Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

xor

The tinder and kindling for hate comes from being really good.  The burning comes from places like message boards and other media-like things (where Bill Simmons comes up) where the fanbase goes on and on about wonderfulness and how everyone has to love the wonderfulness.  Like how this thread... which was kinda off the rails anyway so it's not super evil... suddenly turned into a patriot-love thread based on a demolishing of... the Dolphins.  It's the Dolphins.

But mostly I'm just having fun being a "hater".  It's football season.  The best time of year! 

As for Bill Simmons becoming your spokesperson, yes.  Sorry.  It's true.

I would say "Go Cowboys!" but I watched that game too.  Yikes.  Jeepers crap.

Hey the Dolphins are pretty good, man.  Why all the hating on the Dolphins?

Runners run

L Train

If Michigan is a Lions fan he's got some exciting stuff to watch on the treadmill for maybe half a drive. 

xor

Hey the Dolphins are pretty good, man.  Why all the hating on the Dolphins?

Because they call themselves a high mileage football team.

Real note: AFC east is back to being a stacked division, which is kind of fun to witness.  Of course, I live in the worst division of football.  So I can appreciate "good football" from afar. And still hate the damn Patriots.

Maybe I will buy a Patriot jersey and wear it during my marathon.

Speaking of: Hey, Cam Newton fans.  It was the Cardinals.  We don't know yet how (true/false) awesome the Arizona secondary is, but I wouldn't get all orgasmic about my new QB quite yet.

Maybe I will buy a Patriot jersey and wear it during my marathon.

If it rains, take plastic sandwich bags and put them on over your socks and under your shoes.  Money.

Runners run

Chris UK

He'll be one happy MF

I pooled my remaining braincells with Mikey's and srlopez and it only took me three pages to come up wth this stunning quote! Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I don't think anyone is attacking MF or even negative about this.  Just like many others, this thread has been entertaining for me as well.  I think most people really would hope MF would succeed.

However, everybody knows, hopefully MF himself, that if MF can spend some of the time he is currently strategizing about the way to go sub 6 and use it to just run as much as he can, he will get sub 6 in no time, given his talent (which is much better than me).

Sub 6 for MF should be really easy, if he just tries.

If I had a goal to run a 6 minute mile by next week I probably would not make it.

If I had a goal to run 6 miles in a month I would run a lot of miles and might get injured.

I set my goal at 3 months so that I could build up the milage to get to the sub 6 safely.

Would I like to be running more than the 10 mpw I ran in August? Yes but it didn't happen.

Thats okay as my goal is still attainable.

A couple weeks ago I ran 13 miles. Last week I ran 14 miles. This week I will probably try for 15 miles then a time trial in the next 4 or 5 days to see where I am at. I am thinking 6:15 is possible. 6 no way. I am still building up the confidence to get closer before I attempt a real sub 6.

From all the drama I understood you were a low mileage MF, MF. By that I guessed you ran 2-4 days a week. Having just peeked at your log I see you've been running 5-7 days a week for the last month but here's what I don't understand. You actually lace em up to go out for 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5 mile runs?  

Those are runs from my house to the bus stop or from my workplace to my car.

Even though they are garbage miles I count them because they give me confidence.

For me seeing every extra half mile helps even if it is all in my head.

with the 49 seconds it takes to log on and enter a run you could save time and just skip the entering and stretch out a 0.2 mile run to a 0.3 mile run. 

or even better, run a 6 minute 1,500 meters and to heck with the whole mile.  That's old school. 

L Train

with the 49 seconds it takes to log on and enter a run you could save time and just skip the entering and stretch out a 0.2 mile run to a 0.3 mile run. 

But then he would use more of his lifetime allotment of heartbeats.

or even better, run a 6 minute 1,500 meters and to heck with the whole mile.  That's old school. 

I have a form of OCD no doubt that deals with numbers, stats, etc,

This is why I love running as you get oodles of numbers tenths and hundreths of seconds.

I love looking at baseball stats, football stats, timing every run to the quarter mile.

Therefore I have gotten into this habit of making my weekly runs come out to the exact mile.

At the end of the week on Saturday if I am at 15.2 miles for the week I need to run 0.8 miles to make that an even 16.

Also I get to the point in a day where it seems like the right time to stop... it may be 2.3 miles it may be 0.8 miles but

somewhere in my brain I just know it is the correct time to stop running at that mileage point.

I cannot explain it. I am a clock watcher. So be it. Probably not good for a runner but that is what I do.

If I had a goal to run a 6 minute mile by next week I probably would not make it.

If I had a goal to run 6 miles in a month I would run a lot of miles and might get injured.

If you increase your miles gradually, initially by 20% or so per week (that will only be a few miles per week at 13 miles / week), and later on by about 10%, and if you don't run your miles too fast (doing lots of crazy intervals or so), then the risk of injury is not high at all.

A lot of people thought running a lot of miles cause injury.  In fact, running too many fast miles will cause injury, not just running more miles.

You had some base in the past.  I don't think you will get injured if you run 20 slow miles a week to start with.  Increasing by 1 mile a week is probably too small an increment for you.

I was in similar boat the beginning of this year.  Late last year, I moved and changed job.  For a few weeks, I dipped into the ultra low miles like you have right now.  Overall, from Sep to Dec of last year, I averaged probably 20-30 miles a week.  I was so out of shape and gained a lot of pounds.

Late Jan of this year, I ran a 5k race and my time was 21+ min.  I was training for Boston in Apr of this year.  If I used the same method like you are using right now, I don't think I could have finished my Marathon, let alone setting a PR with a pace the same as my Jan 5k pace, averaging 21+ min per each 5k.

Instead, I just ignored the time and my pace.  I just ran in Jan and Feb, as much as I could.  Towards late Feb, I threw in some key workouts, mostly strength training like tempo.  I did some intervals but I was so out of shape that my 5k pace then was not really a speed training.  By mid Mar, I knew I was on track to run a decent Marathon.  And the rest is history.

If you increase your miles gradually, initially by 20% or so per week (that will only be a few miles per week at 13 miles / week), and later on by about 10%, and if you don't run your miles too fast (doing lots of crazy intervals or so), then the risk of injury is not high at all.

A lot of people thought running a lot of miles cause injury.  In fact, running too many fast miles will cause injury, not just running more miles.

Usually around October 20 I start my winter training program at 20 mpw.

This is after taking a month or so off from running.

This year I have had trouble getting to 20 mpw because I haven't run as much in 2010 and 2011.

I keep getting aches from running. So in the past I have started at 20 then gone 22, 24, and back to 20.

This year I am just not getting there safely so I am lacking with teen mile weekly runs.

If by the end of September I am not progressing on my goal  you probably will see some 20 something weeks in October and they will all be slow miles.

Usually around October 20 I start my winter training program at 20 mpw.

This is after taking a month or so off from running.

This year I have had trouble getting to 20 mpw because I haven't run as much in 2010 and 2011.

I keep getting aches from running. So in the past I have started at 20 then gone 22, 24, and back to 20.

This year I am just not getting there safely so I am lacking with teen mile weekly runs.

If by the end of September I am not progressing on my goal  you probably will see some 20 something weeks in October and they will all be slow miles.

I am wondering why you didn't run part of the year?

I also put in more contents about resuming my training beginning of the year in my previous posts when you were replying to my initial first edit.

I think you can safely run 20 miles / week if you don't run them too fast.

I am wondering why you didn't run part of the year?

I also put in more contents about resuming my training beginning of the year in my previous posts when you were replying to my initial first edit.

I think you can safely run 20 miles / week if you don't run them too fast.

I read your comments thanks I like to hear what others think.

I was running about 20 mpw in March- May then I took a trip to Disney World and kind of fell out of the habit of running.

My brother in law was also running back then so it was fun to have a mileage war going on.

Then he got busy and his miles fell off.

Once you get into or out of the running habit it is hard to change your ways.