The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

jeffdonahue

And Rick has ballz.

He definitely has his moments of clarity.  At times he seems wishy-washy as to what he should be doing as a leader.

but back on the roof in season 1 when Merle was going to kill the black guy (who's been in the show the whole time but I still dont know his name) and he stopped him saying something liek "we dont kill the living" and last night when he and Herschel knew those guys were trouble (though Glenn seemed a bit oblivious to it) and took them out without even thinking about it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting take on the name - I hadnt really thought of it like that.  Guess I'm just a zombie-lover that wants to see more of them Big grin

I wouldn't mind seeing more zombies, too, but for something much longer than a 2 hour story there's only so many zombies that can be dealt with before it gets repetitive.  And expensive and time-consuming.  The zombie make-up has got to be a really expensive and lengthy process.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He definitely has his moments of clarity.  At times he seems wishy-washy as to what he should be doing as a leader.

but back on the roof in season 1 when Merle was going to kill the black guy (who's been in the show the whole time but I still dont know his name) and he stopped him saying something liek "we dont kill the living" and last night when he and Herschel knew those guys were trouble (though Glenn seemed a bit oblivious to it) and took them out without even thinking about it.

Yeah, I thought about that, too.  Part of me thinks if they start killing the living they lose some of that strength in #s, but the other part of me thinks that some opportunistic living pose a bigger danger to the group on the farm than the zombies do.

I'm wondering how many are in that Philly group.  I suspect we'll have some new drama with the group on the farm having to watch their backs against walkers and other humans, now.  And I'm wondering about Merle, too.  I recall reading a spoiler at the end of the first season that said he'd joined-up with some other people.  I wonder just how many defined groups of living are in that general area.

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

I wouldn't mind it if there were no Lori, either.  If I had to choose zombies getting Lori or Glenn I would gladly sacrifice that chick.  She is not a likable character at all.  I actually like Shane more than Lori.

Given the choice of people I think could now be eliminated and the show wouldnt suffer much:

Sophia's mom

Black guy

Herschel's kids (other than the one sleeping with Glenn)

Lori and Carl seem to add no value, but I think if they were gone, Rick would off himself

People they should keep

Rick (he could use some help leading, but he seems the most sane of the men in the group)

Shane (kind of a dick, but he definitely adds a protection factor to the group)

Herschell

Glenn

Glenn's girlfriend (she's cute, and she puts out on a first date - what's not to like)

the Old guy - not sure why, but I like him and that he's the only one that sees how much Shane is losing control

People they should not have killed off

Merle (if he is dead, if not, bring him back)

Sophia (I think it would add to the show and Carl's character to have another kid in there)

Otis (Seriously, he rocked - for a fat slob who could barely outrun walkers, he was pretty useful)

Just my opinion of course

People they should keep

the Old guy - not sure why, but I like him and that he's the only one that sees how much Shane is losing control

I mainly agree except for that. I can see how he is the "Voice of Moral Reason" in the new world.... but seriously I don't need that... If I had to choose people for my post-zombie team, that kind of morality/attitude wouldn't have a place so he tends to really get on my nerves.... that and those ginormous nostrils... lol

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.
            lagwagon

Decent start to the second half of the season, but again - this is called the Walking Dead, and there just werent enough Walkers in this episode.  The mom was still alive under the other Walkers, and then the one that Lori hit, but that was it.

this^.  not enough dead walking.  nevermind what the title means, the first season was tense and chaotic.  now we're watching a daytime drama.  bring back the BRAINS!

seriously though, its time to sell the farm and move on.  and i'm a sixers fan so i'm surely biased, but fwiw, I would have glady traded shane for one of the philly guys.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BWE recap:

How did it take all night for the trio to get back to the farm? Didn’t it take Glenn and Maggie like an hour to get there and back on horseback, including f*ck time?

That made me laugh, since I wondered the same thing while I was watching.

I thought last night's episode was one of the more suspenseful ones of the season.  That walker putting its face through the broken car window to get at Lori was giving me serious creeps.

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

BWE recap:

How did it take all night for the trio to get back to the farm? Didn’t it take Glenn and Maggie like an hour to get there and back on horseback, including f*ck time?

That made me laugh, since I wondered the same thing while I was watching.

I thought last night's episode was one of the more suspenseful ones of the season.  That walker putting its face through the broken car window to get at Lori was giving me serious creeps.

Definitely more suspenseful than before, but maybe that was because there were more walkers in it this time.  Loved how his face seemed to be ripping off as he pushed it through the glass.

But seriously, how stupid is she?  A walker was just shoving his face through your windshield and you barely escaped.  You get out of the car, and the first thing you do isn't to look around (or at least right behind you) to see if there are any other walkers out there?  Freaking idiot.

In the scenes from next week - a fight between Shane and Rick?  I hate to say it, but I dont think Rick stands a chance against Shane.one on one.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But seriously, how stupid is she?  A walker was just shoving his face through your windshield and you barely escaped.  You get out of the car, and the first thing you do isn't to look around (or at least right behind you) to see if there are any other walkers out there?  Freaking idiot.

It reminded me of the horror movie thing where the lone character goes all alone into the creepy haunted house and asks "is anyone there?"

I wonder if she was disoriented or suffering a concussion.  She didn't really react when Shane pulls up behind her.  Though I'm not sure why I give her the benefit of the doubt--she thus far has not been a particularly smart or likable character.

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm not following the second season, but I read the graphic novel.  It's pretty engaging.  I'm not surprised you're not seeing more Zeds on screen.  A post-apocalyptic zombie story is more about how humans deal with post-society problems than it is about dealing with Zeds.  That's one of the beautiful things about this genre: the monsters themselves are hardly a challenge, the real challenge is internal to the main characters.

The only scene I really loved in Season 1 was when the woman had to kill her sister.  That was emotionally in line with the graphic novel.

Still, I look forward to seeing Season 2 when it hits DVD: who can really resist the post-apocalypse?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Any see the Torn Apart webisodes?  It's the short backstory of the wretched torn-in-half zombie that Rick kills while it's pulling itself across a lawn in the pilot.  The acting in the webisodes isn't all that great, but it's still kinda cool to see a little bit of what it's like earlier in the timeline.

Sometimes, the problem with post-apocalyptic stories is that they often gloss over what goes down during the apocalypse itself, and that can be quite gripping -- the breakdown of the social order, the chaos, the government and military trying desperately to hang on to control, the awful choices made over who gets saved and who dies.  Wish we could see more of that.

This week, loved the face-peeling in the car, despite the fact that Lori was just plain stupid for even being out there.  

Now that I'm on board and caught up with this show, it's quite different actually watching it in real time vs catching up.  When you watch a old show on DVD or streaming, you blast right through them and can often overlook  when things get slow (like I did watching all of Battlestar Galactica on Netflix -- finishing 75 episodes over the course of a few months allowed me to forgive the fact that some of that shit must've really dragged out), so I haven't thought of this show as going too slow, because I've been in catch-up mode until now.  

But now here I am, wishing I could just hurry up, start the next episode already and get off the damn farm.  On the other hand, when a show is really good, the delayed gratification is worth the wait, and it's a lot of fun to anticipate/dissect.  Hopefully, that's how the rest of this season will play out.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Any see the Torn Apart webisodes?  It's the short backstory of the wretched torn-in-half zombie that Rick kills while it's pulling itself across a lawn in the pilot.  The acting in the webisodes isn't all that great, but it's still kinda cool to see a little bit of what it's like earlier in the timeline.

Yup...those little mini episodes were good.  Like you said, not for the acting, but as sort of prequels to the larger story.

I'm sorta wondering if they will be forced to leave the farm to avoid the Philly crew.  I also wonder how that Philly kid storyline will play out.  I mean, the kid shouldn't have any allegiance to his former group--they abandoned him and left him as zombie food.  I'm not sure I see the Philly peeps coming back for him or him even wanting to be part of that group, any longer.  He has good reason to want to stick with Rick et al.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...a likable Lori moment.

~ Sarah Kay

ultramarathon/triathlete

...I would have glady traded shane for one of the philly guys.

I was thinking the same thing.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow, I hadn't watched any of the webisodes (I will now) but it is cool to see the backstory.

You're right though, the acting was pretty bad.  And why would the mom walk back into the crowd of zombies to let herself get eaten?  Clearly she knows shes's doomed, but she also has to know that's gonna be a verrry painful way to die.  Why not drive the kids to the green zone thing and then have one of the folks there shoot her in the head.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team