The Dinner Table--RA vs. (and? or? with?) CR (Read 1880 times)

can we have dessert now?!
    Scout7

Introductions from former CR members are all over the board, maybe RA members should introduce themselves and give a little backround.
      OK. I'm Scout.
        Very good post Jeff. As a runningahead member(and a runner) for near on a year now, I was pretty quiet on the old forums unless I found something that I could contribute to. I find it just amazing here. The recent influx of new members certainly is change. But, I would not like to see it as bad change in that a diaspora sub-community develops that you get in the real world society. Simply put, CR refugees will have to integrate into our little piece of the internet and accept that certain processes and expectations of them may be different here. Similarly, we have to accept that the dining table will be busier from now on and we may need more seats to accommodate us all... Now, whats for desert (is that mississippi mud-pie i see?)
        Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
        Len

Damn Yankee

I haven't posted here much, but I've been using the log since I started running again in April. It looks like RA is becoming the melting pot of the online running world. There will probably be some growing pains but I bet the new folks from CR will blend nicely with the old skool RA members. I even took Nick's advice today and STFD during my run.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Dave

I guess I'm a member of the new hoards from CR and creator of the CR Refugees group. I created the group as a place to find former "board buddies" from CR and as a way of attracting people to come over. One of the first things I noticed was that there was a great existing culture over here in RA. It has been said before but I viewed the separate group or obvious CR thread labels as a way of linking up with old friends as we meet new ones, not segregating into cliques and not contributing to the broader community. My signature says it now and I'll reiterate. I am not a refugee that is going to sit in a refugee camp or remain a diaspora community (I just love saying that word Shy ). And quite frankly, I'm glad to leave behind the flame wars and well worn cliche debates that CR was deservedly famous for. So far, the folks I've seen move over here are some of the folks that influenced me the most (for the better). That said, all of you are blacklisted from the CRR group Evil grin Did anyone bring pumpkin pie? That's my favorite part of the meal.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well said Dave, Welcome (esp with P PieSmile
              Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Jeff - Thanks for starting this thread. What a great idea! The thing that I am most afraid of with this large influx of people from CR is that our message boards will get mean or nasty. I'm not trying to say that the PEOPLE from CR are mean and nasty. But there WAS a bit of a culture of trolling and sometimes flaming there that I didn't enjoy at all when I was a CR member. I also am very concerned about an "us" vs "them" mentality. Whether you've been here 3 years or 3 days, you are here now, and every RA member is just that: an RA member. And what makes RA special is the friendliness and support of the community. Each RA member, new and old, is equally responsible for keeping our message boards friendly and supportive. As an RA member, I pledge to do my best to keep this atmosphere a pleasant one. I ask y'all to do the same. Can I have some turkey? I likes me some dark meat, especially drumstick... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

This is very simple ... we all love running. Big grin Common theme, unified community helping each other (at whatever level we run). Big grin Pass the pie. Smile Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

You'll ruin your knees!

*buuuuurrrrrp*...oh, excuse me! Blush I'm going to run out for some pepto-bismol, anyone need anything? Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Did someone say beer run?

Why is it sideways?

Thanks everybody for coming to dinner--particularly the refugees who have posted. Great stuff all around. Just thought I'd say a couple of things about what I like so as not to have done all the asking with contributing something--most of this stuff has already been mentioned. The major thing I appreciate about the boards here is that running isn't an object of debate. It's what we do. There is a pretty solid recognition of the fact that folks are going to do it in different ways for different purposes. That fact isn't up for dispute. Not that we don't disagree. We do, and often, but in the end we've pretty much figured out from living in message board land that message boards don't change people's opinions unless folks are looking for a new way to think. And if they are looking for a new way to think, then the best way to introduce your way of thinking is not with a baseball bat, but with the recognition that none of us has had all the experience or the final answer. The difference between suggesting and telling is an important one for us. What else? I go over to Letsrun all the time--there's plenty of space for flaming and trolling in the virtual world, and there ain't nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. But it's nice to have other sorts of spaces, too, for those rare moments when you don't feel like rehashing--yet again--the difference between running and jogging, the relative merits of walk breaks, or whether or not an ipod is an appropriate accoutrement for running. I also like the publicity of the log. I think it puts the advice that is given into context. You can see what kind of runner you're talking with and make some sort of judgment about how their advice comes out of their experience. I think that's the secret to whatever sort of civility we've got here. Enough! or Too Much! Welcome again.

You'll ruin your knees!

Introductions from former CR members are all over the board, maybe RA members should introduce themselves and give a little backround.
                          Much of that found here...http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/a96fa29854314f99aa944e04b89bd2a1 Lotta stuff already out there... Hi, I'm jlynnbob! (currently in Texas but wearing pants)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, are you telling me what to do?!?