Geb the Great (Read 678 times)

Why is it sideways?

Haile Gebrselassie just ran 2:04:52 in the Dubai marathon after going out in a mind-blowing 28:38 (4:36 pace) for the first 10k. He missed his own world record by 27 seconds, but now owns the two fastest times in marathon history. I can't wrap my mind around that sort of effort.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I once ran a HM in about that time.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Haile Gebreselassie just ran 2:04:52
        My HM PR is 2:04:03...so if I were given a 13.1 mile head-start I could have kicked his ass... Black eye

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I can't wrap my mind around that sort of effort.
          I can't either ... hell, I can't imagine running ONE sub 5 min mile .. let alone 26 (point 2). It blows my mind
          2009: BQ?

Why is it sideways?

He's 34 and has been a world class runner for over a decade and is still improving. That's really inspiring to me.
              Awe inspiring, really. In that photo he looks like he's flying. Definitely the man to beat in Beijing.
                Wow. Shocked That's all, just WOW.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Pfft! He said he was gonna go below 2:04. Roll eyes Edited to add: Ok, I've had lunch, run a few errands and got a few minutes worth of nap in. I still can't wrap my mind around what an awesome runner he is.

Golden Buff

The photo Jeff posted captured Geb's secret. He never touches the ground. Cuts down on the friction. Big grin
                    Curt

#artbydmcbride

And instead of breathing hard, he smiles all the way. He is the greatest!!

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

I had the privilege of crossing paths with him today (it's an out-and-back). He was movin'! The Ethiopians were going nuts out there. Man, 27 seconds from $1 million. Undecided

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

I'm actualy rather disappointed (though still impressed!!). Reports were that he was going to go for even splits. Instead he goes out at 2:00:30 pace for the first 10K (!!!!), effectively destroying his changes at a WR. I'd understand if the point was to break 2:00, but not 2:04. I am a big Geb fan but unless he was secretly trying to break 2:00 while holding himself publicly accountable to a lesser goal time I would call this a "rookie" mistake (I use the term rookie LOOSELY!!!). I think for a cool $1 million I'd have gone for 2:03:XX and called it a day. Geb is an enourmous talent, and I truly believe he's got a 2:02 in him on the right day. He clearly had AT LEAST 2:03:XX in him today if he'd have paced more evenly. IMHO he took quite some time mastering the marathon for an athlete at his level, and I'm concerned that age will catch up to him before we see his potential in the event. I REALLY want to see him run 2:03 or better!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I think you bring up some good points. He had said earlier that he planned on getting below 2:04. I'm having a hard time having negative thoughts about a performance like this, though. I just can't really fathom speed like that.
                            Len

Damn Yankee

I had the privilege of crossing paths with him today (it's an out-and-back). He was movin'! The Ethiopians were going nuts out there. Man, 27 seconds from $1 million. Undecided
                              Umm, PerfesserR- you're going to have to do better than that. You ran the Standard Chartered? Yeah, that is definitely going to require a lengthy race report, and soon. More pictures wouldn't hurt either if you got 'em.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Imminent Catastrophe

I'll write something up but it will take awhile, its a long flight back Tongue

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016