Burying my Garmin in Rice (Read 1218 times)

A Saucy Wench

The display appears to be shorting with all kinds of flickery randomness.  Dammit.  Any 205 or 305 specials out there?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

HermosaBoy

Rice?  Did you get it wet?  That's a great fix for cell phones that get wet...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

The display appears to be shorting with all kinds of flickery randomness.  Dammit.  Any 205 or 305 specials out there?

I don't know if its a deal or not but the forerunner 305 w/ accessories is $159.99 at target.com plus you can get 2-7% back with bing cashback.   I recently got the 205 from there for around 130 but its no on their site anymore.

nothing to see here.  

A Saucy Wench

Rice?  Did you get it wet?  That's a great fix for cell phones that get wet...

That's kind of what I am hoping the problem is. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

HermosaBoy

That's kind of what I am hoping the problem is. 

Worked great for my son's cell phone....

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marylander

I keep my 305 in a bag of silica packets when it's not on my wrist or charging (used to keep it in a bag of rice). If I buy another 305 I'm going to tape off the holes on the back... The problem is that I keep exposing it to moisture (sweat and/or rain).
              xor

And once again, I'm happy I bought a 310.

Marylander

Yeah, the 310 is on my wish list. I don't know why I haven't bought one yet, I've wasted money on other stuff while pondering the 310...

A Saucy Wench

The rice didnt work.  Tell me about the 310

Going to buy my 310 today.  Woohoo!  I'm in it for the extra battery life. 20 hours!  

Oh, and it's water proof... 'cept you can't get GPS signal underwater so forget it if you want it for accurate swimming stuff.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

xor

The rice didnt work.  Tell me about the 310

What you want to know? 

The form factor is a little different from a 305, but it is still bigger than a watch.  Big screen though. It was designed for triathletes, and though I won't swim with it, you can... so it will definitely handle PNW and being dropped in a puddle (or the toilet... stop it...) without incident.

The battery life is good, though I haven't learned exactly HOW good yet.  It recharges quickly too.

I never had a 305, though once upon a time I had a 201 that I hated.  Dunno how it compares to the 305 regarding accuracy or quickness to acquire satellites.  It does take a bit.

Sure am glad I bought the waterproof Polar RS800 CX Multi GPS watch.  Waterproof, 30 hours of battery for the GPS pod on a single AA field-replaceable battery. 

I don't understand why people keep buying the Garmins (I went thru 3).  Brand recognition, I guess.

GPS pod?  Well maybe that is why I don't buy a polar. :-)

I had the Garmin 201, then upgraded to the 305, and now just upgraded to the 310xt.  I'm very happy with Garmin.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

jdais

My 310xt gave me an accurate reading for a HM I did yesterday, 13.12(USA Track & Field 13.1 only if you run close to edges on turns).  Never had any issues with my edge 705 when cycling.

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

GPS pod?  Well maybe that is why I don't buy a polar. :-)

Yeah... keeps the watch smaller, lets you change the battery w/o stopping your workout, and lets you swap out bike pods (cadence, power, and speed) if you so wish.   It's actually quite brilliant.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/maximize_performance/running_multisport/RS800CX

And I had 2x Garmin 205s and 1x Garmin 305s in a one year period before I switched.  Before that, I had a Polar 710i that lasted 10+ years.   I'm 1.5 years into this one without a single issue. 

As an ultrarunner, it's really the only no-compromise solution I've found.

- 30 hours on one AA lithium.  If the run is longer, swap the battery and keep going...the watch keeps recording (because they are seperate).  The watch battery lasts a year and is user-replaceable.

- Barometric altimeter.  More useful in the field since GPS elevation gain/loss stats suck so bad.

- Up to 100 hours of recording data (even if the Garmin battery would last 24-30 hours, it can't store 100 miles worth of data points).  Recording interval can be picked: 1s, 2s, 5s, 15s, 60s

- Waterproof (you can swim with it)

- Data transfer is via IR, so you don't have the exposed charging and data transfer contacts on the back of the watch, next to salty sweaty skin (the cause of two of my failures).