New Bedford Half Marathon - My Race Report (Read 787 times)

On Sunday (March 15th) I ran my first half marathon. To qualify this statement, I have run Half Marathons and even a Marathon, but all over 20 years ago (during my first life as a runner - so they really don't count any more). The New Bedford Half Marathon this year just happened to come on March 15th which is the one year anniversary of my rebirth as a runner, and so I decided what better way to celebrate my running rebirth anniversary than a race. I got all my running stuff together on Sat night so all I had to do is get up get dressed, have some coffee and drive to the race (1hr 30 min drive from my house). I got to the school in New Bedford where the numbers were being passed out, got parked and started heading into the building and Baddawg was wandering around in the parking lot, looking for the registration location also. Baddawg and I exchanged pleasantries, went in the building and picked up our race packets. By now it was 9:45 and I was pretty much ready to run, but still had 1 1/4 hrs to wait, so I poked around and visited with runners. There were a number of runners from my running club, so there were plenty of people for me to visit with. It was overcast and a little chilly so I couldn't decide what to wear....after dressing and redressing a couple of times, I decided to go with shorts (tights would be too hot) and long sleeved t-shirt with my running club singlet as a outer garment (show off the club colors). While walking around waiting for the race to start, I was a little chilly so I ran a few warm up jogs from time to time just to keep from getting cold. At about 10:40, it was almost time for the race to start so I started jogging around because I wanted to work up a little sweat and be a little warmed up before the race started. Since I hadn't run this far yet and my weekend long runs are usually 10 to 12 miles, I didn't want to run too much because I felt like I had more then enough miles to run after the race started and I figured the first mile would make a nice warm-up. FINALLY it was 11:00 and I was about 3/4 back in the pack of just over 2,000 runners waiting for the gun. GET SET --- BANG --- the race started and I just stood there cause there were so many people ahead of me that there was no where to go for about 30 seconds. We did a mass shuffle forward and began jogging and then there was enough room so we could start running..... I got to the actual starting point of the race 45 seconds after the race began so my time and the official time were off by about 45 seconds. I felt good and had a goal to run 1:59:59, or in other words, I wanted to break 2 hrs. I knew my splits had to be 9:10 or better, so I wanted to be a little ahead of 9:10 for each mile (I was afraid this pace was going to be a little quicker then my mileage and ability would allow at this point in my training - but it sounded good to say to people and I did feel I had at least an outside shot at breaking 2 hrs).. I hit my first mile in 8:50 and was feeling just fine. Got to the second mile and was moving on and running pretty well, but really overheating. The sun had come out and I was way overdressed. Just after the second mile I pulled over to a quick walk and pulled off my Singlet, then took off my long sleeved T-shirt -- then put my singlet back on and tied my t-shirt around my waste and Whoooo did that feel better...... I'm plugging along and got to the first hill during mile 3 and I could definitely feel the drag from this hill but it really wasn't very hard....and on down the road I ran. I hit mile #5 at precisely 45:50 second. THIS WAS BAD - because 45:50 was dead on my splits, and I was feeling just a little spent at mile 5. I had this sudden realization that I might not break 2 Hrs because I still had 8 miles to go and didn't think I could maintain a 9:10 pace for 8 more miles, and I also knew there is a nasty hill during the 12th mile. So I kind of felt my goal of 1:59:59 was slipping away. The next few miles went pretty well and I was still hanging onto my 9:10 pace thru mile 8 (barely). Somewhere during mile 9 a guy caught up to me and we ran together for about 2 miles. This guy was totally blowing mind because he was 66 years old and had a full cast on his right arm and plugging along stride for stride with me. He had broken his arm a few weeks ago in a biking accident, training for a triathlon and hit some black ice. He kept telling me how well I was doing and to keep it up. I kept thinking "you're 10 years older then me, and running in a cast, you can talk while I'm sucking air, and your telling me what a good job I'm doing --- sheehhhhh---what planet did you come from". He was a really nice guy and quickly became my new inspiration. During mile 11, I really started feeling more tired and my pace was starting to suffer. Also, I could feel a blister on my right foot (I never get blisters so what the heck is going on here). Trying to push thru the 11th mile and see Baddawg backtracking as he had already finished the race, but you know for some people 13.1 is just not enough...he ended up running something like 13 more for the day (getting ready for Boston) - GEEZ some people. Actually I was glad to see a friendly face right about then... I rounded the corner and there was the dreaded 12th mile hill. More then a few people told me about this hill and that it was pretty tough, and now, here I am -- ready to attempt it. I don't know where I am in terms of my splits, because at this point in the race my brain lost its ability to compute such things. I continue trudging on and hoping for the best. The 12 mile hill was definitively winning the battle with me, and I'm sure that I lost at least 1 and probably 2 minutes to the hill. This hill really isn't that hard and I run harder ones in training, but I was way too tired and there just wasn't any more fuel in the tank. At this point I just wanted to hold on, complete the race and take whatever time I got. Simply put - the 12 mile hill kicked my butt. After I topped the hill, it was finally flat again and/or downhill to the finish, and there were a lot of people cheering (Great crowd support throughout the entire race). I think I picked up the pace just a little, and the blister on my right foot was numb so I couldn't feel it by then. Down around the corner and back up the main street to the finish line. I decided to give it everything I had for the last 1/4 of a mile and finish really strong (if I could). As I blasted across the finish line, there were hundreds of people clapping and cheering on the runners and music was blaring out of the loud speakers........and my first Half Marathon was over - I have to admit, I was glad to be done. My time was 2:03:48. I got my finishers medal and bottle of water and walked over to a little park sat down and took off my shoes --- I can't believe that I had blisters.....aired out my dogs and let the endorphins flow thru my body. The sun was shining down and I just really felt good. Despite I missed my goal time by 3 min and 48 seconds, I think I'm doing pretty well for one year back on the road. Up front, my goal of breaking 2 hrs seemed just a little more then I could do at this stage of my training. I think I got about the best time I could have gotten, and I didn't leave anything back. I don't think I could have run another 1/4 of a mile because I was totally spent. I learned a lot in this Half Marathon: -First: My endurance is not what it needs to be, so if I want to be a good runner I need to work more on endurance. -Second: I learned that I can definitely break 2 hrs in a Half Marathon, didn't do it this time, but I'm close enough -- so next time after more training, Ill be ready to do it again. -Third: I thought I might be ready to consider a Marathon, but now I'm not so sure. It seems to me that I ought to break 2 hrs in a HALF before thinking about a full. -Fourth: I'm 5'6 and weigh 147lbs and I really need to drop 10/12 more lbs for the sake of my running Great race - great day and I'm glad I did it.......I have a lot of work to do as a runner but that's what it's all about.

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

Nice job on the race, John and that report was a good read. Don't second guess the idea of a fall marathon just yet...you've got a lot of time and the good weather is coming. The mileage and consistency is only just starting to pay off. Keep it rolling and you'll see.

Runners run

Good report John, almost exactly like my first half a year ago. My time was a bit slower at 2:05 +. I was on pace to break 2:00 at mile 10 but lost 5 + min in the next 3 miles. I think the answer for me is longer long runs, as something similar happened on my most recent half as well.

Lazy idiot

Nice race, nice report. Keep the miles rolling along and you'll see even more payoff. I can't wait to see how you do.

Tick tock

Prince of Fatness

Great job, John. I enjoyed reading your report. Keep up the good work.

Not at it at all. 

BeeRunB

Nice half, John. New Bedford isn't an easy course. Funny, that's the same race that kicked my butt 5 years ago and taught me I needed more aerobic endurance, as well. If you work on your aerobic system, you'll break that 2 hours easily next year. Keep going! --Jimmy
              pokey52

Glad to hear you had a good experience down in N.B. It can be a real killer in bad weather. You guy's got an almost perfect day. I saw the guy with the cast. Not something you see every race. We actually saw him on that slight downhill between mile eight and nine. We were with a group of bell ringers there. Just curious but was Bad Dawg the guy flying by in the Irish Tricolor shorts?
                  YES --- that was Baddawg - long hair and Greater Lowell Singlet and tri colored running shorts.... Also, if you saw the guy with the the cast at 8 and 9 -- I 'might' have been with him.....but we may not have met up until mile 9 .... kind of hard to remember for sure.....it was right around there somewhere when we met up and ran together for a couple of miles...

Just curious but was Bad Dawg the guy flying by in the Irish Tricolor shorts?
                    Gulty as charged. It's an awesome responsibility running with a flag draped across your arse, you're not allowed to fart during the race. Clowning around Thanks for coming out, that was some awesome cowbell! And I have to give props to the cops too, I high-fived the 50% of them I could get to and they were the most friendly and supportive bunch ever. That was a damned fine return to distance racing John, and I'm glad it was. I lucked out with my recommendation, if we got the typical Nor'easter I would have played my more customary role as the village idiot. The hill at twelve is much smaller than the ones I train on regularly, and it killed me too. It's just the location on the course, not many people have much fuel in the tank at that point. I decided to take it personally when a lovely young lass passed me on the hill, and made it my goal to return the favor before the line. I beat her by one second, and thanked her and the guy behind in the chute. Another guy thanked me for helping him finish strong, so it turns out I was a target for somebody else. Gotta love racing.
                    Great race - great day and I'm glad I did it.......I have a lot of work to do as a runner but that's what it's all about.
                    Great summary for a great report. Even Olympians have to-do lists, you know what you are doing works so keep at it and I'll see you around.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Run the race God set B4U

Awesome report John and awesome race. You should be proud, that's amazing to me Smile
                      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                      jeffdonahue

-Fourth: I'm 5'6 and weigh 147lbs and I really need to drop 10/12 more lbs for the sake of my running
                        Wow, make me feel like a cow at 165 pounds why dont you? Nice race. I was a little surprised there was no mention of the wind when you hit the water. Was it not windy last weekend, because when I did NB last year there was a strong headwind from mile 8/9 through mile 11/12ish. Way to muscle through the pain though.
                          Wow, make me feel like a cow at 165 pounds why dont you? Nice race. I was a little surprised there was no mention of the wind when you hit the water. Was it not windy last weekend, because when I did NB last year there was a strong headwind from mile 8/9 through mile 11/12ish. Way to muscle through the pain though.
                          Many people warned me about the wind, but there was almost no wind on Sunday and what little wind there was really felt good because it was in the 50's and sunny........it was a nearly perfect running day....

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Strong work on your comeback, and great race report! I think the guy with the broken arm is in my running club - was he wearing a Somerville Road Runners singlet (or shirt)?
                            evtish

Franc Karpo

Hey John, Great race report! This was my best New bedford. I ran a course 'PR' by 90 seconds. The good weather had a lot to do with it. The wind wasn't as bad as previous years. Where did you get your Phidippides logo? Very cool! Keep training... you'll get your sub 2:00 half. Franc