Garmin "Anal Retentiveness"? (Read 1076 times)

C-R

It's not like I'm claiming miles I didn't actually do, right?
    Right! And I'm with you on being sick. Not for as long as you but mine's been all week long - nasty congestion and I can't get any pace or maintain my HR in my zone. I've got a HM next weekend and I hope it will be cleared by then. Spring colds blow.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Gotta TRI

I'm waiting for a Whaazuuup from the old school crowd. Love the Bud Light ad teams. OK. "WHAAZZZZUUUUUP!!"
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
      rockintrax

No, I realize the course was measured accurately and is an offical USATF distance, but dodging people and not running the tangents exactly as measured (who does, other than elites with few or no people in front of them?)
        Hmmm ...I run tangents Wink But I also tend to be in the back - so there is no need to dodge people in order to run them. (Zoomie - I suddenly feel really fast, maybe next time I'll pretend I'm in the front while I run the tangents)
        Steph

A Saucy Wench

BTW - have you ever run on a track and worked out the different distances from inside to outside lanes while your on your run? Told you I was in need of a technolonerd intervention. Confused
          Yes/...I only run at the track if I am doing intervals, and if I am doing intervals I want to know how long/fast they are. Garmins are not very good on the track so I use THIS SITE to convert as most of the year the inner lanes are flooded.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

carmel - official course routes are measured along the shortest distance that stays within the course.
            JakeKnight

An unpopular opinion follows. If you're not a fan of reality, stop reading now. You won't like it. Clowning around
              It's not like I'm claiming miles I didn't actually do, right?
              Actually, yes it is. Maybe. It's your log and you can do anything you want in it, of course, but c'mon. You're just assuming the Garmin was entirely accurate. I've had plenty of 15 mile runs that had an extra few tenths added by the Garmin (or subtracted for that matter). You think I should count (or subtract) imaginary miles because the Garmin had a bad day? My last two marathons, one measured exactly 26.2 - the other 26.5. But it was the first one that I probably ran extra; that 0.3 at the CMM was a figment of Garmin's imagination and/or technical imperfection. It was registering .2 tenths long by mile 5 for some reason. Dude. Adding those tenths wouldn't be anal retentiveness. It'd be cheating. If you'd run the race and Garmin showed it was .29 short, would you have subtracted the .29 from your log? Of course not. Dude? Dude.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Of course...what about the year and a half that I was running and measuring my runs using Google Maps without elevation correction? So really I've probably estimated most of my runs over time on the short side of things...right? I figure it all evens out. Plus, according to my Garmin my overall pace yesterday was 9:56, even though what was officially documented was 10:05. So I'm keepin' that .29, goldurnit. Evil grin If I'd run a mile before or after the race for warm-up I'd still claim that as a separate distance from the race, even if it wasn't part of the race distance. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

I'm with you on this Zoomie. Count the mileage if it makes you feel better. Its sort of tempting to even go into the software and figure out what your 13.1M split was and record that time. Tempting ... but wrong.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

C-R

Yes/...I only run at the track if I am doing intervals, and if I am doing intervals I want to know how long/fast they are. Garmins are not very good on the track so I use THIS SITE to convert as most of the year the inner lanes are flooded.
                    Duuuude! I'm totally geeking out. Great site.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Duuuude! I'm totally geeking out. Great site.

Hawt and sexy

Dewd.

I'm touching your pants.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Is a subscription service need for GPS with the Garmins? Looks like a may be adding to my toy collection. The difference between men and boys are the price of there toys!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Had to say wasssuuuppp or wasabi The trail I run has half mile markers-- I am amazed that they really are .5 miles apart. When I turned around on the out and back today, I walked for about two minutes and the 405 is smart enough to stop timing. Not sure how but it is pretty cool. as everyone else said - if ya ran it, log it.

left-right-left-right-repeat

A Saucy Wench

Is a subscription service need for GPS with the Garmins? Looks like a may be adding to my toy collection. The difference between men and boys are the price of there toys!
                              No, there is no subscription service required. You can upload your data for free to the training center software or to Motion Based. MotionBased has a tiered analysis --limited for free, more stuff for $$. I've never paid for the service.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/