Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8K (Read 1095 times)

Outside Lane

Registration is now open - the run is on March 30. http://www.shamrockshuffle.com It's a great way to start the running season in Chicago with 30,000 friends!

See how they run...

Outside Lane

Running in this one this coming Sunday - 30,000 runners in the Chicago Loop Running with my brother and nephew (I hope they don't wimp out) Forecast of 46 degrees F and showers The first real good run outside this Spring Priceless Smile

See how they run...

The Greatest of All Time

I thought registration was closed?
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Outside Lane

It is closed - I registered back in January....

See how they run...

The Greatest of All Time

If the weather is going to be anything like it is downtown right now, I am glad I didn't register for this one.

Outside Lane

So I should wear a parka? Undecided

See how they run...

The Greatest of All Time

So I should wear a parka? Undecided
                Are you in the city today? I would. I am looking down South Wacker towards the Sears Tower and it looks like Seattle outside right now, but much colder.

Outside Lane

I live way out in the suburbs - about 45 miles NW of the Loop. We had flurries all day and now have snow on the ground again. One badass long winter....

See how they run...

Outside Lane

It was a good run today - 8K through the streets of the Chicago Loop. My time was 48:26 - about 9:49 pace. It wasn't my best Shamrock Shuffle - but it wasn't my worst either. Weather was cool as predicated - about 40 F - you could see your breath. After a couple of miles, I was warmed up and didn't notice the cool weather any more. For those who have done this race or the Chicago Marathon in recent years (put on by the same organizers), there were a couple of interesting new things. I assume both of these were in response to last years marathon fiasco. First of all - a color-coded event warning system - just like the one from Homeland Security! This one is designed to alert you to the terror of bad weather for a run. I can' t remember what the color was for today - but it was too cool for it to be anything but good. Second was the amount of support at the water stops. Although there are only two water stops on this 5 mile course - they were about 3 times the size I remember in prior years (I have done this run 6 times now). There were tables and tables and tables of water and Gatorade. At the end of the race there were pallets and pallets and pallets of water. I considered all this to be a pilot of new support procedures for the marathon this fall. The run was fun - it always is. There are so many people. They did a wave start for the first time this year. They had corrals for the runners who had fast times in prior years/races - A, B, C, D corrals that started 15 mins before everyone else. I was with "everyone else" - the common folk. I saw too many people trip and fall throughout the race - still a sign they have too many people trying to run together. But it is so cool to be on the streets of a big beautiful city - a 30,000 people strong push of humanity saying "Winter sucks - we will not take it anymore - we are going to run until it gets warm!". I will be there again next year! Smile

See how they run...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looks like the guy who came in at 200 got a 14 minute late start.
                        But it is so cool to be on the streets of a big beautiful city - a 30,000 people strong push of humanity saying "Winter sucks - we will not take it anymore - we are going to run until it gets warm!".
                        I really can't imagine that many runners, even with the wave starts that must be unreal. The biggest field I've ever been a part of was 1300, and I was shuffling and weaving for at least the first mile. Guess that's where they got the name?

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

My running partner!

I ran the race yesterday too! It was very fun - the crowds were not so bad because all of the streets were blocked off so except in the beginning I always felt I had enough room. That was the farthest I have ever run so it was a great day despite the weather! Big grin
                          Kat
                          protoplasm72

I like the big crowds but once the crowd gets over 5000 you don't really notice much difference the larger it gets. I like the sound of thousands of feet running right at the beginning of the race before people spread out. Grant park is a great place for big races like this cause it can handle the pre/post race traffic. I've been in races with only a few thousand people in other places and the traffic is gridlocked trying to get to and from the race site. I was up in the B gate and had no trouble with the crowd. It's kind of cool to look behind you before the race starts and see thousands of people as far back as you can see. The weather was actually perfect for racing. Not to cold that you freeze before the race but cool enough that you are comfortable even towards the end of the race. I did get a little cold after the race when I was soaking in sweat and doing my stretches but I just wrapped up quickly and got to my car.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson