Got my "Spirit" ticket (Read 1010 times)

I emailed the trailer to my mom, who said, "That's supposed to make you want to run a marathon?" Followed by, "Why are you doing this again?" Roll eyes Smile
      So what did we think of Spirit? Quick observation: Jerry = older Christopher Walken. I think he clearly had the most fun. I teared up. So did the wife, who is now thinking maybe she will do a second marathon. She just put on her Dublin Marathon finisher medal. Felt sad for the Kenyan (I'm terrible with names.) My wife could identify with Lori, because when she told her mom she was running a marathon, also said, are you going to win? Some non runners have no idea. (Related pet peeve: You say you are running race X Y or Z, marathon or not, and some non runner says, "Oh, my _____ ran a 5 mile marathon." NO, they ran a 5 mile race!) Go Deena! Go everyone in that movie! I will run faster tomorrow for seeing this. It was awesome. I wonder why this movie isn't getting a broader "run."
        I emailed the trailer to my mom, who said, "That's supposed to make you want to run a marathon?" Followed by, "Why are you doing this again?" Roll eyes Smile
        Ha, that's funny! I heard my mom's voice when I read that!
          I loved the movie and also teared up. My favorite line was, "You run a marathon to feel accomplishment and possibility in life" and also, "Competition brings out the best in society". (excuse the probable misquoting) Go Deena. Bill Rogers has NOT aged well. Frank has. That is too huge of a marathon for me. Daniel (the Kenyan) really wanted that big paycheck, but it wasn't to be.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Another Passion

I thought it was well done and I like how it captured the essence of what the marathon means to an average person like myself in the non-ultra individuals it featured. My favorite part in the movie was in the middle of the race, there were some spectators on the side that had a sign that said, "You're our hero Dad! We love you!" I lost it when I saw that. Cry

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I loved it and definitely teared up. So inspiring to see the race from different perspectives.

~Sara
              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Teresadfp

One day at a time

What a wonderful movie! I liked the spectator's sign - "YOU'RE ALL CRAZY!" I liked seeing the older man and the two overweight women running the race - geez, if they can do it, maybe I should think about it! DH liked it so much that now he understands why I'm vaguely considering running one in the distant future. He had also balked at taking the time to cheer me on during my HM this September (he hates standing around!), but after the movie he said, "Of course I'll be there for you!" It also gave us more of an appreciation for our son's gift in running. When the one guy tried to run at 5-minute pace on the treadmill he said, "My legs aren't long enough to keep up with it!" DS 15 is barely 5'-6" and can already do it in 4:46. He can also run 10 miles almost effortlessly and would happily train for a marathon if we would let him. (I don't care what people are saying in the thread about the 16-year-old doing a marathon, it's a stupid idea - why ignore the experts and take a chance on ruining a lifetime of running?) I liked being part of an audience of RUNNERS and feeling like I belonged there!

My legs are killing me

I really enjoyed this movie and I thought it captured the emotions well. Hell, I was even nervous just before the start of the race. lol The runners were really great especially the older guy. He seems like someone who is really fun to hang out with. It was very inspiring and I was rooting for all of them. How great is Deena Kastor? She is a real class act and a great representative of the sport. Also, it was probably the healthiest group of movie goers I've been around. I was waiting in line to get a kit kat bar an noticed everyone was getting popcorn, no butter, and water. I felt guilty so it was just water for me!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Also, it was probably the healthiest group of movie goers I've been around. I was waiting in line to get a kit kat bar an noticed everyone was getting popcorn, no butter, and water. I felt guilty so it was just water for me!
                    I had the big bucket of popcorn WITH butter and a large DIET pop!! Smile I absolutley loved the movie and got a bit teary eyed at the finish line. I felt so bad for Daniel not winning and getting an insight to what his family life is like was eye opening to say the least. I went with a friend who is a non-runner and actually had no idea what I was taking her to see. She found it very inspirational too and identified with taking charge of your life and "going for it". I just might have to try my first Marathon this fall too. Which one are you thinking about Zoom-Zoom?? ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Loved it --- definitely teared up at points. Deena Kastor --- awesome. Such a positive attitude and a great competitor. Loved the story of Katherine Switzer (knew it already, but neat to see and hear about with pictures). The man who ran with his daughter -- never have seen anyone enjoy a marathon so much! "You're a professional talker who happens to run" -- hehe. The woman (single mother) -- so excited, very sweet to see her friendships with other runners The Kenyan -- was pulling for him.... sucks that he didn't win. The couple (BQ guy and his wife, new parents) -- I felt awful for him when the doc gave him the knee dx ... but was super happy at the end when we found out that he and his wife won Boston together, very sweet! I ended up selling my J's ticket (on craigslist) to a woman --- and we sat together and chatted before the movie Smile Very cool. When I talked to J, he told me he was sad he missed it ... I asked him why (he isn't a runner), and he said that he wants to be part of and learn more about something that's so important to me Smile
                      2009: BQ?

Maniac

When I talked to J, he told me he was sad he missed it ... I asked him why (he isn't a runner), and he said that he wants to be part of and learn more about something that's so important to me Smile
                        Wow...Not many guys say that kind of stuff....You might hang on to him. I wish my wife would take that kind of interest. Loved the movie...Very good. Very inspirational. Nearly teared up at the "Dad You're OUr Hero" sign. And I'm not very teary.... Also had butter on my popcorn and a gigantic Diet Coke.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just might have to try my first Marathon this fall too. Which one are you thinking about Zoom-Zoom?? ~Mary
                          I REALLY wanted to do GR, since I have done the half the last 2 years and loved it...but the move back a week threw a wrench in that plan, as DH will be out of town that weekend for a JDRF benefit bike ride (100+ miles in Death Valley). I don't want to run my first marathon (or any, for that matter) without him there to cheer and act as my support. So I'm probably going to do the Milwaukee Lakeshore on 10/5. My folks live a few hours from Milwaukee, my dad's cousin and her hubby and kids are in Milwaukee, and my brother is in NW Chicago area, so I will probably be able to have some good family support at that race, too. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The man who ran with his daughter -- never have seen anyone enjoy a marathon so much! "You're a professional talker who happens to run" -- hehe.
                            At the last minute my local attorney friend who I run with from time-to-time caught a ride with me down to the theater. When that old guy's DD said that she elbowed me and said "heh, that sounds like you." She likes running with me because we never run out of things to talk about and the miles go so fast. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow...Not many guys say that kind of stuff....You might hang on to him.
                              brag Yeah, he's basically the nicest, sweetest guy EVER. Big grin He woke up at 5:00 to go to Marine Corps with me, gave me roses at the end of Baltimore, drove down to Richmond (the 2 hour drive that took 5 hours) to watch me run Richmond, had a sign at VA Beach HM that said "go, wifey, go!" and never makes me feel guilty about the time I spend running ... then again, he just uses that time to nap/ watch tv with the kitties. /brag.
                              2009: BQ?
                                I enjoyed the entire movie. My wife came along and she agreed with the random sign that said "You're all Crazy" Oh well... it was excellent and made me want to go run!
                                Team Cross Runs more than just a running blog!