Long run nutrition/energy food? (Read 1664 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Wow ya'll are making me hungry! Smile Lifesabeach-- Nice din din! I totally love grease before a long run. I dunno why but it works! And yeah I get you, it depends what I ate the night before but like I had a BLT and a big ole stack of seasoned curly fries (dipped in ranch) before my last speedwork session and had nothing for breakfast. So it depends on how much I ate and how close to bedtime I eat. I just got passed by a woman in the 1500 mile club. Damnit, it was fun while it lasted. Evil grin
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pop Tarts DO NOT hold up on a run, but you can store them well in your stomach. Eat them about 30-45 minutes before the run and they will support you for about an hour or so. Two pop tarts, 400 kcal!
        Wow ya'll are making me hungry! Smile Lifesabeach-- Nice din din! I totally love grease before a long run. I dunno why but it works! And yeah I get you, it depends what I ate the night before but like I had a BLT and a big ole stack of seasoned curly fries (dipped in ranch) before my last speedwork session and had nothing for breakfast. So it depends on how much I ate and how close to bedtime I eat. I just got passed by a woman in the 1500 mile club. Damnit, it was fun while it lasted. Evil grin
        oh, that sounds yummy! you got passed? dang woman, lookitchoo go! turn around and give a girl a holler! Cool

Jennifer mm#1231

Pop Tarts DO NOT hold up on a run, but you can store them well in your stomach. Eat them about 30-45 minutes before the run and they will support you for about an hour or so. Two pop tarts, 400 kcal!
          I was SO going to pick up pop tarts today but I forgot once I stepped inside the store. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was SO going to pick up pop tarts today but I forgot once I stepped inside the store. Tongue
            I have extras Wink
              I have extras Wink
              got milk? hahahaha! I've always wanted to say that! Clowning around

Jennifer mm#1231

muse_runner

keep running.

Yup, she'll pass me again soon. I'll holler at her. I already think she's amazingly fit. Look at her body! (actually Jen aka Life'sabeach) your body is rockin too. Smile You go girl! Smile Food... I could eat into an oblivion when I do trails. I don't know what the deal is with that. Somedays there's just not enough food in the kitchen or on the planet for me. Roll eyes Kristen I am glad you found a non-GU snack. We should keep this thread alive to invite/inspire creative non-GU running snacks. I'm all for that! Smile I'll do a 13-14 miler this upcoming weekend so I'll purposely try to think of something. I'd love to have mini bagels with peanut butter or cheese... hmmmmmmnnnn
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kristen I am glad you found a non-GU snack. We should keep this thread alive to invite/inspire creative non-GU running snacks. I'm all for that! Smile I'll do a 13-14 miler this upcoming weekend so I'll purposely try to think of something. I'd love to have mini bagels with peanut butter or cheese... hmmmmmmnnnn
                  I'm really thinking some salty snacks might be good, in addition to GU and the Rice Krispy treats. Someone mentioned Combos upthread...that would be good. Or even simple PB crackers, perhaps. I know backroadsrunner can't do GU because of texture issues. I can't do those Cliff Bloks for the same reason...ewww! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Someone mentioned Combos upthread..
                    Ooh, Combos with the peanut butter center. Yum Yes

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You'll ruin your knees!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lynn, don't those get squished? I do loves me some doughnuts.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

muse_runner

keep running.

jlynn-- any oil burping from the donettes? Confused
                            any oil burping
                            ewww oil burps! (muse, I feel like I'm following you around the boards). Although I almost always just have GU, I once ate a handful of those little chewy cookies ... DEEELICIOUS!
                            2009: BQ?
                            muse_runner

keep running.

Sorry for the gross question but doughnuts give me the "repeat" feeling... KWIM? I do love them though so I'm not like super opposed to that feeling. I'm sure if I were running long my body would just absorb all of the nutrients like a sponge. Smile Trish perhaps I am following YOU around? Wink You are one speed demon girlie!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the girls' group we were just discussing nausea during a race (which I experienced for the first time yesterday--I'm really amazed that I didn't hurl...the last couple hundred yards I was actually picturing myself with vomit all down my front ). Now I'm wondering if I might want to try ginger snap cookies during my last long run before my big race? But I wonder if the dry, hard texture might be difficult to chew and swallow if I'm breathing hard. Does anyone know of soft ginger snaps? Or maybe something like a soft molasses cookie would do the trick (though I think those generally have less ginger in them). I did take ginger tablets during the first half of my pregnancy with my son, too, and never had much in the way of morning sickness. Perhaps taking a couple of those right before the race would be a good idea. k

~ Sarah Kay