Can I do a half ? (Read 849 times)

I'm considering doing a half 5/31 and have not trained at all ( so far ). My longest run in 3 years was this past Saturday, and it was 8 miles. I usually run about 22 miles a week. You can look at my log. I wonder if I have enough time to add more miles, or will I just make a fool out of myself? I mean, lets say I can run 10 miles, will I be able to do 13 on race day? Or will I really need to be comfortable with doing 13 miles first? This same race ( Zooma Annapolis ) also has a 10k which I've done many of. Maybe I should just stick with that.

- Anya

JimR

I'm considering doing a half 5/31 and have not trained at all ( so far ). My longest run in 3 years was this past Saturday, and it was 8 miles. I usually run about 22 miles a week. You can look at my log. I wonder if I have enough time to add more miles, or will I just make a fool out of myself? I mean, lets say I can run 10 miles, will I be able to do 13 on race day? Or will I really need to be comfortable with doing 13 miles first? This same race ( Zooma Annapolis ) also has a 10k which I've done many of. Maybe I should just stick with that.
      two months to go and you're up to 8 miles? do the half.
        You definitely can do it, question is how fast you want to do it? My longest run before my frist half Marathon was 11 miles, in about 1:55, and completed the race in about 2:05:30. If you can do a couple of 10 milers and a 12 miler over the next 8 weeks (long run every other week) and run about 30 -35 MPW for the next 2 months, I'd say you will be close to the 2 hour mark. I am basing this on your training paces which are close to mine, not sure how hard you run them.

Skooter 3.0

I did my first 4 halfs on a whim with only casual running behavior and no training...you can do it, just don't run too fast.

Goals?

I mean, lets say I can run 10 miles, will I be able to do 13 on race day?
            Yes. Do it.
            This same race ( Zooma Annapolis ) also has a 10k which I've done many of. Maybe I should just stick with that.
            No. It's time to put on your big girl running shorts. Wink

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Do the half...you will be ready! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree with everyone else. I think you can and should do the HALF (if you want to) - as someone stated, you have plenty of time to get in 10 or 12 miles every week or every other week and add a few more miles to you weekly total and that will be enough to complete the HALF. you dont have to run 13.1 miles before you do the race......I think 10 is adequate if you have a decent base...then just slow down a little and run the race.... You have time and your current training base is good enought that you can build on it between now and race time.... GO FOR IT.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Just Happy to Run

I had never ran more than 10k (6.2 miles) and 2 months before my first half I had to turn down my weekly mileage due to some knee pain. The knee pain went away, I got some more miles in the week, never a long run though, and I went ahead with the half. I had the time of my life!!! I had no major issues running the race and posted a better time than I was dreaming! I say GO FOR IT! (You can see my progress on my log leading up to the half. The half was on march 15th.)
                  Jason

2010 Goals
                  • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
                    Ok, you talked me into it. I'm scared to death, but this may be what I need to get back on track. I've been on a major binge of late. I would totally regret it if I didn't do it. Afterall, the start line is right across from my house. I won't even need a ride!!!! And the course is all around Annapolis, where I live ( BTW I flippn love it here) I'm gonna go for it. Thanks guys. Too bad the entry fee is $95. Why on earth would it be that much??????? - So, that's coming out of my partying budget for sure. http://races.zoomarun.com/annapolis/

- Anya

Ok, you talked me into it. I'm scared to death, but this may be what I need to get back on track. I've been on a major binge of late. Thanks guys. Too bad the entry fee is $95. Why on earth would it be that much??????? - So, that's coming out of my partying budget for sure. http://races.zoomarun.com/annapolis/
                      On the one hand, I don't think you have anything to really worry about. Your base will serve you very well. On the other hand, a circled date on a calendar and a little fear can be a good thing. JakeKnight once posted something like "when I stop being nervous before the start of a marathon, it's time to start running ultras..." $85/$95/$105 by date? Are they trying to out-fee Elite Racing? Wow. Maybe you should run the course twice to get your money's worth.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

This is a little expensive, but then again, its right there so you can go easily and such........Was looking at the race information and it looks like a nice race....I suspect there will be a lot of entries and of course in your first Half, the more the better..... IF you get a weekly or every other weekly 10/12 miler in and with 60 days to go, that gets you a number of long runs -- you should be just fine.............You will definately get motivated for your training because if your signed up and training your ok but if your signed up and not training your really start feeling really hollow..... ALSO - take it easy because you dont want to do something stupid like run 45 MPW for the next 3 weeks and end up hurt......also dont suddenly start trying to run too fast or any of that other stuff.. Just nice easy normal running with a long weekend run added...........YOU WILL BE FINE And dont forget your race report -- Love to read the race reports.... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

On the one hand, I don't think you have anything to really worry about. Your base will serve you very well. On the other hand, a circled date on a calendar and a little fear can be a good thing. JakeKnight once posted something like "when I stop being nervous before the start of a marathon, it's time to start running ultras..." $85/$95/$105 by date? Are they trying to out-fee Elite Racing? Wow. Maybe you should run the course twice to get your money's worth.
                          Ha! I should run it twice. I like Jake's quote too. I'm now trying to talk my co-worker Hillary into running th 10k. She's never done beyond a 5k. But, we live next door to each other. Doing the 10k for her, is like me doing the half. Now, if we could find some sponsers!

- Anya

This is a little expensive, but then again, its right there so you can go easily and such........Was looking at the race information and it looks like a nice race....I suspect there will be a lot of entries and of course in your first Half, the more the better..... IF you get a weekly or every other weekly 10/12 miler in and with 60 days to go, that gets you a number of long runs -- you should be just fine.............You will definately get motivated for your training because if your signed up and training your ok but if your signed up and not training your really start feeling really hollow..... ALSO - take it easy because you dont want to do something stupid like run 45 MPW for the next 3 weeks and end up hurt......also dont suddenly start trying to run too fast or any of that other stuff.. Just nice easy normal running with a long weekend run added...........YOU WILL BE FINE And dont forget your race report -- Love to read the race reports.... Big grin
                            Thanks so much for the good advice. And yes, I'm worried about getting an injury. That's how I got my IT band injury 3 years ago, training for the Baltimore half. That's why I just do baby miles. So, I'm not going to worry about the time. Just want to finish. ( and of course , not stop at all )

- Anya

Skooter 3.0

I say run it as a bandit...is it for charity? If not, $95 is an awful lot for a half...who's to stop you from just showing up across the street from your own house? I've run as a bandit many times...it's fun!

Goals?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pay $10 and run 5K warmup before Cherry Pit, to get a half-mara distance Smile Or run 5K afterward to make it contiguous, but then you lack cheering at the end. (Ya, I know it's not the same, just being tongue-in-cheek.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.