Why am I getting slower??? (Read 1467 times)

mb197314

Just a few weeks ago I was running training runs of up to 10 miles at an 8 mm pace with shorter runs at a faster pace. However, over the past couple of weeks I can't even get below 8's on my five mile runs. I can live with the 8:50 pace I had on my 17 miler Sunday but an 8:15 - 8:20 on five and six milers? I used to burn through those at 7:40's or so. I have ramped up my mileage for marathon training sdo I guess that could have something to do with it. Is this normal? Or am I progressing in a backwards manner?
    mikeymike

When you ramp your mileage your average pace often slows down, at least for a while until you adjust to the new workload. Other factors could be weather, sleep and a million other things. It's normal.

Runners run

Just a few weeks ago I was running training runs of up to 10 miles at an 8 mm pace with shorter runs at a faster pace. However, over the past couple of weeks I can't even get below 8's on my five mile runs. I can live with the 8:50 pace I had on my 17 miler Sunday but an 8:15 - 8:20 on five and six milers? I used to burn through those at 7:40's or so. I have ramped up my mileage for marathon training sdo I guess that could have something to do with it. Is this normal? Or am I progressing in a backwards manner?
        About three years ago, I was training almost exactly where you are today. I started slowing and then I got injured and couldn't train much for 14 months. I believe I was overtraining and now I train very (relatively) slowly. I only go under 8m/m on tempo or interval days. Don't know your age or background but it's possible you're headed where I was.

ScriptCal

If you make your log public it would be easier for these guys to give you advice. Listen to them when they do.
            I've experienced the same thing. Stress and lack of sleep can really slow you down. Sometimes the cold weather and the wind can have an effect on your running. Just don't get too frustrated. =DD