?? for those who have used Galloway (Read 1535 times)

Hawt and sexy

I used the Galloway program. Like any program, it's not for everyone. Being a fast marathoner does not, in any way, make a person an expert on what particular program will work for an unknown person. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but as a disabled person, I also object to the use of the word "retarded" in this situation. Retardation, like any other disability, is not a laughing matter and the term should not be used to describe a strategy you disagree with. In addition, as a disabled person who has used the Galloway program with success, I do not appreciate my strategies being called retarded by anyone, even a faster runner. Like it or not, it works for some people.
    When I mention a time on a given person, I don't care if you think they are good, bad or indifferent, that is not my point. The point is that a person does not get up off of the couch and run that kind of time in the marathon. We know this because Lance tried it. They have to have been running for YEARS to get a marathon down to that time. Andy is a national class/sub-elite runner. His opinion should be judged as such. He has been through a ton of miles and I am sure he remembers what it is like to start from scratch. His 'scratch' though is a bit higher than ours. This should not be an issue you consider when taking his advice, it is not like he never was a slower runner. He just is not currently at our level. So what? That does not mean he never was where most of us are today. Peeps like Andy and Nobby should be heard, not thrown out on their ass because someone has some issue with terms they choose to use; some things are not meant as a personal vendetta. Now given that, my opinion as a 'slower' runner would be that the few Galloway programs that I have seen would have left me as a DNS at the marathon. I would have been ill prepared and unable to finish the long runs he prescribes. I am very lucky I found a better program and also had enough forethought to understand that it is ok to wing it occasionally. (Ok, I wing it a lot.) I am also lucky that I found a site that had people like Andy and Nobby at it dispensing their advice for no cost. These are people to respect, not belittle. They will give you the stepping stones you need to be free of a program. That way you can think on your own and accomplish so much more. But you must be willing to listen first. Without that, you can just stick you nose in a book and blindly follow I guess. People should not only respect the marathon, they should also respect those who give well meaning advice no matter how it is delivered. HTFU.

I'm touching your pants.

JakeKnight

I like turtles.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Queen of 3rd Place

Must be happy hour in Jake's neck o the woods. Tongue Cheers! Arla

Ex runner

Now given that, my opinion as a 'slower' runner would be that the few Galloway programs that I have seen would have left me as a DNS at the marathon. I would have been ill prepared and unable to finish the long runs he prescribes. I am very lucky I found a better program and also had enough forethought to understand that it is ok to wing it occasionally. (Ok, I wing it a lot.) I am also lucky that I found a site that had people like Andy and Nobby at it dispensing their advice for no cost. These are people to respect, not belittle. They will give you the stepping stones you need to be free of a program. That way you can think on your own and accomplish so much more. But you must be willing to listen first. Without that, you can just stick you nose in a book and blindly follow I guess.
          I don't have a problem with your position here. Use what works for you. I read Daniels and Pfitzinger as well as Higdon and Galloway and over the years have read many a website on "how to run better", as well as many posters from CR, Kick and RunAhead who have much different opinions than I do. Some I've experimented with and others left alone. But I've always come back to Galloway as for what works best for me. As for respect I wasn't aware anyone was disrespecting Andy and Nobby. Some of us simply have a different opinion. And when you look at the dozens of ways to train along with probably over 100 websites dedicated to running there are going to be varying opinions. As for slower runners that use the Galloway program, I'm currently training 5 first timers for the Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville next month. Our final 26 mile run is this coming Saturday. Timewise, it is the slowest group I've ever trained. And while turtles we may be, they will all cross the finish line just fine.
          USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

Beatin' on the Rock

Galloway has some of the worst programs out there. They are a great formula for injury. Hal Higdon is a close second. To the poster that thinks Galloway programs are the best, good for you, ... I guess you made the Olympic Trials? Will we see you in Beijing? Play nice? Bite me. (I just noticed that this ass was a gimmick account even. Nice.)
            Poopy. While I have heard great things about JG, I am using HH; and as a beginner, so far with his program, very successful. Tonguem I think some folks get so caught up in times and paces that they forget some of us are just happy to be able to do it. Shy
            Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Feeling the growl again

Using this term to describe anything in the negative reveals prejudice against an unfortunate segment of the population. It is nasty and serves only to make people feel bad, including the target of the post and all those people who have family members with developmental disabilities. Please play nice.
              Let me provide you with a little bit of education on your vocabulary. The currently accepted terminology is "mentally challenged" or less formally "special". Referring to mentally challenged people as "retarded" is a bit old school. The word "retarded" has been around a bit longer than it has been used to refer to mentally challenged people, and actually means "moving or proceeding slowly; delayed or impeded." This is exactly what following such a ridiculous training plan will do to you and your running. My terminology was quite accurate. Any reference to mentally challenged people is purely an artifact of an overly politically correct mind looking for anything to be offended at. Which appears accurate judging from your screen name. If I wanted to be an immature moron I'd be posting on letsrun.com. I've trained myself from a 28min 2-miler to a 2:28 marathoner. I know a thing or two about being slow and what it takes to change that. So pardon me if I use that experience to highlight the deficiencies of a plan. Pardon me if I use accurate terminology. Pardon me if I disagree with a former Olympian making money off selling a plan that is quite against everything he ever used training himself when I actually know what it's like to be a turtle and had to figure out myself what it takes to remedy the situation, and offer my experiences free of charge.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JakeKnight

Let me provide you with a little bit of education on your vocabulary. The currently accepted terminology is "mentally challenged" or less formally "special". Referring to mentally challenged people as "retarded" is a bit old school. The word "retarded" has been around a bit longer than it has been used to refer to mentally challenged people, and actually means "moving or proceeding slowly; delayed or impeded." This is exactly what following such a ridiculous training plan will do to you and your running. My terminology was quite accurate.
                Dude. C'mon. Dude. Seriously. Dude. Look, you're obviously a talented runner - maybe the most talented among us. I'm sure you're also a swell guy. I'll bet you're kind to children and play a wicked harmonica. But ... dude. You just spent a paragraph semantically dissecting your use of an offensive word (offensive to some, anyway, even if not to me), while informing someone that you were going to "provide them an education" and simultaneously ridiculing - your words - their training program. The funny thing is, I agree with you on the substance of your comments, as far as the training goes. But, dude ... just, dude. Read what you wrote. Really read it. Would you appreciate it directed at you? How about when I check here in the morning, you've deleted this post and tried again? Or else I'm posting more stuff about turtles. And emus. Don't make me pull out the emu.

Dog-Love

Is it possible to vote someone off the forums?
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  JakeKnight

Is it possible to vote someone off the forums?
                    At least wait 'til I log out for the night before you vote me off the island. You're so crabby.

Dog-Love

Hey it won't be you big gorilla man...its Alaska time and I'm going to log off and hibernate. Night John boy
                      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

madness baby

Quite bluntly, this is a "moving or proceeding slowly; delayed or impeded" training strategy, and I . . .
                        I thought I'd clarify that. Now of course it makes perfect sense.
                        deb
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, mentally challenged is incorrect. You prolly meant "developmentally delayed". No wait. I'm wrong. I think this is what you meant. Wink MTA: Spaniel, many agree with your sentiment; Galloway's method is not likely the best way to pull a PR and may lead to injury by giving folks confidence before ability. But it IS a great way to get folks moving, to transition folks from inactivity to activity and to give them excitement about completing a goal. Respect the marathon distance? YES. Amen. It is an anti-physiologic task. To do it requires either inhuman effort or little tricks (such as the Galloway method). But that does not mean that everybody attempting it must take the HTFU route to the finish line. And all us 4+ hour marathoners pay for the event so that the 3- hour marathoners can collect their prize money, have loads of 'thons from which to chose and can enjoy closed roads and good course support (all of which cost quite a bit of money). Is Galloway for me? Naw, probably not. And I have suffered unscheduled walking at more than one marathon attempt. But that does not mean Galloway is not for my rational and intelligent neighbor.
                            But, dude ... just, dude. Read what you wrote. Really read it. Would you appreciate it directed at you? How about when I check here in the morning, you've deleted this post and tried again? Or else I'm posting more stuff about turtles. And emus. Don't make me pull out the emu.
                            Jake, this is such a great post that it makes me want to be your brother. It's seriously got nothing to do with your mom or emus. As lies go, I suppose that one's a bit transparent. OK, it has almost everything to do with your mom, but this is still a classic post. Jake K's mom has got it goin' on... Now where was I, oh yeah. I lurked on here for a pretty good while, then posted on here for a while before I came out of the run/walk closet. Not because I was afraid of being flamed, but because I didn't feel like a "real" runner. Anybody who wants to take a run/walk discussion offline is welcome to email me, there is a link in my RA profile. I'll never push Galloway on anybody, to each his own. I just know that I personally owe my marathon finish to Galloway's training program (and inspiration provided by my kids' athletic endeavors). Lemming that I am, I did follow the schedule slavishly. As a newbie, I figured it would be pretty foolhardy to think that I know more than an Olympian who has coached thousands. I never ran more than three days a week, but I also never ran less than three days a week. As for Galloway being a formula for injury, I've found just the opposite to be true. I haven't missed a scheduled run in two years, and the day after the Marathon I honestly didn't feel any different than any of my other long runs. I've recently been eliminating walk breaks from runs of five miles or less, but I'm planning to run/walk another marathon in Providence in early May. I'm adjusting my intervals and adding a fourth day, cuz I'm beginning to dream of a BQ. I'll keep you all posted on that Quixotic quest. Enjoy your running, and help others do the same.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A is A

I followed Galloway in the beginning, as well. It's wonderful for building up more and more miles without too much stress. As a beginner, having those walk breaks is a godsend. Little by little you can break yourself of them, if you like. I have and am now doing upwards of 10 miles with few to no breaks (do pee breaks and stoplights count?). I credit following the simple Galloway methodology and tweaking them where I saw fit (as he recommends doing). The information he provides in his books is also very good and useful. No where in his books does he claim that run/walking will get you to the Olympics. No where in his books does he even claim that run/walking is the same as running. He always refers to his method as run/walking not running. He is very honest in the claims he makes and very conservative as well. The ridicule of Galloway and his programs that I have encountered is unwarranted and mean spirited.

Big Chicken!

Without the use of a run/walk program, I would not be runningtoday. I began running using Couch to 5K. That program starts with more walking than running and gradually gets people to running a full 30 minutes. A seemingly impossible task for me 8 months ago. After some time I kept with just running, albiet very slowly. I could do 6 miles but it would take forever. I was sure anyone driving by would have thought I was on mile 37 with the "speed" and form I had. Blush I was entered into a marathon and it was then I realized that I had to do something differently. SO after looking through plans I settled on John Bignham's Marathoning for Mortals run/walk marathon plan. Holy $h!+ did I notice an immediate difference. I felt stronger. I was able to go longer. My form improved. I was a bit faster. It got me (mostly) through the marathon. At first, my running husband was skeptical. But even he noticed that I had changeds. I was looking forward to running each day. LOOKING FORWARD to running! Shocked NEVER thought that would happen! The only drawback so far has been my lack of ability to run a consistent 30 minutes without a walk break but that is just a matter of building myself up again. I have a 15K planned in May and my original goal was to run the entire 9.3 miles. I have revised that to finish in 100 minutes. Still slow, yes, but faster and stronger than my first day of running. I will be using walk breaks. If that is what keeps me motivated to run and happily get my butt out there then so be it. I am happy for everyone who can run without walk breaks, especially those who can BQ or post amazingly low times at any distance. But for me, right now, run/walk works. No injuries (yet...knocks on wood), just happiness. I want to run forever and if this is what gets me to my goal, I will do it. (And I have noticabley better health and weight because of it.) HAPPY RUNNING!! Smile
                                Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!