Tucson Marathon Race Report (Read 783 times)

That was a great report. Congratulations. Have you thought at all about what you did differently from your other eight marathons that gave you this huge PR? Was it better training or simply a smarter race? That's rather incredible. Good luck in Boston '08 or '09!!

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

btb1490

Congrats on the HUGE PR and the BQ! Sounded like a great day all around!
        That is AMAZING!!! Congratulations on BQing and running one hell of a PR!!! Big grin I peeked at your log -- looks like you put a lot of time and effort into training for this race --- and it certainly paid off!!
        2009: BQ?
          Awesome job! Amazing and inspiring. Congrats!
            WTGWTGWTG!!!! awesome race! I'm thrilled for you! Congrats and see ya in Boston! Cool

Jennifer mm#1231

Kick a$$!!!! Good job! Big grin
              "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
              GP160

Amazing....so happy for you!
                Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                  Hi Lank, I did a TON of things differently with this race than with all my others. Here's a list of a few things: 1) More total miles in the 18 weeks leading up to this race 2) More weekly miles - maxed out at 60.7 miles 3) More long runs at a faster pace (and one 20 miler at race pace on the course) 4) Used Sustained Energy and Hammer Gel by Hammer Nutrition during training runs and race so I could sip slowly throughout my run - stay hydrated, get energy and not get sick from gulping down fluids/gels at aid stations 5) I carried a water bottle with the hammer nutrition stuff in it during the race so I had access to fluids when I wanted them so as to head off dehydration (another probably cause of my upper GI issues) 6) I took electrolyte tablets every hour to prevent dehydration and leg cramping 7) Took pepcid ac (famotidine) before my long runs (Thanks to Jlynnbob who gave me advice over a year ago when I asked about how to deal with heartburn...tums help a little but pepcid has been great!) 8) Took 15 minute ice baths after ALL runs >18 miles so recovery would be faster 9) Took a day or two off as needed with my lingering hip flexor and transverse abdominal strains so as to not exacerbate the injury 10) Added in pace runs every week - 1.3 mile warm up - pace run ranging from three 5 mins x 1 min jog up to 30 straight minutes - followed by 1-3 mile cool down 11) Track every week (I did this one in previous races though) 12) I cut out coffee (and all caffeine) from the morning of my race or long runs. (It added to my stomach problems) 13) I cut out peanut butter from my race morning bagel breakfast (the fat in peanut butter decreases gastric emptying time so might have contributed to my heartburn/nausea issue) I'm sure there are more things but these are the biggies. I'd say the biggest factor was consistency in my running from day to day. I ran 5 days out of the week and some days I ran two times a day if I didn't get in all my miles in the first run. Hope this helps! Smile
                    congrats rroush, looks like you finished about a minute and a half ahead of me. Unfortunately that means I missed a BQ by just less than two minutes. Sad At least I salvaged a PR so it wasn't a total disaster. One thing I learned yesterday--just because it's a fast course, doesn't necessarily mean it's an easy course.
                    Wow Perfessor! 2 minutes is really close! At least you got a PR. Congratulations!!! Smile That's always my primary goal. Smile So, I wonder if we were running right by each other for part of the way. This race is so small compared to many other marathons that I bet we saw each other and just didn't know it. I agree that fast does not necessarily mean easy too especially with lots of downhill and some rolling hills mixed in. Did you know they changed the course from previous years? The hilly out and back section was new as was the finishing 2 miles.
                      Thanks for the detailed list and that helps a lot. Congrats again.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

You'll ruin your knees!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW! Shocked Shocked Way to go, rroush! That is an incredible improvement in PR...gives me hope that I may still have a BQ in me! Great job in capturing differences between your prep for this races versus others. BTW, I have found that Zantac works better than Pepcid AC in preventing indegestion (for me). Congrats! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, wow...that is fantastic...a BQ and massive PR! What do you credit for cutting so much time? That is incredible--no wonder you are so excited and proud. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

This is awesome rroush! All these great reports give me a good deal of inspiration as I look forward to 2008. Congrats on the PR and the BQ.

Tick tock

Cogratulaions on an OUTSTANDING marathon. Thanks for posting what you did differently to combat the stomach issues. I've run 2 marathons and my first one I had terrible stomach issues from 16 miles on. During training for my 2nd marathon I was having the same issues on long runs. I finally followed some great advice from a fellow Shamrock runner and was able to do a comfortable 20 miler and had a great 2nd marathon with a 31 minute improvement over my 1st one. I'm curious, did you do any runs over 20 miles? I felt like I was trained really well for 20 miles, but my pace dropped off dramatically after mile 20. Thanks, Bob
                                Bob, in the past I haven't usual run more than a couple of 20 milers at the most and only once or twice did I ever run more than 20 miles before a race. This time I ran the following 20+ runs during training: 20.37 miler along the marathon race course on 9/15 26.2 hilly trail marathon done very slowly on 10/13 22 miler on asphalt up and down a mountain road on 11/3 23 miler flat route on dirt on 11/10 Plus another couple of 20 milers. Only one of these was run at race pace and it was the last one I did along the marathon course about two weeks before the actual race.