Anyone run and listen to E-books at the same time? (Read 874 times)

Peace out!

I'm kind of surprised how expensive audio books are.

libravox.org

Free downloads of hundreds of literary classics (i.e. public domain), all read by volunteers. It's been a great way to listen to the classics.

The reader for many of the Twain works is particularly excellent.

edit: oops. I missed the earlier post about this. Well, consider it an endorsement of the previous recommendation.

PRs:

5k -    22:39      12/11     10k -  49:10      11/11

20k -  1:56:56    9/12      13.1 - 1:54:07    3/12

30k -   3:05:54   9/12      26.2 -  5:00:27 10/12

I listen to This American Life and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (NPR Podcasts) every week while I run. Wait Wait Don't Tell Me can be hilarious. (Sometimes This American Life is, too.) So sometimes I'll be running along down the running trail with all the other runners and walkers and suddenly just start laughing. I'm sure I look ridiculous. But I love listening to those podcasts when I run. But I think doing nothing but enjoying a run -- while listening to nothing but the birds -- is great, too.

jingchunyu

Our library does Overdrive, but it seems all the books are constantly checked out.  They need to license more of 'em.

If you happen to enjoy classical literature, you can download from http://librivox.org/ since all recording there are in public domain.

The downside is that they are all recorded by volunteers so some of them are not of high quality.

I've got to be in the minority, but I've been doing most of my runs on the treadmill to rehab my knee, and I've figured out that if I bump up the font size a notch on the Kindle, it's pretty enjoyable to read while running.

jingchunyu

Our library does Overdrive, but it seems all the books are constantly checked out.  They need to license more of 'em.

You can download and enjoy radio plays from BBC too.  They are all British. The American do not produce radio play any more

http://www.wirelesstheatrecompany.co.uk/index.php/component/jotloader?Itemid=15&cid=2

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

My in-laws got me Lopez Lomong's autobiography, Running For My Life, on CD for Christmas.  I've really been enjoying it.  F. Scott Fitzgerald he ain't, but wow, pretty amazing story, and it's really something to hear him describe his feelings on arriving in America, and on American life in general.  If it doesn't make you thankful for whatever good you have in your life, I don't know why.

Be warned, though: if you are offended and/or frightened by people who profess to converse with God, you might want to steer clear.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

I just recently bought an ipod shuffle, for the purpose of being able to listen to audiobooks.  I have a few songs loaded on it and loaded a book last week as well- the next time I went for a run, I tried to listen to the book, and all that would play were the songs!  I don't know what the deal is.  According to my computer, the book is in there, but when I skip through the music, it just goes back around through the music again- no book.  Humph.

As for listening to music while running, the couple of times I've tried it, I've found myself speeding up the whole time, lol.  I go a little crazy, even though I'm trying to slow myself down the whole time.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I just recently bought an ipod shuffle, for the purpose of being able to listen to audiobooks.  I have a few songs loaded on it and loaded a book last week as well- the next time I went for a run, I tried to listen to the book, and all that would play were the songs!  I don't know what the deal is.  According to my computer, the book is in there, but when I skip through the music, it just goes back around through the music again- no book.  Humph.

As for listening to music while running, the couple of times I've tried it, I've found myself speeding up the whole time, lol.  I go a little crazy, even though I'm trying to slow myself down the whole time.

Did you hold down the button on top, the one that tells you the title of the song if you press it and cycles through playlists, podcasts, and audiobooks if you hold it down?  If not, give that a try.  I'm not sure, but I think it skips over audiobooks and podcasts if you just turn it on and let it play.  But I almost always skip to a playlist, so I don't know.

Also, how did you acquire the audiobook?  If it's audible.com, I know it's capable of playing it.  Any other source, I can't confirm compatibility.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Did you hold down the button on top, the one that tells you the title of the song if you press it and cycles through playlists, podcasts, and audiobooks if you hold it down?  If not, give that a try.  I'm not sure, but I think it skips over audiobooks and podcasts if you just turn it on and let it play.  But I almost always skip to a playlist, so I don't know.

Also, how did you acquire the audiobook?  If it's audible.com, I know it's capable of playing it.  Any other source, I can't confirm compatibility.

Oh, you know what?  It was because I had it set to shuffle instead of playing in order.  Your tip inspired me to go try to figure it out- thanks!  : )  And I actually got the audiobook for free from LibraVox.  Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

MrNamtor

So a bunch of people who are about 1000 times the runner I am have said on this thread that they listen to E-books while running. But. my personal belief is that listening to e-books, watching programs on TV, reading newspapers, etc, DIVERT energy from your workout, and hamper you. In some measurable way, I believe that doing these things dilute the intensity and rhythm of your body's movement. I'd never do it.

hyperphil

I have learned Dari, German and Greek in the course of about 3000 miles (8 months).  Plus lots of great fiction and a good deal of economics.  It's the only way to train.  As for distraction, if I can qualify for Boston, run the Wasatch 100 in less than 24 hours, and break 20 hours on a flat 100, I'll take the "distraction from rhythm" and the language skills any day for the 1% loss of time.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I have learned Dari, German and Greek in the course of about 3000 miles (8 months).  Plus lots of great fiction and a good deal of economics.  It's the only way to train.  As for distraction, if I can qualify for Boston, run the Wasatch 100 in less than 24 hours, and break 20 hours on a flat 100, I'll take the "distraction from rhythm" and the language skills any day for the 1% loss of time.

hyperphil-

Which language product did you find suitable for running?

steph  

Tshel106

I often listen to books that I know I would not have the attention span to sit and read aat home. I have ended up reading mostly history books, particularly Greek and Roman history. For some reason, those cultures make motivate me!

MrNamtor

Believe me, I'm not criticizing you for doing what you're doing, You're getting out of it what you want out of it, and it seems like you're getting a hell of a lot out of it. Your running as much in 8 months as I'd run in 20, and I'm sure you'd kick my butt in any running contest.

I'm talking about my own philosophy. For me, it's more than a loss of time. It's really not even about time. It's about not being there. It's about not being in what you're doing.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Believe me, I'm not criticizing you for doing what you're doing, You're getting out of it what you want out of it, and it seems like you're getting a hell of a lot out of it. Your running as much in 8 months as I'd run in 20, and I'm sure you'd kick my butt in any running contest.

I'm talking about my own philosophy. For me, it's more than a loss of time. It's really not even about time. It's about not being there. It's about not being in what you're doing.

I understand what you're saying, but for me, I can only be "in what I'm doing" for a certain amount of time.  Maybe I have adult ADD or something, but I have trouble focusing on ANYTHING for more than 30 mins. or so, even during a race, so it's not like I'll be paying that much attention to "left, right, left, right, left, right" whether I have earbuds in or not.  My mind will be elsewhere, regardless.

Different strokes.