If you are passing someone in a race - should you say something or not? (Read 1608 times)

I know when I am passed I appreciate it when they say something encouraging - however are others offended? What do you think?
    "Live Healthy" www.blonderunner.com/blog/ Goal: Under 18:00 min in 5K
      I am reluctant to play along but I am going to a race in 30 minutes and can't resist. Depends... are you an elite... are you contending for the win? are you contending for an age group... mid packer... back of pack? I think etiquette may be different. I think if you look at the other runners perspective you will know the answer. Think about it: If the person you are passing wants to win or beat you or is competing for age group NO If you say anything it is almost like taunting unless you know them or they are clearly in another age division such that you are not in direct competition. However, you still run the risk of appearing condescending. If you are mid-pack A definite maybe ... Hard to tell here. You have folks that are serious about their running here and every person that passes them is the enemy. There are those who like encouragement. Edit:(um not that the back of the packers don't but they tend to not take it TOO serious) back of the pack why not Many of these folks are just there for the experience and their goal is to finish. They don't care if you beat them because they are not competing against you (generalization). So saying something encouraging despite being potentially condescending is often appreciated. Me No... I have been told to "F" off... when I tried to encourage someone late in a race who looked like they needed it.
        I like it when people say a little something-usually something that'll make me chuckle or just about the race! I'm there to enjoy the people! Big grin Kathy
        protoplasm72

Depends mostly on the size of the race and the situation. Large races where you are passing and getting passed often, I don't say anything most of the time. Smaller races where you spend most of the race running close to the same people, I'll often say something. I was in a 10k running with the same 3 people for most of the race. At about mile 4 or 5 the older guy started pulling away and I decided to go catch him. As I passed the other 2 guys that were around my age I said come on we can't let the old guy beat us. I forget what they said back but they were spent and didn't follow. When I caught up to the old guy I said something like don't let me pass I've been following you the whole race. We exchanged a few more friendly comments then I turned it on and beat him to the finish. We ended up talking after the race for a while too.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

If there's something funny to say, sure.
            Pammie

Depends, not with everyone - but yes if its someone from my club will say something ask if they are ok esp if i know they could be running quicker same again if its a running friend or someone from an internet forum if i knew who they were

I don't mind when somebody says something encouraging to me, and I'll usually encourage somebody as I pass them by, but there are definitely some people that would rather be left alone and I won't say nice pace or something like that to somebody that looks like they are about to die.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

As I was passing a guy he yelled and pointed "Watch out for the post" I'm thinkinking, what post? Glad he was hallucinating and not me. That would have hurt!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Why is it sideways?

Encouraging remarks by a passing runner are always patronizing, regardless of the intentions of the runner who is passing. Their practical consequences are either to break the spirit of the runner that is being passed or to piss them off in such a way that they decide they have to beat you. If you decide to employ this tactic in your next race, it is important to reflect upon the character of the person you are passing in order to achieve the desired effect. MTA: I know that the positive experiences of some of the posters who have given or received such remarks seem to belie the categorical statement I made in my first sentence. But it is worthwhile to reflect on how and why the runners they passed were friendly to them after the race. Were they sizing these unsuspecting souls up for the next race? Looking for psychological weaknesses? Attempting to regain some dignity by pretending not to be offended by the passing runner's remarks? Were they uniquely gracious souls who do not let one patronizing remark tarnish their view of the whole person? Can we be so sure that the OP herself was encouraged by the remarks of the runners who passed her--or did the resentment foisted upon her those remarks lead her to post this thread in the hope that the controversy, disagreement, and vitriol provoked therein will provide the comforting thought that other lost souls share in the secret and burning shame those very remarks provoked?
                    JakeKnight

I usually say: "You suck, Tanya." Which is really weird if there their name isn't Tanya. MTA: some of that grammar stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

JakeKnight

Encouraging remarks by a passing runner are always patronizing, regardless of the intentions of the runner who is passing.
                        Actually, its never patronizing when I do it. It's only patronizing when someone does it to me. Weird, huh? Okay, there is one time its not patronizing: when its a far superior runner. Of course, they're not passing me; they usually finished the race an hour before and are hanging by the side of the road. But suppose you (to use a random example) were pacing somebody, and you passed me. And commented on how lithe and handsome I was. In that case, I would not feel patronized. The rest of the time, yeah. It just makes me want to throw baseball bats at peoples knees.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Dave

On my last 10 mile race, I had a gem of an experience with this. I started just a bit ahead of where I should've been in a very large race (over 20K). Pushed about as hard a pace as I was capable of and started to fade going in the final mile. At this point, a guy I know from work who I never knew was a runner goes by me. He says, "come on, Dave. Stay with me, we'll finish under 70 minutes!!". Only by this time there was no way I could finish under 70 minutes, the math didn't even come close. So in one fell swoop he made sure I knew that: a. He was a faster runner than me. b. He started a couple of minutes behind me and still whipped my ass. If I had a baseball bat, he wouldn't be walking yet.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

heh...it doesnt usually bother me. But one time I got thanked by a 60 yr old man for holding a nice pace for him for my 10K (major PR and breakthrough) race....as he peeled off to start loop 2 of his 30K race. Ouch. I guess if someone looks like they are really struggling near the end I will say something like "you got it" Usually near the end I am too blown to talk or hear.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jeff summed up my thoughts on the matter in a much more eloquent way than I could have. Unless the person making the remark is way better than I am, all it's going to do is give me that much more incentive to beat him. Like, run him into the ground then out-kick him in front of his wife/kids/parents/friends/milkman. Now, how about if someone kicks it up a notch and gives you a pat on the back as they pass?
                                I chat with almost everyone I pass and vice-versa... sometimes I'll even slow down and talk to them for 5-10 minutes... but ultrarunners are super friendly like that.