Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Hi there. I am Sara and I have been on the site since Jan 1., but I just finally started checking out the forums. I have always been a casual jogger and did races here and there, but now I am trying to challenge myself with more races and consistent running. I am running my first half marathon in less than 2 weeks and I am considering a full marathon later in the year. I am also trying to run 1,000 miles this year. These forums are great and so helpful!

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Hello, everyone. I found this site while I was looking for a decent running log, and so far it's been good to me. I just turned 30 and started training for my first marathon that will take place in September. Previously, I had run track and cross country since I was thirteen. I ran in college for a Div. III school, but in 2001 I ended up getting hurt. For four years I tried getting past my knee pain to no avail. Finally, in 2005 I started trying to build up my mileage very slowly. It worked, and I started getting in some decent mileage...until the winter hit. (I hate the cold and living in Wisconsin doesn't help.) I finally thawed out last April and ran through early November when I turned my ankle on a morning run. I took some time off to heal, gained a lot of weight, and then started running in January again. So here I am now, trying to stay healthy while adding to the mileage. I remember back to the good old days of running when I didn't have to worry about taking time away from a wife, two kids, and a dog because I have big goals in mind, but it's going to take some time. I look forward to it.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

You'll ruin your knees!

Well, welcome Sara and Abe! We are glad you found us and hope you will share your progress toward the goals you have set for yourselves...Sara, we'll be looking for a report on that half in a couple of weeks! Welcome, post early and often! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

indyrunner

Hey everyone, my name is Blake, I'm 27 and I live in Indianapolis. I've been using the site since a colleague at work told me about it at the beginning of March. I love to record and track my progress and the forums are great because everyone is so helpful and friendly. I ran my first marathon in 2004-- I decided to run one to force myself to get back in shape after an ACL reconstruction surgery. I let myself get back out of shape again after that so now I'm working back up to a marathon. I've run a few half marathons over the past couple of years but my goal is to run another marathon before the end of the year. I'm looking forward to trading stories and advice with everyone on the forums!
            Hi! My name is Elena and I live in Michigan. I am 38 and a mother of 2 girls - ages 7 & 9. I am currently a stay at home mom and a student back at school to get a nursing degree. I grew up a swimmer but quit that after high school. I have been working out consistently for the last several years and competed in a figure competition 2 years ago. I just started getting more serious about running and at the 1st of the year set a goal to run a 1/2 marathon at the end of May. I also informed hubby that he was going to do it with me! Unfortunately he has been very busy with work the last few weeks and his training has been sliding so we will se if he does it! I am determined though. What I enjoy about running is that you can do it anywhere and you can do it for a lifetime. I also enjoy setting a good example for my kids. Additionally I love having a goal to work towards and there are so many opportunities to set goals with running!
            Elena
              Hello Smile I'm Meg, and I'm 19 and currently a student at DePaul in Chicago. I ran cross country and track in high school, as well as running USATF meets over the summers, and have always been fairly addicted to exercise in general. I smashed up my ankle pretty badly spring of 2005 and had to take about a year off, but I'm getting back into the swing of things and just registered for my first marathon. We'll see how that goes Tongue I'm horrible about keeping to some sort of running schedule, so I joined this site in hopes that using a running log would force me to do a little better, but I'm also looking forward to just getting to chat with other people who love running.

You'll ruin your knees!

Well, howdy Blake, Elena and Meg! Welcome to RA and glad you could make it! We have a number of members from Michigan (some of the rowdies!) and Chicago...Please share what's going on in your running world! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

We have a number of members from Michigan (some of the rowdies!)
                  Hey! I resemble that remark!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

whsrunner

Hi everyone! I'm from Maryland and 16 years old. I started running cross country during my junior year of high school. I also run track. I mainly joined running ahead because I want to run hard during this summer and keep track of it so I can have a good senior year in both cross country and track.
                      Hi, Kathy from Maryland! I am 48 yrs old and have been running for 20 years. It changes all the time as my body changes-good old menopause. I am off to run the Country music 1/2 marathon this weekend and then seriously considering doing a full marathon again. Hope to get some inspiration from other runners here. Blessings Smile
                        Hi, My name is Orion. I am 28 years old and living in Green Bay, WI. I have been running for the past 13 years. I ran in high school and for a small D3 school in New England. After college I stopped running and now i am trying to get back into it. I have been running at least four days a week since January. I started using running ahead two weeks ago. I think it is one of the best logs out there and it helps me keep motivated. My goal is to run the Bellin 10K in Green Bay, WI in under 40 mins. Good luck with your running and i hope to have great conversations with all of you. Orion

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Orion--I was born in Appleton and spent most of my formative years up in Door County. My sister just moved to GB. I know there's at least one other member here (kate, I think?) in GB. Go Pack! Big grin Nice to have you here--RA is a fantastic place...keeps me motivated and working hard. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey! I resemble that remark!
                            Ummm...yeah, me too! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hey, Orion--I was born in Appleton and spent most of my formative years up in Door County. My sister just moved to GB. I know there's at least one other member here (kate, I think?) in GB. Go Pack! Big grin Nice to have you here--RA is a fantastic place...keeps me motivated and working hard. Smile k
                              Yes this is a great area. It has a lot going for it.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

Hi I'm Mandy from Wellington, New Zealand. I started running again in March after 6 months off. Someone pointed me towards this site yesterday and I've since become obsessed! I've put in all my training details since the start of March and I love it Big grin I also swim and play badminton regularly and try to do some strength training occasionally.