Happy National Oatmeal Month (January) (Read 957 times)

Former runner

Ross

I think that's the same as Scottish Oats isn't it? Yum. A little honey on the Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oats and it's awesome. Oatmeal needs some better representation. I don't think Wilfred Brimly was the best at reaching the youth of America. They need to get Snoop Dogg to bust a song about Oatmeal. It seems to have worked for Brandy. Excuse me... I mean Cognac.

MrH

I do have my oatmeal daily, but it is the processed Quaker stuff that has a fair amount of added crap, simply because of the speed/convenience of sticking it in the microwave for a minute in the morning. I should investigate the steel cut type if a quick recipe works.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I think that's the same as Scottish Oats isn't it? Yum. A little honey on the Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oats and it's awesome. Oatmeal needs some better representation. I don't think Wilfred Brimly was the best at reaching the youth of America. They need to get Snoop Dogg to bust a song about Oatmeal. It seems to have worked for Brandy. Excuse me... I mean Cognac.
          No question. Oatmeal marketing has been poor. I'm an oatmeal evangelist at work. I've converted a bunch of people to eating old fashioned oats instead of the packets, which are no more nutritious than a bowl of fruit loops. At home I go steel cut but that's not easy to make at work and they won't let me plug in a crockpot at my desk. Roll eyes. Man, a cut up banana and a tbsp of natural peanut butter swirled into old fashioned oats is like dessert for breakfast to me. Everything you ever wanted to know about oats

I LOVE oatmeal Big grin...add a little honey, some blueberries and almonds and..well I don't know what more I could want!!!!!!!!!!!!
            "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
              I do have my oatmeal daily, but it is the processed Quaker stuff that has a fair amount of added crap, simply because of the speed/convenience of sticking it in the microwave for a minute in the morning. I should investigate the steel cut type if a quick recipe works.
              Steel cut takes 30 minutes minimum. Old fashioned oats are microwavable and way better than the packets. My daily recipe at work: 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (not the quick one minute oats) 3/4 to 1 cup hot water (We have a hot water dispenser in the water cooler) 1 banana 1 to 2 tbsp natural peanut butter (optional) Cook the oats and water for 40-60 secs in the microwave on high. Watch to make sure it doesn't boil over - messy. Add the cut up banana and optional PB, stir and microwave on high another 30-45 secs. I add a little milk to make it creamier. The banana sweetens it enough for me but you can add honey. Works great. I haven't treid to make steel cut oats in advance and reheat at work. Afraid it might get kinda gummy.

I make five servings of steel cut oats at a time on the weekend and reheat a single serving in the microwave each morning. I add cinnamon, ground flaxseed, and blueberries. When I am running a lot of miles I sometimes add some natural peanut butter.

Jackie

Queen of 3rd Place

Bob's Red Mill Meusli (rolled oats and other grains, nuts & seeds (sunflower, almond, walnut, flaxseed), raisins & dates) A spoonful each of wheat germ, flaxseed, honey 1% milk Microwave 30 - 60 sec (depending on quantity and microwave) Heaven in a bowl! In the summer I skip the microwave step and it's just as good. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

Best Present Ever

I love my steel cut oats. My favorite local coffee shop serves them with blueberries, strawberries and bananas. That and a skim latte are the perfect post-long-run protein and carb combo. Like JK219, at home, I cook a week's worth at a time, then reheat for breakfast. I also boil the water at night, add the oats, cover and leave off the heat overnight. In the morning, it just takes a few minutes to finish cooking them.
                    lap

I do the same as mamaofthree (boil the steel cut oats and assorted dried fruits for 10 minutes, then leave them on the stove in the pot all night). I have one added tip. I've found the bigger the pot, the better. With a larger pot, less muck accumulates on top of the oatmeal. The muck tastes fine, though, so this is mainly an aesthetic concern. I tend to order a case or two at a time here. http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/steelcutoatscase.aspx Shipping costs are very reasonable.

uncontrollable

I love my steel cut oats. My favorite local coffee shop serves them with blueberries, strawberries and bananas. That and a skim latte are the perfect post-long-run protein and carb combo. Like JK219, at home, I cook a week's worth at a time, then reheat for breakfast. I also boil the water at night, add the oats, cover and leave off the heat overnight. In the morning, it just takes a few minutes to finish cooking them.
                        That would work for me ... do you store it in tupperware?

peace

flatland mountaineer

You can get packets (regular flavor) without the added sugar, flavorings etc. still have some added salt maybe not as good as steel cut but hey its a heck of alot better than Captan Crunch and its fast! .......and a pretty good food for us mono gastrics.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Steel cut oats? Sounds interesting . Will give it a try.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Best Present Ever

That would work for me ... do you store it in tupperware?
                              I store it in whatever, a covered bowl or tupperware. I take it to work in individual tupperware and heat in a ceramic bowl because i don't like to heat things in plastic.
                                I eat oatmeal almost every day. I throw in whatever fresh fruit I have (bananas, berries, peaches) so it tastes different every day. Love the stuff.