2015 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 689 times)

mikeymike

The most frustrating part is that it's all security theater. It's not making us any safer.

Runners run

No Talent Drips

Well that's a nice change from last year, when no bags were allowed, period.

Fanny packs were allowed last year. I made that shite look good.

Dei Gratia

bhearn

That's not a bag.

No Talent Drips

I'll check my bag venn diagram. But I'm sure you're right.

Dei Gratia

xhristopher

If you are really worried about getting wet feet before the race you could reuse plastic shopping bags by wearing them over your shoes. A little duct tape will hold it all in place. It's an awesome look. Just don't wear them between your shoes and socks. That look has already been taken.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The most frustrating part is that it's all security theater. It's not making us any safer.

I think that was most obvious when during last year's arrival at basecamp there was a loud explosion and nobody even batted an eye: turns out it was a bus tire popping.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

bhearn

If you are really worried about getting wet feet before the race you could reuse plastic shopping bags by wearing them over your shoes. 

No bags...

xhristopher

No bags...

I'll check my bag venn diagram. But I'm sure you're right.

northernman

Fight The Future

Made it through 18 weeks of training without any injuries. Of course, now in the last week, my left shin has started to hurt. A possible stress fracture there is what caused me to cancel on Boston last year. Fortunately, this time, it doesn't hurt when I run or hop on it, but it kind of hurts where it did before - spontaneously when I'm sitting around or sleeping the last two days. What do you think, should I stop running for a day or two? Just ice it and chalk it up to taper madness? Maybe run on a soft treadmill instead of outside until next Monday?

Made it through 18 weeks of training without any injuries. Of course, now in the last week, my left shin has started to hurt. A possible stress fracture there is what caused me to cancel on Boston last year. Fortunately, this time, it doesn't hurt when I run or hop on it, but it kind of hurts where it did before - spontaneously when I'm sitting around or sleeping the last two days. What do you think, should I stop running for a day or two? Just ice it and chalk it up to taper madness? Maybe run on a soft treadmill instead of outside until next Monday?

Take a couple days off for sure.  You are supposed to be tapering anyways.

You won't be getting much benefit for any additional running at this point anyways.

Better safe than sorry!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Julia1971

Why are you hopping on it?  Are you trying to aggravate it?  Smile

It could be taper madness.  Either way, a day off wouldn't hurt and might help.  I wouldn't switch to treadmill run, though.  No big changes the week before the marathon.

northernman

Fight The Future

Yeah, good idea. No more hopping.

thanks, I'll take today off and try to relax a bit. Very stressful at work - I think that's been the problem

bhearn

There are two things you need to do to neg split Boston:

1.) pick a goal that you can definitely run,

THEN

2.) do what Bob says.

I've never done #1, ergo #2 has never mattered. Maybe this will be the year!

This is so, so, so, much easier than putting in all the training. No excuse for blowing all that effort on race day due to poor execution.

bhearn

OK all, here are those pace bands I promised. Sorry for the delay. I used a 0:20 negative split for the sub-3s, 0:30 negative split for the rest. Slow start, fast finish.

Let me know if anyone wants something different or extra.

xhristopher

And, to get it on the same page, here's sub 3 band. Interesting how the first mile is faster than on your 2:57 band. Have you learned anything  over the years that would make you revise this one?