Look at Mills, look at Mills! (Read 60 times)

The network call of "look at Mills, look at Mills!" has to be one of the most famous calls (for us Americans) in US distance racing history. It's probably what most of us type into YouTube to find that tremendous comeback win in the 10,000-meter finals of the 1964 Olympics. But one thing I did not realize is that the network fired the announcer the next day because of that call.

That call makes the hair on my arms stand up. It is pure emotion, equal parts amazement and joy.

Dick Bank gives his story

hear the call

in color, but with a different call

robin from maine

Thanks for posting this!

robin from maine

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The network call of "look at Mills, look at Mills!" has to be one of the most famous calls (for us Americans) in US distance racing history. It's probably what most of us type into YouTube to find that tremendous comeback win in the 10,000-meter finals of the 1964 Olympics. But one thing I did not realize is that the network fired the announcer the next day because of that call.

That call makes the hair on my arms stand up. It is pure emotion, equal parts amazement and joy.

Dick Bank gives his story

hear the call

in color, but with a different call

I just finished rereading Clarke's autobiography, The Unforgiving Minute.  Bank's comment is an iconic moment. I can't believe he was fired over that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

That’s great. I also really enjoyed the interview he did for the Athens Olympics. It was very moving.

https://youtu.be/vvrPRAtrmJM

BILLY MILLS - YouTube