Dismal Swamp Stomp Half-Marathon Race Poem (Report) (Read 601 times)

~Gordo~

It was April nineteenth, and the weather was fine, Fifty-six degrees as we approached the starting line. The second annual Chesapeake Dismal Swamp Stomp half, Some stretched, some warmed up others stood around and laughed. A good sized crowd, just under 1200 athletes, Ready to put 13.1 miles under their feet. The course is a very flat, straight out and back, And only 6 elite racers to lead this “dismal” pack. The horn sounded right at eight o’clock and off we went, I ran the first mile way to fast, had to slow down – couldn’t be spent. Mile 2, the Dismal Canal on my right, my pace back to norm, Being passed by many, I would pass later – wow look at her form. Mile 3, my pace for a PR is still on track, Get some water, get back in the pack. I hook up with some dude, running my pace, Mile 4, I feel like this is going to be my race. Mile 5, wholly molly there are the elite six going by, I swear if they had wings they would fly. Almost to the turn around and a shot of vanilla goo, The dude I was running with had to stop and poo. Still feeling good at mile 7, I smile for the camera guy, I pass someone walking, she’s asking “why or why”? I see the sign for mile 8, and another water break, I thank the volunteers as a water and Gatorade I take. I breeze through mile 9, I’ve hit a wall here before, This time is different, my legs feel good, not quite sore. I spoke too soon, mile 10 comes and I must slow a bit, Shorten the stride and slow the gait. I shake my head and ask myself why, why now, But I push through, it’s mind over body and how. Mile 11 – only two more to go, I refuse to check my time, Just keep running, right foot, left foot to the finish line. Mile 12 – can’t stop now, I turn my hat around – a habit I have, Pick up the pace, have to ignore the pain the right calve. Half a mile left, dig deep, don’t stop you have come this far, The finish line, I feel great – 1:48:07 – a new PR! This was my first time running the Dismal Swamp Stomp in Chesapeake Virginia. It was a great “small” half-marathon compared to the Shamrock Half and the Rock n’ Roll. It takes you down what used to be Highway 17 to North Caroline. They built a new Highway 17 and closed off the old one and made it into a running/bike/hiking trail right along the Dismal Swamp Canal. Although the crowd support was sparse, those they were out there cheered their hearts out. They gave a great technical T-shirt, not covered in logos and sponsors, just a small logo on the left front. All in all a great race that I will definitely do against next year. I’m just 3 minutes off my goal of a 1:45 half-marathon. If you live in the Hampton Roads area, I strongly recommend this race. ~Gordo
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~

A Saucy Wench

Nice race& report! Congrats on the PR Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You just wrote that? Very creative. Unique. Nicely done. Cool

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And the bar for fun race reports has been raised... Wink Very nice, Gordo--great PR, too! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kimmie

I love it! Creative and fun.... nice job on a new PR. It makes me want to run this one next year.
              Congrats on the PR. I loved reading the report.
                I suppose I really shouldn't be disappointed, but I was expecting to hear you had to hold your rifle over your head as you waded through waist-deep muck. Guess I'm reading too much into the race name? Nicely done Gordo, an effort to be proud of (even if you didn't actually have to slog through a swamp). Wink

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zzz

great read!!! very talented!! hope to run that with you next year. congrats on the new PR!!!