Nice Job Don!  First place and sub 2:50.

http://onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php?race_id=18823#racetop

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Thanks everyone.  It was a good day with almost perfect weather conditions for a marathon.  A tad windy on the last 10 miles, but nothing horrible.  One thing that was really encouraging is that I felt strong the entire way, from start to finish and didn't hit "the wall".  I had a tougher time mentally staying in the pace I wanted to hit because I was all alone from about mile 2 to the finish. I might have had a tad faster time in me if someone was pushing the pace, but who knows.  At any rate I hit my goal time and got a marathon win (something I never, ever imagined I'd achieve).

Quads are sore today, but overall I feel pretty dang good.

On a sadder note, we found out yesterday that one of the finishers in the race died shortly after he crossed the finish line.  I didn't know him, but understand that he was a young guy (35 years old) in the prime of his life.  My heart goes out to his family and friends.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
              The days of my youth are far behind
              My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
              Can't hear one-half that's being said
              And this is the message I want you to get
              I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

DoppleBock

Congrats Don - 1 oa - Nice - Nice - Nice

I have been running hills and trails and neglecting speed.  So I am strong and slow.  I would guess I am still a 3:06 marathoner right now - So I have a bit of work to do in the next 5 weeks.  Very doable:  1)  Lose 10 pounds and 2) do at least 1 speed workout each week.

My "A" race still remains Leadville, so I have to keep doing hills and trail - So most likely I will either have to combine speed into hills or trails or just do 1 speed workout each week.

If I fail at Grandmas that will mean I have to go sub 3 at Monkey - I do not like the sound of that at all!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

HermosaBoy

If I fail at Grandmas that will mean I have to go sub 3 at Monkey - I do not like the sound of that at all!

Angry Monkey

Rob

lynnhoj

Thought I could improve on my Boston time, so I entered the Toronto Marathon at the last minute.

The first-half of the course is downhill and fast. Ended up doing 1:23, but I had already started cramping by mile 12 or so.

Then the wheels came off and after the 3:05 pace bunny passed by, I called it a day.

First DNF.

Oh well.

Here's a pic of me going up the REALLY big hill on the course: 34th Toronto Marathon I'm in the group of 4 runners on the right-hand side, next to the guy in the orange shirt (not the group of three runners in the middle of the pic, the tiny group of 4 on the RHS of the pic).

DoppleBock

After a drunk'n Glutonous and non-running memorial day weekend camping - I have pretty much made sure I am a long shot for a sub 3 at Grandmas.  Last week I ran 4 days with 2 of the days just easy 6 mile runs - And no its not good taper - I am sluggish, heavy and slow.

But I will be doing everything I can these last 10 days to salvage what I can.  I beleive I am much closer to 3:05-3:06 than < 3 - But, I pulled one out of my fat ass at Milwaukee last fall.  Of course Milwaukee was a perfect weather day + light Tailwind.  I really do not think the old lady (Grandma) is willing to be so kind.

DoppleBock

SNAFU

Sunday 6/12 was a boating / camp fire - Drinking type of day - Scored 6 miles running and 16 beers. 

But still going to give it what I have Saturday.  I predict either a 2:58 or a 3:18

followed by many drinks and a big hangover

I really am hoing for a < 3:00 as then I can focus on Leadville 100M and 1 or 2 - 24 hour races the rest of 2011.  If not I will be running this  http://www.railstotrailsrace.com/ November 6th.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Good luck to all at Grandma's this weekend.  Dopplebock you're a beast man, I think you always have a shot at sub-3:00.

DoppleBock

Thanks we will see - I have tried pretty hard to sabotage the effort - But I am hoping to steal one anyway.

I do not think I have a chance at a new number - unless its on the wrong side of 3

2:45 X

2:46 open

2:47 x

2:48 x

2:49 x

2:50 x

2:51-2:54 open

2:55 x

2:56 x

2:57 x

2:58 x

2:59 x

3:00 x

3:01 open

3:02 x

3:03 open

3:04 open

3:05 x

3:06 x

3:07 X

3:08 open

3:09 X

I would be happy to repeat a 2:59 ... Someday I will fill the rest of them in

Good luck to all at Grandma's this weekend.  Dopplebock you're a beast man, I think you always have a shot at sub-3:00.

HermosaBoy

I would be happy to repeat a 2:59 ... Someday I will fill the rest of them in

Start easy my friend and use your strength to bring it home...

Rob

I Ain't Dead Yet!

I'm just completing my run to work and run home week this week.  13.5 miles each way with a 14 and an 11 book-ending these runs will give me 160 for the week.  I may just do 12 tomorrow 'cause I love palindromes.   

Ugh, legs are heavy, but I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be.  Eating a lot though and still down 5 lbs.  Any advice on recovery for next week with a 10K that I'd like to race on Saturday?