Introducing speed work (Read 825 times)

aybeerunning

Hello: I've been running 25-30 mpw for about 10 weeks now and recently tried introducing some speed work. Last week I did a short tempo run(6k) and another run when I progressively improved the pace over a 10k up to a speed of 12kmph. While I was surprised that my pace at about 150 heart rate improved from 9.6 kmph to 10kmph, my left calf / achilles has started to ache. I had an small injury on the achilles tendon on the same leg when I started running 6 months ago so am a little nervous about this. I guess I am doing too much and will try 1 speed workout per week. What sort of speed work is the easiest on the body? I am guessing that intervals are too intense at this point. My current speeds are; recovery ( 145 beats) 9.6 kmph easy (150-155 beats) 10 kmph and perhaps 10.6 as a steady state run (155 -163 beats) I can hold 11 Kmph for about 20 minutes at 160-165 beats and 12 kmph for about 5-10 minutes. Thanks, AB (34 y/o, resting heart rate 60, max probably 180) ps: My log is in runnersworld and am waiting for eric to introduce the import program to transfer it to RA
      I have heard it said for a recreational runner like most of his here we shouldn't do more than about 10% of our miles as some type of speed workout.
      Slo

I like to start by saying I am not a coach or an expert. So take this FWIW If you've only been running for 6 months and during that time you had an injury AND you have been running 25 -30 mpw for 10 weeks then I'd say your doing to much by adding in speed work. Volume 1st. Figure out what your schedule allows for a max MPW. Work your way up to that mileage. 30 - 35 mpw if your somewhat serious about being faster. Double that number if your really serious about being faster. To answer your QX, All higher intensity work outs stress the body. That is what they are supposed to do. Unless you are preparing for a PR there is no sense in adding "speed" workouts other than maybe occasional Fartleks. How much were you running prior to the 10 weeks of 25 -30 Mpw? And is it M's and not K's since all your other data is K's.
          I like to start by saying I am not a coach or an expert. So take this FWIW
          I dont know SLO...you may not be a coach or an expert, but you sure do give good advice.. Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Slo

Well Thanks John. Running is a pretty old sport. The basis of training hasn't changed much. What does change is the runner. Abilities, goals, work ethic, reasons for running.....etc.
            aybeerunning

I like to start by saying I am not a coach or an expert. So take this FWIW If you've only been running for 6 months and during that time you had an injury AND you have been running 25 -30 mpw for 10 weeks then I'd say your doing to much by adding in speed work. Volume 1st. Figure out what your schedule allows for a max MPW. Work your way up to that mileage. 30 - 35 mpw if your somewhat serious about being faster. Double that number if your really serious about being faster. To answer your QX, All higher intensity work outs stress the body. That is what they are supposed to do. Unless you are preparing for a PR there is no sense in adding "speed" workouts other than maybe occasional Fartleks. How much were you running prior to the 10 weeks of 25 -30 Mpw? And is it M's and not K's since all your other data is K's.
              Thanks. I run about 48-50km per week. I started running only in April. I did about 30 km per week in September and about 20 km in August. I am not planning any races except perhaps something towards the middle of next year. Rather than introduce speed work then, I thought it may be easier to gradually introduce it from now on. Perhaps I need to reevaluate that. I currently run 5 days a week with one of those just being a 6km recovery day. The other two days of the week I swim. To get to 35 mpw (56km) is it better to add another day or spread it over the current 5 days? My long run is about 16-18km. ab

Future running partner.

I agree with SLO. I would focus on building mileage to where you want it to be and holding it for a while to build a solid foundation (BASE). Once you feel you can do it comfortably for several weeks in a row. You can add some more intense workouts, but only at most 2 quality sessions/week. I would recommend the only speed work you do now is in the form of striders, done at the end of an easy workout. These will make the transition into more quality stuff later much easier and reduce your chance of injury. About 2 or 3 days a week, when you finish an easy run run 4 to 8 pick ups where you start easy and gradually increase your pace until you are running fast but smooth and in control. Just when you start to feel yourself breathing hard slow down to a walk, completely recover and do another one. If done right you'll notice feeling more flexible, and your downhill speed will improve without any extra effort. Once you feel you have a good base and are ready for faster training pick a race that you want to train for that's about 12 to 15 weeks away and start introducing some quality sessions.
                Slo

"I currently run 5 days a week with one of those just being a 6km recovery day. The other two days of the week I swim. To get to 35 mpw (56km) is it better to add another day or spread it over the current 5 days? My long run is about 16-18km. " In my opinion......Both. I swim too. Except my pool has been out of commision for the last two weeks and they are telling us it will be another two weeks before it's opened again No If you can manage it I would shoot for 6 days/week. If not 6 days per week then consider a 2 fer day. Long runs pushing 50 mins or more are also important. The more I read the more I believe that the magic number for a long run is 90 mins. This seems to be where we get the greatest benefit from our extended efforts. One thing I have learned in my Triathlon training is that the mileage isn't nearly as important as the time. Rather than thinking in terms of a 7 mile run we should be thinking in terms of a 50 min run. It all comes down to semantics but a 7 mile easy run for me is just an easy run. For someone else that 7 mile run could be a 75 min workout requiring a rest day the following day. One thing I like about swimming is I can get a good hard swim workout in in the AM and that evening still go out for a good quality run. I was swimming 3 -4x per week and running 6 days per week prior to the pool going down. Now I feel like I'm getting fat! I can't smell that chlorine in my sweat. I don't think you have to re-evaluate what your doing. Most people are under the assumption that to run fast you have to train fast. In reality you have to train LOTS ! You already have fast......what you want is being fast over the whole distance. Keep running !
                  aybeerunning

Thanks. Let me try to build up to 35+mpw over the next couple of months and see what happens. I will take just one workout a week and try to gently increase the pace for a short duration. I did a nice slow run this morning and boy did it feel good. Maybe I am just getting impatient and the speed will slowly build over a period of time. Appreciate all the suggestions and inputs. ab