Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Julianne R

Hello, everyone! I'm Julianne and am new to this site, which I joined a few days ago to log my exercise. I've never been a runner really, but something about it appeals to me very much lately. Four years ago I was in a bad accident and am still participating in PT. I've come a long way, but my current level of fitness barely resembles what I had prior to my injuries. So I'm starting a walk/run program, dreaming of the day when 15-20 mpw is as normal an activity for me as brushing my teeth. I look forward to learning from you all.
    va

...dreaming of the day when 15-20 mpw is as normal an activity for me as brushing my teeth...
      Good goal Julianne! Welcome!

Just me...

Hello! I started to C25K program a few weeks ago. I'm on week three and feeling extremely positive about it. Things are coming along great! I'm glad I've found a site where I can receive support and gain knowledge. Can't wait to get to know everyone. Latrice

3/22/09- 177.0 Goal- 145(flexible)

va

Hi Latrice, Welcome to RA! Have you picked-out a 5K race to run?

Dog-Love

I'm not usually on the welcome committee but glad you are here and there is lots of great information and the folks are great. Sherry
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

You'll ruin your knees!

Julianne and Latrice, I always enjoy coming back to this discussion and finding new names who have joined the excitement about getting on board with a running program and sharing their experiences with other like-minded folks. Please poke around in the different forums and post early and often! There are lots of folks who are just waiting to share their experiences with you and help you celebrate your accomplishments! WELCOME! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Just me...

Hi Latrice, Welcome to RA! Have you picked-out a 5K race to run?
                Thank you for the warm welcome. I have not yet picked out a 5K race but that is a goal of mine for 2008. I visited a website that listed 5K races in my state (Texas) but I just scanned the list. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. I'll probably look for one more in depth towards the end of the program. I don't think I'll feel confident to to one for a while. Thanks for asking. Latrice

Just me...

Julianne and Latrice, I always enjoy coming back to this discussion and finding new names who have joined the excitement about getting on board with a running program and sharing their experiences with other like-minded folks. Please poke around in the different forums and post early and often! There are lots of folks who are just waiting to share their experiences with you and help you celebrate your accomplishments! WELCOME! Lynn B
                  Thank you Lynn! I've been lurking around here for a week or so. I didn't find a welcome thread and I didn't want to just march in here and post somewhere without at least introducing myself first so I'm glad I found this thread! Smile Latrice

Welcome Julianne and Latrice! Latrice, I see you are from Bedford. I just did the C25K program earlier this year. Another thing I found very helpful was to join a local running club. There you can find people at your ability level to run with and most clubs offer free or very inexpensive races to their members several times a year. You may want to look into the Grapevine Runners and Walkers club. There are some great people in that club.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Julianne R

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am not ready for the "real" C25K yet, so I've decreased the running times a bit for the first week. I have tried a couple times to follow the real program, get through the first couple of days, and then get some pain resulting from my previous injuries and just not being able to take the pounding yet. I've read in several places that your cardio fitness improves or adapts faster to running than your bones, ligaments, etc., and that seems to be my experience b/c I can do quite a bit on the elliptical, bike, ski machine, etc. but a few sessions of running, even with days off in between them, cause pain. (I do have shoes from a real running store, btw, so it's not that.) I can't wait until I can just get out there and go! Smile
                        I've read in several places that your cardio fitness improves or adapts faster to running than your bones, ligaments, etc.
                        This is true. Don't forget that walking is awesome for cross training too! I like this better than the machines, because it lets me get outside even when I can't, shouldn't or choose not to run.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, gals...welcome! C25k is an excellent way to get started. It's been almost 2 years since I set about to do that, too. I'm planning to run my first marathon next Fall (have done 3 halfs/halves...ack, grammar). I wish C25k had been around when I was in my 20s. Though without RA I don't think I ever would have stuck with running...this place is such a great source of support and friendship. Smile BTW, check out the Ladies Locker Room link in my signature. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Latrice, great to have another person from the state here. Here are some races in Tarrant County you might want to entertain next year. Cowtown 5K (Feburary 23rd) http://www.cowtownmarathon.org/ Hope River Run 8K (March 15th) http://www.hopechurch.com/riverrun/home.php Hank 4 mile Run (March 29th) http://www.h-a-n-k.org/Events.htm Run to Joe's 5K (March 29th) http://www.samaritanhouse.org/runtojoes/index.asp Fort Worth Zoo Run 5K and 10K (End of April) <--first official="" run="" (i="" mean="" walk)="" i="" ever="" did!=""></--first>http://www.fortworthzoo.org/visit/zoorun.html

Vim

I joined at the beginning of Nov. when I started running. I haven't run in a long time... probably over ten years, since my wrestling days. But I'm looking forward to getting into race shape for next year. I really like the forums. Thanks for all the info. It's been really helpful. Jim U.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, Jim...I love the reason why you run from your profile! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay