Commit to a sub-4 marathon in 2011 -- then run it (Read 4265 times)

After my run today, I am gaining confidence that I can do this at grandfather, did not fall apart on my little rolling course, and got 5 more months to add to my hill running ability.  

Please take me off the list.   travel to far off lands ahead.  Probably little running for me in the months ahead.

Didn't make it, but was very happy with my time fourcolonzerosixcolonzerofour

That is almost a 30 minute PR.  

Was on schedule until mile 23, but for some reason, didn't have the "go" when I needed it.  Ran the last 1.2 miles in 14 minutes, but mile 24 to 25 was what cost me.  

Had no reason to be close.  Training was abysmal, very few long runs, and spent the last month battling a groin injury.  But conditions were ideal! Couldn't have hoped for better, and I felt pretty good through most of it.  Mild abdominal cramping, but resolved post race.  Thought I "bonked" but really had no cramping, mild soreness, and already feel fairly good.  Hate to say it was mental, but that's what I think it was.  Not sure I could have done it if I was able to push through it, but gives me a lot inspiration for MTC in October.   

Meet Trent at the beginning, but wasn't able to make it to Fitgers because my kids looked too tired.  Sure they enjoyed their brews.  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice meeting you this morning.  Sorry about those last tough couple miles.  Yeah, the beer and food were great!  Good work overall!

Jill_B

I fly.

I'm throwing my hat into the ring...

Jill_B ..................Oct 1.........St George Marathon...........????

Bring it on.

Turbolegs

Didn't make it, but was very happy with my time fourcolonzerosixcolonzerofour

That is almost a 30 minute PR.  

Was on schedule until mile 23, but for some reason, didn't have the "go" when I needed it.  Ran the last 1.2 miles in 14 minutes, but mile 24 to 25 was what cost me.  

Had no reason to be close.  Training was abysmal, very few long runs, and spent the last month battling a groin injury.  But conditions were ideal! Couldn't have hoped for better, and I felt pretty good through most of it.  Mild abdominal cramping, but resolved post race.  Thought I "bonked" but really had no cramping, mild soreness, and already feel fairly good.  Hate to say it was mental, but that's what I think it was.  Not sure I could have done it if I was able to push through it, but gives me a lot inspiration for MTC in October.   

Meet Trent at the beginning, but wasn't able to make it to Fitgers because my kids looked too tired.  Sure they enjoyed their brews.  

Nicely done man !!! You need to take off less than 15seconds a mile !!!

I am up in 2 weeks time but not confident at all - havent been able to get in my long runs in at all, and my mileage over the past few weeks has suffered quite a bit. Any tips for how i can salvage anything? Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

At this point, focus on getting there healthy. The best thing I did was rest. Also helps to make running buddies to help you along. I meet 2 people along the way, and saw them again near the 23 mile mark. I wished I would have "grab onto" one to help me , but didn't want to feel like a anchor. In retrospect, would have liked to see what would have happened.

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

MMEsq

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads on the board.

Put me down for the Marine Corps Marathon (October 30, 2011).

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'll be there Smile

Thread updated.

Wish me luck ,... may be dropping out depending on what the physio says tomorrow.  Am optimistic due to I have been getting better with self-treatment, but who knows what could happen.

I got some big bike rides planned for the fall just in case though Sad

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Am I doing this right?

I'll be there....spectating.  Good luck.

No excuses....

Well, it's over for me.  

It's clear that whatever hamstring/knee/calf issue I have is going to be a serious struggle if I am to keep training, especially now when I should be aggressively building mileage.

I've trained through tough injuries before, and I'm just not up to dealing with the frustration right now, only to get to the starting line with a level of training that most certainly will be disappointing to me.

So I'm switching to cycling for the near future, which doesn't seem to negatively effect my leg at all.  

I'd still like to do the thread though.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Hello, I just found this site (fantastic for logging workout data), and want to throw my hat into the sub-4 in 2011 ring.

Details: I ran my first marathon last year in 4:18. It was hot, but I think my biggest problem was under-training.

I just started the Pfitzinger 18/55 plan for the Baystate marathon in Lowell, MA on October 16, 2011.

5K PR (2010) - 21:11

10Mi PR (2011) - 1:13:13

13.1 PR (2010) - 1:44:45

The various race predictors online tell me I can do it, so I feel like as long as I stick to the plan I have a good shot.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear it Big Boy.  Take it as a minor detour, as I am sure things will improve with not running.  Will look forward to hearing about your 2012 marathon plans.

Enjoy the bike rides.  

tmcna

2018 Goals:

Grandmas Marathon

Bigboy:   +1 on what tmcna just said.

mattg42:   our pr's are very close.  stick to a good solid base building plan & you have it in the bag!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hello, I just found this site (fantastic for logging workout data), and want to throw my hat into the sub-4 in 2011 ring.

Details: I ran my first marathon last year in 4:18. It was hot, but I think my biggest problem was under-training.

I just started the Pfitzinger 18/55 plan for the Baystate marathon in Lowell, MA on October 16, 2011.

5K PR (2010) - 21:11

10Mi PR (2011) - 1:13:13

13.1 PR (2010) - 1:44:45

The various race predictors online tell me I can do it, so I feel like as long as I stick to the plan I have a good shot.

Thanks!

Stick with the plan and you should easily go <3:50 .

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/