Garmin Forerunner 405 (Read 3619 times)

Man, that thing looks sweet. Sad Just bought my 305 too. Guess that's why it was such a great deal.
      You are so right. Apple taught me this lesson buy a generation or 2 later!!
        I'll hopefully snatch up a cheap or used 305 @ tax time. I'm typically a season or two behind the fashions anyway. Except for kilts. They're always cool. That 305 is still smaller/better looking than some early digital watches. But, what's the deal with the foot pod? Doesn't the 305 itself provide speed?
          I'm still waiting for Apple to buy Garmin... iWatch.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm typically a season or two behind the fashions anyway. Except for kilts. They're always cool.
            Hells, yeah! DH (diddidit) lived in Scotland for a year and looks the part (he is mostly Dutch, though...I'm the one with Scottish ancestry). One of these days I will buy that boy a Utilikilt--they are cool. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

&*^%...Oh my wife is going to roll her eyes when I show this one!!! Looks like a good (March) bonus present...I have a cheap 305 if anyone is looking Smile
                Hells, yeah! DH (diddidit) lived in Scotland for a year and looks the part (he is mostly Dutch, though...I'm the one with Scottish ancestry). One of these days I will buy that boy a Utilikilt--they are cool. Big grin
                I have a Utilikilt. It's badass. And a few others - including a Mountain Hardware nylon sport/hiking kilt I sometimes run in. I did a story on neokilts a while back. Lemme see if I can find a link: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/staying_power_kilt-t15287/index.html?s=3a85b34d29a5511375893d0c75b2b8f8&t=15287 That oughtta be it.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that article is excellent! So which brand/model of kilt would you most recommend? DH is a crazy cyclist...but those chamois shorts are so dorky. I really think he should throw a kilt over them. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, that article is excellent! So which brand/model of kilt would you most recommend? DH is a crazy cyclist...but those chamois shorts are so dorky. I really think he should throw a kilt over them. Big grin
                    There are several makers. The camo Amerikilt was my first, but I think Utilikilt is the acknowledged leader/originator, if that matters. There are probably other makers now. As for a recommendation, my fave is the Utilikilt Survival. Was spendy -- most expensive garment I ever bought. But I wear it a lot. The side pockets can hold a sixer each, just in case, you know. And they come off for a streamlined look. I wore it to my 20th HS reunion and wear it virtually whenever I make a drive of, say, more than 2 hours (unless for work.) So comfy. Sometimes you'll see kilt guys at Irish festivals. Then you can try some on. For sporty, this can't be beat: http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/mountain-hardwear/mens-clothing-sale/mountain-hardwear-mountain-kilt-mens.html?RefId=29&RefType=Affiliate To return to the orginal thread, what does the footpod provide for the Garmin?
                      It is not all that obvious that while running the 405 will prove to be an improvement over the 305. From the pictures it appears that the screen is much smaller. If you like displaying four items on one screen that may not be possible or if possible not easily viewable with the 405. Even a three item display (my preference) may yield some figures that are too small to easily read on the run. I have no idea if any of these potential problems will be actual problems I am just pointing out that from the pictures available on the web it is not clear that they will not be.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

It is for inside running when you can't get a signal. Only keeps speed/distance/pace and heart rate I think. I just ordered mine for the 305 as I do some treadmill work and still want to use the Garmin.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is not all that obvious that while running the 405 will prove to be an improvement over the 305. From the pictures it appears that the screen is much smaller. If you like displaying four items on one screen that may not be possible or if possible not easily viewable with the 405. Even a three item display (my preference) may yield some figures that are too small to easily read on the run. I have no idea if any of these potential problems will be actual problems I am just pointing out that from the pictures available on the web it is not clear that they will not be.
                          I've been wondering about those same issues, myself. I think the big square screen on the 205/305 may be better when one likes 4 fields, as I do (time of day, running time, pace, distance). k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For sporty, this can't be beat: http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/mountain-hardwear/mens-clothing-sale/mountain-hardwear-mountain-kilt-mens.html?RefId=29&RefType=Affiliate To return to the orginal thread, what does the footpod provide for the Garmin?
                            Dang, too bad that's only left in a size Small...did is probably a L or maybe even XL. I believe the footpod for the Garmin is useful for treadmill running. Not sure. I think someone mentioned something to that effect recently, though. Probably similar to the cadence sensor for cycling that one can use with the Garmin. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Damn that thing looks sweet. Looks like a watch, not a box on my lithe and runnerly wrist.

Runners run

Along for the Ride

Ditto - add my less than perfect vision into the mix ... I am sticking with the 305.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.