Any RA'ers affected? "Las Vegas marathon runners say they were sickened" (Read 1784 times)

A Saucy Wench

That routing thing is just one of many things they changed from last year that made this year's race a clusterfuck.  Last year both races started together and slower runners could actually get to their appropriate corrals from the get-go...because there were 16k fewer people to navigate.  The full marathon folks were diverted to the 2nd half of their race right before the HM runners headed to the finish.  That seemed to work well.  Not sure why RnR messed with a good thing. Confused

That has to do with the late start.  They had to do the extra country miles before it got dark so they had to reverse the marathon course.  Leading to the clusterfuck.  They should have started everyone together in appropriate corrals, but then the halfers - the bread and butter of the event - wouldnt have the nighttime vegas run.  All in all, stupid.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That has to do with the late start.  They had to do the extra country miles before it got dark so they had to reverse the marathon course.  Leading to the clusterfuck.  They should have started everyone together in appropriate corrals, but then the halfers - the bread and butter of the event - wouldnt have the nighttime vegas run.  All in all, stupid.

Ok, that's kind of what I was thinking must have been the rationale.  Perhaps they need to forget running the race at night.  It's a cool idea in theory, but in practice has proved to be really impractical--especially since Competitor has said that they want to let even more people run it next year. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Or just make it a half and be done with it.  RnR is starting in Portland next year  (no, I will NOT be participating ) and they are only doing a HM.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or just make it a half and be done with it.  RnR is starting in Portland next year  (no, I will NOT be participating ) and they are only doing a HM.

Yeah.  Given that the vast majority of entrants only do the half...they wouldn't likely lose any $$ over eliminating the full.  It would cost less in terms of medical and police personnel on the course.

~ Sarah Kay

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

I haven't gone back to read all the post but did any one happen to catch that RnR Vegas was to benefit the Crohns and Colitis foundation?

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Diarrhea diarrhea...

I like how they include the lyrics so you can sing along. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When you're playing with a monkey...

xor

I'm thinking of adding diarrhea to Monkey 2012.

I already show up every year.

xor

Speaking of the CEO making the huge PR gaff of "cheating" (legal disclaimer: cheating in quotes because I am not claiming that he knowingly cheated, though I am claiming that he knowingly cut the course and then took a medal, an age group award, and publicly claimed in an internet radio show that he ran the event) in his own event...  And speaking of this stuff being more an "event" than a "race".

A person purporting to be the president of competitor (a different position than the CEO, ahhhh) showed up in the Runners World message groups to defend his boss.  His two posts, when considered next to what the CEO seems to have done during and after, are quite illuminating as to the thought process of the company's leadership.

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/ceo-of-competitor-group-cheater

A Saucy Wench

I haven't gone back to read all the post but did any one happen to catch that RnR Vegas was to benefit the Crohns and Colitis foundation?

I forgot that.   Nice. So it wasnt a disaster it was allowing the participants to truly feel sympathy for the people that $0.01 of their entry fee went to benefit.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I forgot that.   Nice. So it wasnt a disaster it was allowing the participants to truly feel sympathy for the people that $0.01 of their entry fee went to benefit.

My BIL-to-be has Chron's and would get a kick out of that. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Slo

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/training/marathon-race-training/ceo-of-competitor-group-cheater

Awesome read. Thanks for the link.

RnR (Competitor Group) is pretty large advertiser in Runners World...I'm wondering if that thread will hang around for very long.

Ennay Big grin

xor

Yeah, competitor's meaning of "...to benefit" may not be the standard person's definition.