Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

I guess I'll jump in on this too.... I'm Jason; I'm a Cardiopulmonary tech currently stationed in a very sandy place with the Air Force ( I played Army for a while before I saw the light). I just finished administering cardiac stress tests through my "sleeping period" and I'm about to catch some dinner before I have to report for my actual (scheduled) shift. I run for two main reasons, to keep my sanity and to stay fit; I find the time I run is the only time I truly get to myself. Somewhere along the line I found that I truly enjoy running. I'm not the most regular of runners due to ridiculous work schedules and a tendency to overdo it, but I've been keeping a log (paper, left it back in the States on accident), and started on here recently which has helped both the regularity and the appropriatness of my running. I've enjoyed reading the posts on here and I look forward to a long stretch in this community of runners.
      hi, jase! my brother was in the 82nd (arrrmy family) and found himself in the best shape of his life during his time in iraq -- he ran to keep his stress down, so he found himself running... a LOT! good luck to you -- and run when you can! and... isn't this web-based log so convenient (as long as you have web access!)?
      x-country_grl

I'm here and I'm running!!!!!! LOL Wink

Looking gooooood ;p

I'm a Newby here so let's get the intoductions done... I'm a tall Brit who lives new Oxford but works in Reading - they're both slightly to the left of London to the uninitiated.....I am 46 now. I used to run and exercise a lot when I was in the Air Force in my twenties. Then I left, got a real job and had to work harder so the exercise more or less stopped - apart fron mountain biking that is. A couple of years ago, my daughter decided she wanted to start running and, since I did not like the idea of her running on the streets alone, I joined her. At first this was tough - try keeping up with someone 30 years younger and you'll know what I mean Wink Now though I love it! I don't race, I just go out for the joy of feeling alive... Business travel takes me to various parts of the world and running in strange places is a great way to get to know the area (in one case of note, learning the hard way where not to go!). Cheers, Phil
          The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
          va

Welcome Phil!!! Hey, we have a lot in common...I am a 46 year old, 191.8 pound engineer with a 14 year old daughter as well!

Looking gooooood ;p

Hey, Stephen, Nice meeting you.....Aren't 14 year-ols daughters fun....? Wink Cheers, Phil
              The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....

Basically... run!

Hey everyone, I'm Anna. I work in an elementary school and am greatly enjoying my summer off. Smile I've been logging my runs here since I started training for my first half marathon in the beginning of last year. The race went better than I expected (and exactly as I hoped), but I didn't get back to running after it. This last May I started running again when I got a notice of a 5K going right past my apartment - I knew I wouldn't get a much better sign than that! I was kind of disappointed in my 5K performance, but I immediately went home and looked up all the local races I could find. I am now training for another half marathon in October (I thought about trying to do the marathon, but decided that might be a bit too much too soon). Anyways, I just started reading and getting into the forums, so I thought I'd say hi... Smile

Into the wild

Hello Anna....nice to meet you. Good luck with you training and your run in October. Looks like you are putting in the leg-work..what time are you hoping for?

Shut up and run

Basically... run!

Hello. I'm hoping that I can get close to 2 hours again, and I'll be very happy if I can do it in less. Maybe I'll try to get to a 9 min. pace...

Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum, but not to running. I live south of Houston, Texas and am 31 years old. I've been running for about 2 years now and have done 4 half-marathons, 3 10k's, and 2 5k's. I run about 25-30 miles per week and I also swim and take spinning classes at the gym. I have a 2.5-year-old daughter a wonderful husband who is awesomely supportive of my habit. Smile My next challenge will be to train for a full marathon, probably in January (the Houston Marathon).
                      Abbie - A Running Mommy
                      anewland112

I am now training for another half marathon in October (I thought about trying to do the marathon, but decided that might be a bit too much too soon). Anyways, I just started reading and getting into the forums, so I thought I'd say hi... Smile I am a teacher too and enjoying my time off as well. I also am training for a HM in October...my first race in two years. I did the HM in Indy and then stopped running. My husband does marathons and I thought I wouldl do one then thought better of it and switched to the HM. Good luck to you!

You'll ruin your knees!

Welcome newcomers! It is so exciting to see the interest in this site grow. It is more exciting to see folks share their goals and collaborate on plans to achieve them! I'm glad you came! GAFanRunner, Houston is an AWESOME marathon with great support all along the course! I had a blast when I ran it back in 2001! anewland112, what is your goal marathon? Where are you? You should make your profile and logs public so we can all see how you're doing! Anyway, post early and often! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jlynnbob - I have actually done the Houston HM twice and love it! The other two I did were interesting - one was on the beach (Surfside, Texas) and the other was on trails in Seabrook, Texas. Thanks for the warm welcome!
                            Abbie - A Running Mommy
                              A Texas-sized welcome to all you new folks!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My name is Blaine, and I write over at Run to Win. I have been running for around 15 to 20 years or so, although I tend to be mediocre at the levels at which I compete. I have been averaging 2 marathons per year since I graduated from college, but I am hoping to bump that up to 3 (or 4) this year. I ran the Boston Marathon a second time, which doesn't bring me any closer to running one in all 50 states, so I am thinking of running a second marathon this Autumn to make up for that. My current choices right now leave me with a marathon the week after another one that I am committed two, a pair that are a month before but that I'm not that interested in running, and a 50k trail race a month and a half before that I am leaning towards. I used to run in the 85-95 miles per week range when I was in college (I ran for RIT), but I tend to get injured when I start exceeding 50-60 miles per week these days. My best marathons have all been run on around 40-45 miles per week. I also mix in a lot of swimming and weight lifting, and not enough bike riding. I would like to get into coaching at some point, but I need to find a way to work fewer hours before that really becomes something that I can realistically pursue. Working fewer hours will probably have to wait until my wife passes the bar exam and starts working, so I have a few more years to run for myself and to offer advice to some local friends and to random people that stop by my site on the internet. I started using this site towards the beginning of this year, but just recently started moving along into the forums and such. It's a pleasure meeting all y'all. I hope that I am not pissing off too many people by constantly linking to my site, but as I am going on my third year of writing for it, there are a lot of articles that I have written that address things that are being discussed and its easier to link than to retype. That, and I like promoting my writing whenever possible in the hopes that somebody finds it worthwhile and looks around to find something else that is worthwhile.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)