Running on days off? (Read 754 times)

george nesrallah

Just wondering if it is adviseable to run on rest days? I am doing the 'Couch to 5 K' prgram, with 3 workouts a week with rest days in between. Can I do the workout even more during the week or will that cause problems? If not, is there any type of running that I can do on the off days? Thanks very much; sorry for all the questions. Take care.
      I would focus more on the long term George, think of your running "career" in terms of years not weeks. There is plenty of time to build your base and improve your speed, I would recommend you allow your body to adjust well by sticking to the schedule pretty closely. It's primarily designed to prevent overtraining while your musculoskeletal system makes required adaptations. You could do some light walking or biking, using the same muscles in a slightly different way with reduced impact. Just my two cents, I had a number of regrettable false starts because I was anxious to be a "real" runner and wound up trying to do too much too soon. Stick with it George, steady and strong as you go.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'm not sure if you're an absolute beginner, someone bouncing back from a layoff, etc., but I completed the C25K and OHR programs as rehab for a chronic injury. Rather than only doing three days a week, I just ran every second day throughout the programs (resulting in alternate 3 and 4 day weeks), and so far so good. I would, however, suggest keeping a day off between runs for the first while until you see how your body responds to the consistent training. I'm planning on adding a back-to-back day in my week very soon, but I'm keeping to the "very conservative" end of things given my history. Hope that helps...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

BeeRunB

Just wondering if it is adviseable to run on rest days? I am doing the 'Couch to 5 K' prgram, with 3 workouts a week with rest days in between. Can I do the workout even more during the week or will that cause problems? If not, is there any type of running that I can do on the off days? Thanks very much; sorry for all the questions. Take care.
          If you run on a rest day, it is no longer a rest day. Rest days are built into schedules because: training=work+rest Is there any reason you feel you need to run more than you are? What is your thinking? Walking helps in between runs. Get there slowly. Stay healthy. --Jimmy
            I would focus more on the long term George, think of your running "career" in terms of years not weeks. There is plenty of time to build your base and improve your speed, I would recommend you allow your body to adjust well by sticking to the schedule pretty closely. It's primarily designed to prevent overtraining while your musculoskeletal system makes required adaptations.
            George, this is some really good advice and I recommend you take it. The C25k program builds pretty quickly and DAWG said it best = you have to be caution of over training at first and causing problems in your musculoskeletal system. I can't even count how many times I have started running over the past 20 years - decided I could do more that I could - ended up hurt - and then 6 months do it all again.....FINALLY this past March I was slow and cautions and allowed my body to compensate for the work and suddenly its all working for me. Take your time and let your body adjust ---- in only a few months you will be able to add day and miles and in a year and a half, you'll be toeing the start line of a Marathon (wondering what you have gotten yourself into).....

Champions are made when no one is watching