Long run nutrition/energy food? (Read 1664 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Kristen I think Trader Joe's has ginger gummy bears. Kind of like cliff blox, anti-nausea, and carbies all in one! Smile Or try this lovely selection: http://sweetenergy.com/php/cat1200.php
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, what a great website! I will definitely want to check that out...though it's probably too late to order anything and have time to try it, as I plan my last long run this week or early next. Gah, I wish we had a TJ's, too. I started an online petition a while back and then after I got over 100 signatures I e-mailed TJ's with the link and asked them to please consider opening one here (there are several in the Detroit area, but none on this side of the state). I never got a response, which I found sorta rude of them. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

muse_runner

keep running.

Kristen I have to drive 40 min to go to a Trader Joes. I do have a natural foods store though. I just kind of buy things here and there. Then every few weeks we take a road trip to TJ's and stock up! I don't live in the boonies, just in a totally lame and uncool place with absolutely NOTHING to do. There is NO character where I live. Only cookie-cutter homes and crapy fast food. But amazingly good running routes!
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Add Trader Joes to the list of things I miss about living in CA! Sad

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, our nearest TJ's is like 3-4 hours away--40 minutes I could do... Wink I will have to see what I can find at our closer health food stores. We do have 3 decent (but small) ones within a 20 minute drive. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

We should keep this thread alive to invite/inspire creative non-GU running snacks. I'm all for that! Smile I'd love to have mini bagels with peanut butter or cheese... hmmmmmmnnnn
              I'm not going very far yet, but I'm getting really hungry on my runs lately! I just read several threads on here about long run nutrition, but usually about GU, Cliff bars, etc. Does anyone have anything they bring on their runs that seems to curb the hunger that's easily eaten and packs fairly well? I haven't tried anything yet, so thought maybe some jellybeans to start? Any other "normal" foods that you carry on your runs?
                I haven't tried anything yet, so thought maybe some jellybeans to start? Any other "normal" foods that you carry on your runs?
                I never tried this on a run, but used it for hiking quite a bit....GORP...raisins, peanuts and m&ms. I would hesitate to eat just sugar on a run....its like flash in a pan type energy. maybe mini snicker bars so you get the jazz and then some longer term energy to stay with you. If you eat some of the stuff before you go out...then you should have the energy to make it through the run? I don't know...just musing out loud. I have seen heavy labor guys working a long time without GU or other food eating....
                  I never tried this on a run, but used it for hiking quite a bit....GORP...raisins, peanuts and m&ms. I would hesitate to eat just sugar on a run....its like flash in a pan type energy. maybe mini snicker bars so you get the jazz and then some longer term energy to stay with you.
                  Ok. I'd just considered jellybeans because I'd read about them in several places & they seem like they'd be convenient. Yeah, I don't want a sugar high then a sugar low I suppose?
                  If you eat some of the stuff before you go out...then you should have the energy to make it through the run? I don't know...just musing out loud. I have seen heavy labor guys working a long time without GU or other food eating....
                  Kelly, the funny thing is I eat before I go out (big bowl of oatmeal, raisins, toast usually) and I'm full. Maybe I need something more substantial...maybe more protein? fiber? I don't know how I can get that hungry either! Smile
                    Yeah, I don't want a sugar high then a sugar low I suppose?
                    you shouldn't get a sugar low when you are running as the exercise suppresses the majority of the insulin response. i find pure energy products (gels, jelly beans, sports drink) to be perfectly adequate to fuel a long run (although i wouldn't use them until i was running probably over 15miles). but i do find i get a very hungry stomach feeling after about 2 hours. i've never found a way to stop that as i have to slow down significantly to eat anything more substantial. however the hungry feeling is just that - its not accompanied by lack of energy - so i just try and ignore it.
                      you shouldn't get a sugar low when you are running as the exercise suppresses the majority of the insulin response. i find pure energy products (gels, jelly beans, sports drink) to be perfectly adequate to fuel a long run (although i wouldn't use them until i was running probably over 15miles). but i do find i get a very hungry stomach feeling after about 2 hours. i've never found a way to stop that as i have to slow down significantly to eat anything more substantial. however the hungry feeling is just that - its not accompanied by lack of energy - so i just try and ignore it.
                      This hunger thing just recently started happening, but it gets pretty intense for me. I went out again today, only 7 miles, and toward the very end it was happening again. Roll eyes I did bring a drink, so I think that helped. Maybe my tummy will eventually H(arden)TFU!
                        Ok. I'd just considered jellybeans because I'd read about them in several places & they seem like they'd be convenient. Yeah, I don't want a sugar high then a sugar low I suppose? Kelly, the funny thing is I eat before I go out (big bowl of oatmeal, raisins, toast usually) and I'm full. Maybe I need something more substantial...maybe more protein? fiber? I don't know how I can get that hungry either! Smile
                        have you tried slipping some almonds or other nuts in to give your oatmeal a protein boost. This doesn't seem like there is much there to fuel a long run. I make my own muselli and eat it with yogurt on it. That way I get plenty of protein...of course, I haven't tried to run on it...I will try it tomorrow for my 5k.
                          have you tried slipping some almonds or other nuts in to give your oatmeal a protein boost. This doesn't seem like there is much there to fuel a long run. I make my own muselli and eat it with yogurt on it. That way I get plenty of protein...of course, I haven't tried to run on it...I will try it tomorrow for my 5k.
                          I haven't tried the nuts yet, though I was thinking I'd slather some peanutbutter on my toast from now on! Good luck on your 5k, btw!!
                            I haven't tried the nuts yet, though I was thinking I'd slather some peanutbutter on my toast from now on! Good luck on your 5k, btw!!
                            Thanks... Almonds (if I remember correctly) contain a good amount of Essential Fatty Acids...very good for overall health as opposed to sugar containing p-nut butter. Better quality calories (or so I believe) are contained in the nuts. Again, less processing...closer to source usually means better quality.
                              obviously that depends on what type of peanut butter you buy. some have added sugar, some don't. some have just peanuts and oil in. nothing else. in fact some have just peanuts - although i've not yet come across any in NZ (we used to get just peanut ones in the UK).
                                obviously that depends on what type of peanut butter you buy. some have added sugar, some don't. some have just peanuts and oil in. nothing else. in fact some have just peanuts - although i've not yet come across any in NZ (we used to get just peanut ones in the UK).
                                At some health food, stores even some specialty grocery stores you buy a pound of nuts and grind it into peanut butter right on the spot. Can't get much purer than that!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius