A Midsummer Night's Run - 1 of 5 (Read 830 times)

I know of 5 RAers ran this race in the east end of Toronto on Saturday night. 3 did the 15k and 2 ran the 30k. Here is my go at a mini race report. All photos courtesy of backstretch and family (the greatest support crew) Started the evening by meeting the crew. L-R: tuf_aint_enough, rururunner, daddyo, backstretch, JasonR A little confusion at the meet up... I managed to give a totally inaccurate description of where we should meet up, but we all got together before the race. The confusion continued as the race started late and there was a last minute switch of start order, the 15k was about to step to the start line when they switched the 30 k to start first. Weird. I did my usual.... went out too fast and faded in the end... but ended up pleased with my time. 1:22:08 for 15 k. tuf_ait_enough starting his second run of the day... a little 25k warm in in the AM before the evening 15k race. JasonR before he crashed and burned. backstretch & daddyo in the first 5 k of 30. daddyo sets a PR in the 30k. Now that we have the silly running part out of the way on to the good stuff.... BEER GARDEN Beer, food, Good Times

Go Pre!

Couldn't have said it better myself JR! As impressive as we all ran, Dave (tuf_aint_enough) HTFU'd big time running his 25k long run with his Saturday regulars in the morning and followed it up with a 1:09 15k while battling cramps. I know Jason mentioned hat but it needed to be reiterated. Trooper. It was a pleasure to run the first 5K with Pat (backstretch), a hell of a nice guy and I concur with Jason about his great support crew. Backstretch went on to finish quite a fine race. It was nice to meet Ruth (rurunner) too making it a 5 RA member night (6 if you count mrs daddyo who logs here but rarely posts) The race itself was marred by unorganized baggage check and way to few porta potties. The route itself, for 30k was interesting, spanning most of Toronto's eastern waterfront trail system although in the touristy section it wasn't closed off and there was much navigation to be done. Mrs daddyo plodded through the 30K on a lingering hamstring/piriformis issues and found herself alone in the dark on some of the trails and was somewhat spooked. Post race was awesome. Being a local race I found myself not only in the company of fellow RAers but about 20+ regular running buddies. It was a shame when they shut the beer garden down forcing us to find elsewhere to re/de hydrate! The bright side for me was a PR for 30k, 2:25:22, just shy of a BQ pace after a hard week of training and no taper....so I am pretty stoked. Looking forward to future local events with the local chapter of RA! ~D
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet!! Wait. Does that mean Daddyo is real? Uh oh. Shocked Wink

Go Pre!

You won't understand the Daddyo completely until he makes his way to the Monkey in 2009. Wait, why am I talking in 3rd person?
            The Midsummer Night's Run was fantastic! It was so wonderful to meet everyone in person - these guys are smokin' hot! Cool Thanks Daddyo for starting the group! This was my longest race ever so I PR'd! Big grin Time doesn't matter. Wink The night was truly magical. Many of the runners were dressed as fairies with wings and sparkles everywhere. We started the run in an industrial area then moved on to a man-made park which is a "spit" or finger of land that goes into Lake Ontario. I didn't know it even existed before. The terrain is ever-changing - from asphalt to broken asphalt, trails, gravel, a bridge and a mini-lighthouse. The sun was starting to set as we began our run and we got the bonus of a beautiful sunset with the Toronto skyline in the background. We ended our run in near darkness. It was truly magical for me, as it was my 51st birthday and I also celebrated a milestone of 8 years to the day when I had my last radiation treatment for cancer. Smile Thanks for the pics Backstretch! Ruru

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

NIce! Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The Midsummer Night's Run was fantastic! It was so wonderful to meet everyone in person - these guys are smokin' hot! Cool Thanks Daddyo for starting the group! This was my longest race ever so I PR'd! Big grin Time doesn't matter. Wink The night was truly magical. Many of the runners were dressed as fairies with wings and sparkles everywhere. We started the run in an industrial area then moved on to a man-made park which is a "spit" or finger of land that goes into Lake Ontario. I didn't know it even existed before. The terrain is ever-changing - from asphalt to broken asphalt, trails, gravel, a bridge and a mini-lighthouse. The sun was starting to set as we began our run and we got the bonus of a beautiful sunset with the Toronto skyline in the background. We ended our run in near darkness. It was truly magical for me, as it was my 51st birthday and I also celebrated a milestone of 8 years to the day when I had my last radiation treatment for cancer. Smile Thanks for the pics Backstretch! ! Ruru
                NOW THAT IS WORTH CELEBRATING!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

daddyo..... The Man, The Myth, The Legend! I totally forgot that I met Mrs. Daddyo....... d'oh Ruth.. I don't know how I missed that it was your birthday...happy belated... and what a way to celebrate the 8th anniversary!
                    It was truly magical for me, as it was my 51st birthday and I also celebrated a milestone of 8 years to the day when I had my last radiation treatment for cancer.
                    So much has been said already, but this warrants being repeated. Congratulations Ruth and happy birthday. Glad we could celebrate both milestones with you. Awesome meet up. Great bunch of folks. It was fantastic to relax post race with a few beers from local brewery Steamwhistle. I didn't eat, but the steak sandwiches, ribs and burgers from Dangerous Dan's looked awesome. A quick note about the race: despite a bit of pre-race confusion about start times, long bag check and porta-potty queues, I thought the organization was very good. Marshalling and on-course support was perfect. Results were posted promptly. The Leslie Spit was a great place for a race of this distance, though I think the 30k runners had issues on the back half of their course. 15k was great! Great views of the lake, marina and Toronto skyline. Lots of post race goodies to munch on. Oodles of prizes. Shirt and finisher medal where awesome. Top drawer. I went out a bit fast. First two kms were 4:16/4:19 respectively. I should have known that I could not hold that pace. Once onto the spit, things settled down and fell into a decent rhythm. The pack had shaken out a bit by now and I was focusing on my turnover and breathing. At the turn around by the lighthouse I could feel the effects of the morning's run. Legs were tired and this was not helped by the dodgy footing (gravel and loose rocks). At the 8k mark I got passed for the first time since the start. At 9k I walked 100m to shake out a stitch in my side which had been bugging me since 5k. A few more runners would slide by, but I would catch and pass them before the end. Coming off the spit, there was a bit of a headwind, but nothing too bad. Bearing down now and hanging on. Somewhere in here I missed a split. Passing a few runners here and there. With about 2k to go, I could feel someone pull even with me. Wasn't about to let someone pass me at this point. Just trying to match her stride for stride. She grunts something and I mutter 'almost done'. Little does she know if she surges at all, I am the one that's done. Her surge never comes, so at 750-500m from the finish, I push just a bit to drop her and see if I can't catch a couple of the blokes in front of me. I catch two and bring it home in 1:09:18. Good enough for 35/623 (5.6%) overall. Just missed the top 10 in my age group. Not a bad effort for a 40k day. Side note: Daddyo must be the 'Trent' of the Great White North. It is scary how many people he knew! Next Toronto RA meet-up: Oakville HM Sept 1 @ 7:40.
                    mikeymike

You won't understand the Daddyo completely until he makes his way to the Monkey in 2009. Wait, why am I talking in 3rd person?
                      You're assuming there will be an '09 Monkey. You shouldn't do that. Better bribe the RD to let you into the '08 version as it may be the last. Have you seen the guest list?

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It was truly magical for me, as it was my 51st birthday and I also celebrated a milestone of 8 years to the day when I had my last radiation treatment for cancer. Smile
                        Excellent on both counts! Sounds like such a great race was had by all involved! Love seeing the photos of you all. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

It was truly magical for me, as it was my 51st birthday and I also celebrated a milestone of 8 years to the day when I had my last radiation treatment for cancer. Smile Thanks for the pics Backstretch! Ruru
                          RuRu! This is awesome. Belated HB and way ultimate congrats on the 8 year milestone! We totally owe you a birthday beer or 6 at our next race! ~D
                            RuRu! This is awesome. Belated HB and way ultimate congrats on the 8 year milestone! We totally owe you a birthday beer or 6 at our next race! ~D
                            You're on! I'll run the 10 k starting at 7:30 in the morning - and I'll repeat my comments earlier - Shocked Shocked Shocked and I'll be ready for my 6 beers at 8:25 a.m. (In my wildest dreams!) 8 years? It was a lot easier than the 9 months before that. Wink Thanks!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Congrats y'all.

Vim