THE OFFICIAL DESI LINDEN THREAD ON RUNNINGAHEAD DOT COM (Read 2566 times)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Nice! 

vegefrog

I like her Smile Her story is very motivating and I wish her the best of luck @ the summer games!

kcam

Very good article.  The quote at the end is spot on.  Thanks for linking it, Nader.

BTW - I just did a quick look over your running log for races and, all I can say is, WOW!  You seem to have had a step-function improvement in your 5K.  Congrats.  Hard work paying off.

Thanks, man.

Yeah, the quote is good.  The things she says are not eloquent or ornate.  They're just simple and pragmatic.  For example:

"For the everyday athlete, the biggest piece of advice is enjoy what you’re doing and work really hard at it. What you put in is exactly what you’ll get out of it. You’ll have results." 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

She's wonderful.  Really wonderful.  But short.  And right now I'm trying to favor tall runners like Jason Hartman (6'3" - gives me hope).  But for Desi I think I'll make an exception because the story is so satisfying.

Also, a heelmasher?  Thought Meb was the last of the line in the top elites.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Doc, my tooth hurts

Great read, thanks for posting. 

I find it amazing how many athletes aren't the most hyped out of high school, but end up being at the top of their sport.

It's hard not to root for Desi.  She's not a glamour girl like Shalane and Kara, but she's smart and self-deprecatingly funny.

Desi always talks about the work; you get out what you put in.  Not that anyone at that level is a slacker, but you can really picture her as the female Bruce Denton: Trial of Miles and Miles of Trials.

Oh yeah, one more reason I think she's great:

SHE'S SHORT! Smile

just like someone else I, ummm... know.

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out

vegefrog

Oh yeah, one more reason I think she's great:

SHE'S SHORT! Smile

Yeah! As a 5'0 runner that's definitely one reason I love her!! Go shorties Smile

Bushrat Runner

Exciting times, and it is fun to see such a great story emerge over the past couple years. Can't wait to see how she does at the olympics and beyond.

Great read, thanks for posting. 

I find it amazing how many athletes aren't the most hyped out of high school, but end up being at the top of their sport.

Agreed. I also admire her tenacity  -- 6 years of training before she had a breakout race. I commented to one of my running friends "I wonder how many athletes in other sports would be willing to stick with it that long to see?"  Even Michael Jordan, who was known to work very hard, didn't give baseball 6 years before going back to basketball. 

Yeah but in that case Sports Illustrated told him to quit.

That's a lot of pressure, man.

MTA: GO DESI!

Why is it sideways?

Okay, Desi Davila just got mentioned in the same breath with Michael Jordan. I just wanted to note that.

HermosaBoy

Okay, Desi Davila just got mentioned in the same breath with Michael Jordan. I just wanted to note that.

Six degrees of Desi Davila?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob