Help me fuel my day (Read 736 times)

Life has gotten crazy and I don't feel I am eating right. I'm in college, a music major. Those of you that have been or have ever known music majors know that it is a "never sleep" major. I'm trying really hard to eat right and get in some exercise but I haven't figured out the right balance. Give me some ideas. Here is an example of my typical day (this was today): 6:30am - wake up get ready, eat breakfast (today this was a multi-grain bagel, with nothing on it... sometimes breakfast is Cheerios and a banana). I also have around 1.5-2 cups of coffee (with fat free half and half, and a little Splenda). 7:45ish - at school warming up (it's a brass player thing, I guess) 8:30 - noon - I'm in classes. Noon - lunch. Today: roast beef and provolone on whole wheat bread, raw broc and carrots, a cup of fat free yogurt. Water. I drink a lot of water. after lunch, I am in classes, rehearsals, practicing, or studying until about 8:30pm. I eat dinner at 6pm... tonight it was a cup of Easy Mac, some kidney beans, and some yogurt. And a diet coke to wake me up before rehearsal. (On other days I typically eat a lot of white rice... I know, no nutritional value, I just love white rice. I have a wicked sweet tooth too, especially after coming home from a long day). Unfortunately, the only time I can make it to the gym is 9pm, after a day of go-go-go-go-go. I just don't feel up to it half the time, but I force myself. Though tonight, I just didn't feel good by the time I made it to the gym. Maybe the culmination of a really long week. But I really feel like I could be fueling myself for my lifestyle a lot better. Waking up at 6:30 and getting home at 10:30 or 11:00 is going to start taking its toll. Any suggestions? What should I eat more or less of? I want to feel better. Should I snack more and make less of my meals??? Any specific recipes or ideas for me? Easy is good, time is not on my side. Plus things must be packed, as only a few nights of the week I can actually eat at home. I hope this post makes sense, I'm pretty tired. Please let me know what you think I should do... Smile

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Member Since 2008

We need a little more information, (trying to loose weight? run faster? run longer?) From the meals you described, it does not sound too bad. Stay away from processed foods, (mac and cheese) and cut out the diet soda and splenda. You will notice a difference just by getting rid of that crap.
        We need a little more information, (trying to loose weight? run faster? run longer?) From the meals you described, it does not sound too bad. Stay away from processed foods, (mac and cheese) and cut out the diet soda and splenda. You will notice a difference just by getting rid of that crap.
        I would like to lose a little weight (and thus run faster). I'm not overweight, but I'm not in the greatest shape right now. I've definitely packed on a few extra pounds. I think on some days I eat too much of the same kind of food - crackers, bread, rice, bagel... Thanks, Go PRE

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Why is it sideways?

First off, your body is not a car. It doesn't get fueled. Second, your body is not a slave that you make do things and occasionally throw it a scrap of stuff so that you can have a lifestyle . It doesn't depend on you. You depend on it. Let me remind you: without your body, you don't exist. In my opinion, you've got the whole thing upside down. You're trying to tell your body what to do. But your body is the boss; it makes everything you do possible--or, if you beat it down, impossible. Since your body is in charge, whether it's with you or against you, listen to it more regularly. That way, it won't scream at you frustratedly and unintelligently to "eat now--and lots!" because you've been ignoring it. If you develop a conversation with your body instead of caging it in rigid plans or bombarding it with unconnected eating gambits, then you'll feel better, be more healthy--and as an added bonus, be more productive with the time you have.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And. Of course. Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html
            I did NOT see that coming. Seriously. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

....got my BA & MA in music comp in 1998 & 2000 - it truly is the major that never allows for sleep....

TRUST THE PROCESS

....got my BA & MA in music comp in 1998 & 2000 - it truly is the major that never allows for sleep....
                Awesome, do you still write?

TJoseph

You eat way better than I did in college. I hated the cafeteria food and ate a lot of top ramen.
                  CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

So you eat at 630, noon and six. Do you have any snacks in between? It's good to eat well at meals, but if you find your energy level sagging between meals, a small snack might help pick you up. Some days you might just be worn out and that's not necessarily your diet. That's just life when you are on the go for so many hours.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

So you eat at 630, noon and six. Do you have any snacks in between? It's good to eat well at meals, but if you find your energy level sagging between meals, a small snack might help pick you up. Some days you might just be worn out and that's not necessarily your diet. That's just life when you are on the go for so many hours.
                      I think snacks are a problem. I don't typically feel hungry between meals, or I ignore it. I need to fix this.

Queen of 3rd Place

How are you sleeping? That diet coke in the evening made me wonder. That, and working out in the evening would make it hard for me to sleep. What about an am or lunchtime workout and ditch the coke? I know it's hard to get up in the am...but it really can energize your day....might be worth a try. Arla

Ex runner

Actually, this week I completely went without any diet coke or coffee. I had only water. Once I finally get in bed, I sleep fine.

JakeKnight

Sounds like you eat ridiculously healthy to me. You should stop that. It's bad for you. My suggestion is an obvious one: run in the mornings before class. Yeah, yeah. I know. It's hard getting up at 5. You're not a morning person. You're a college kid, fer Pete's sake; getting up that early is probably unconstitutional for college kids. But I bet if you tried it for two weeks, your running would be infinitely better, you'd feel healthier throughout the day, you'd have more energy, and your body would more readily self-regulate what it wants to eat. I could never do your schedule, workout in the evenings, and still eat right. It's the morning run that sets the whole day for me. 6:30 is frickin' sleeping in.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Baby bean!

I think Jake has a point in terms of waking earlier. Okay, breakfast...bagels are bad. Try toast with peanut butter and sliced banana. Lunch sounds good. Is there any lettuce and tomato? What about something on the bread? Hummus would be really good. The yogurt is a great addition! As for dinner, trade in the easy mac for some rice and along with the beans, you have a good source of protein. Or a cup of soup, just be cautious of the sodium. I'm assuming you don't really have a choice in the food since it sounds like you are not at home assembling everything. Someone suggested snacks. Even if you aren't feeling hungry, you still need to eat something. Try apple slices with peanut butter or celery sticks with hummus or even a pb and j sandwich. Sorry, I keep pushing peanut butter. I don't know about your college but I remember having tons of choices, from subway to hibachi to pizza to soup. Good luck.

Goals:
                              Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.