cold weather (Read 1110 times)

I just started running this year and relly like doing it. I also just found this website and it seems everyone knows more about the sport than i do.Its getting cold here in Ohio now and I still want to run outside. Can someone tell me what to wear so i can be comfortable and warm
    2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October

My legs are killing me

Just wear layers on top. The amount depends on how cold it is. I usually wear shorts down to 30 degrees. Also, depending on the temp, wear a winter hat and gloves. I think the longest I've ever been cold on a run is about 1/2 mile after that it's a piece of cake.
        Layers are the key to success in cold weather running.......FIRST and FOREMOST - a tight layer of non-cotton - I dont remember the names of the various fabrics, but there are many that will push the sweat from your body so you can stay a little dryer. You can get tops like this at Walmart for $10 or at sports stores for up to $70 and the range is anywhere in between - I go to Walmart cause I aint proud) -- Under Armor is great, but I think it costs way too much to sweat in.... -then loose layers (long sleeved) A lot of us (me included) really like running tights - tight to the skin on your legs (my son hates them because he says it makes him feel like a sissy ------ I tell him he is a sissy so wear them and keep warm -- And besides real runner MEN and WOMEN wear tights -- its just the way it is). I like running tights because my legs stay warm and I can move well when wearing them...(I bought some a few days ago for $29 [at Dicks Sporting Goods] but have seen them for as much as $90 - if you look around you can find some decent deals). Then on the colder days - wind breaker and/or wind pants (wind pants over tights while running is usually bulky and only needed in VERY extremely cold days - like below ZERO days).... For the ears I prefer a headband that covers the ears because stocking hats are usually too warm except on extremely cold cold days. Dont forget the gloves ( I wear mittens because I can keep my hands warmer in them) and usually after a couple miles I take them off except in extremely cold or windy days. if you used these as guidelines and experiment a little to see what works best for you - you should be OK. General Rule of Thumb - the faster you run the less you need to wear because your body makes more heat (This might explain why I HAVE to wear so much clothing when I run)..... Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

thumbs up!

This is my second winter running. Last year I stayed inside on the treadmill. Today I ventured out with new yaktrax on my shoes. Great traction, never slipped once which was my biggest issue about winter running. I'd highly recommend them if road conditions are iffy. I agree with Sully & John, after you get going you don't notice the cold so much.
          2010 Goals
          1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
          2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
          3. sub 30 min 5k
          4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Nothing new to add, but welcome aboard! You wouldn't be in Cleveland by any chance, would you?
              Not quite Cleveland, i live in a small town just below Wooster which is about an hour or so south of Cleveland
              2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October

Old, Slow, Happy

Welcome!!! I'll agree with the layers. Start out a little cool, you'll warm up in a few minutes. My son lives in Akron and my mothers' family is from Holmes County.
                FutureIronMan

WELCOME ABOARD....but how does an Ohioan...u like that i said it right....is a yankee fan??? as for the cold stuff....this yr i decided to run mostly indoors bec in ny the weather are sometimes insane..
                    This is my eighth year of winter running here in Michigan and my attire is pretty basic. It consists of one to three layers of long sleeve running shirts on with an ordinary cotton jersey on top to break the wind. The bottom half consists of a pair of Cool Max briefs, a critical piece of equipment for us guys (frostbite in this area is not something you'll want to experience), and one or two pair of tights. A pair of wicking socks and a pair of Cool Max glove liners keep my feet and hands toasty and a light weight polyester cap tops it all off. I've run in temps as low as -10F in this combination and been perfectly comfortable. A few basic guidelines for winter running include: (1) Never wear anything made of cotton next to your skin. It will get wet and stay wet, making you uncomfortably and possibly dangerously cold. It's fine as an outer layer but stick to synthetics on the inside. (2) Dress as though it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is, you should be cold for the first mile of two. It's better to under dress than over dress when running in the cold. (3) Stay closer to home when it's cold. A twisted ankle that might be an inconvenience in the summer can become a serious situation in the winter for a lightly dressed runner. (4) Don't forget to hydrate. Your sweat evaporates quickly in the dry air and you'll lose more water than you think. Tom
                      The following have kept me comfortable into the 20s: Tights (Champion C9 base layer from Target) Shorts Long sleeve compression shirt (again, Champion C9 base layer) Long sleeve t-shirt Maybe a hat/ear warmer Convertible gloves-mittens I've done a few runs in colder weather but not enough to have it down to a science. I have a running jacket and a pair of running pants available to add a layer to the top and bottom. I've never needed to do anything for my feet.

-------------------------------------
                      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Slo

I love cold weather running ! You got some good advice here. Now just go do it.
                          actually holmes county is where i live and as for the yankee fan thing i just loved them ever since i was a kid

De-slacking in progress

actually holmes county is where i live and as for the yankee fan thing i just loved them ever since i was a kid
                            I'm in Carroll county- just over the hill from 'yuns

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Slaptear you live pretty close to my place. I think i'm going to try and hit some 5k's over New Philly Dover area next year do you know of any?
                              PDoe

Anything with a big red "B" on the front should work. Wink