Running With Ipods or MP3 Players (Read 823 times)

Rundadrun27

This morning I was running on an Indoor Track at my local YMCA and a man stopped me and said that he noticed I was running the whole time with my MP3 Player in my left hand. He said that as a result my left arm does not move while I'm running and only my right arm is moving. He said that this can cause injury to my lower back. He said I should switch my MP3 Player to my opposite hand approximately every 4 laps. Normally I put my MP3 Player in an armband that goes accross my right arm, but I forgot to pack it in my bag this morning so I held it in my hand for my entire run. I wanted to know where you carry your Ipod or MP3 Player when/if you run with one.
      huh. that's interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that. I usually only use my iPod while running on the TM, so I place it on the shelf of the TM. I have an arm band, but if I'm running any longer than 30 minutes, it chafes my arms, so I usually don't wear it.
      -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
      Jill_B

I fly.

My ipod clips to my shirt - but my old MP3 player did not and I used to carry it. I'd try to alternate hands, but it usually ended up in my right hand.

Bring it on.

Double IPA Please!

I usually just drop it into the pocket of my running shorts/tights/pants etc..If I have no place to put it then I don't bring it.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Go Pre!

I can't tell you where I put mine.

Running Dad

well if that's true what about us that push a stroller every now and then? hmmmm....
              Things to do this year:
              Not get an injury
              Things done this year:
              Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                I run w/ a hand bottle in one hand (left hand) on almost all of my runs. I've never noticed any issues, but I'll have a friend watch me run to see if I compensate... interesting.
                  Because I'm always on call I unfortunately have to carry my blackberry. I keep it in one of the soft ipod cases in my left hand. It's annoying but I've gotten used to it. There might be a slight difference in my muscles but no problems and my arm swing has adjusted.
                  Run like you stole something.
                  Jill_B

I fly.

well if that's true what about us that push a stroller every now and then? hmmmm....
                    I know for sure that when I push the stroller I'm not swinging the arm that's pushing it. But the weight of the stroller reminds me to switch off arms. Smile

Bring it on.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This morning I was running on an Indoor Track at my local YMCA and a man stopped me and said that he noticed I was running the whole time with my MP3 Player in my left hand. He said that as a result my left arm does not move while I'm running and only my right arm is moving. He said that this can cause injury to my lower back.
                      If that dude stopped me mid-run, I'd tell him that my left fist can cause injury to his lower jaw.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I carry my phone/mP3 player in my right hand. I swing my arm normally as far as I know.
                        Goals: Run.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't carry my iPod (I have a Shuffle, so I usually clip it to my waistband), but that arm swinging thing reminded me of something. I seem to hug up my left arm to my body and not straighten it out much while I run. My weird inner elbow area tan line is proof: The inside of my right arm does not look like that and was evenly tanned by the end of summer. Even in race pics I often see me with my left arm kinda hooked. That's my Garmin arm, but I think I did that long before I started strapping that beast to my wrist.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My hubby bought me a handy dandy case that fits over my Ipod and has a trusty clip on the back of it so it protects the ipod and can clip to my waist band at the same time. It works perfectly. I used the armband a couple of times, but since I like to switch between music and podcasts and always adjust my volume and stuff, the armband became a PITA because I couldnt see what I was doing on the wheel. So I ditched it.

Member Since 2008

I can't tell you where I put mine.
                              Why does this phrase wory me soo much?

Bruno

I wear adidas shorts that have a zip pocket in the middle of the back--I put my MP3 player there and then run the cord right up the back of my shirt.