Wow...Heath Ledger is dead (Read 895 times)

run4fun8910

My wife instant messaged me at work today when she found out. This is very sad as is anytime that some one passes away especially if it is suicide. If only he could have reached out to anyone and just said hey I need help. All I ask is that if anyone of you ever start having problems just say hey help me. Well it is a good thing that the only addiction I have is to running.
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
      Perfect example of how drug use can screw up a great life. I hope the tween population takes a hint.
      i think i understand where you're coming from, but it's probably not that simple. i don't think anyone says, i am going to take drugs and fall into a pit of hell. i know someone close who was on drugs for years and no one knew. the ride just got too tiresome after awhile and, thankfully, they got off before things got too bad. but, we don't know -- IF IF IF IF IF -- Heath intended to commit suicide, WHY he may have. Hell. Maybe he never touched drugs before. Maybe it was an accidental overdose. Maybe, he truly felt he had no one to turn to. I don't think so much its about being famous and having all that much money, rather, i think, besides that, or when you take money/fame out of the equation, we're all pretty much the same. and what may seem a great life to those looking in from the outside may not be so to those living it. i just try never to judge. well, except "fashion" and hairstyles and a bunch of other shallow things. but i am an idiot. and human.
      gracerunner

SmileI don't feel sad. Didn't know him or his family. Did anyone here know him? Have you really spent time grieving out about this? I guess I don't understand all this weird outpouring when no one knew the guy. Which according to my famous friend, that is what drives famous people over the brink. The illusion that people think they know you, but they don't. It's all make-believe. Anyone sending a card? If you're really sad, you have to at least send a card. Smile
        freckles

SmileI don't feel sad. Didn't know him or his family. Did anyone here know him? Have you really spent time grieving out about this? I guess I don't understand all this weird outpouring when no one knew the guy. Which according to my famous friend, that is what drives famous people over the brink. The illusion that people think they know you, but they don't. It's all make-believe. Anyone sending a card? If you're really sad, you have to at least send a card. Smile
          No I'm not grieving, but I do feel sad. I never knew him but I can empathise with his family and feel sad that there is a little girl who will never know her dad. Its not a weird outpouring, thats just empathy. Same as I would feel sad for any yound dad who died. The fact that they are 'familiar' to you just makes you feel a bit sadder.

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have friends and family of friends who have had tragedies in their lives. I still feel a lot of empathy for these people, even though I've never met them and likely never will. I feel pain for the family of the Kenyan marathoner who was recently killed. I don't care if a person is a celebrity or a nobody--right now a 2 year old girl has no father. THAT is definitely something to feel sad about.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The voice of mile 18

I do feel sad that a young talented guy gets snuffed out too soon. it is a shame (as it is whenever and whereever this happens) I will not be sending a card however

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between grieving over the loss of a celebrity and feeling sad for the child he left behind him. I feel the same way whenever I hear news of someone I don't know dying and leaving behind their family. It's ok to feel empathy even when you don't the people involved personally...
                Heroes never die. They just reload.
                gracerunner

No I'm not grieving, but I do feel sad. I never knew him but I can empathise with his family and feel sad that there is a little girl who will never know her dad. Its not a weird outpouring, thats just empathy. Same as I would feel sad for any yound dad who died. The fact that they are 'familiar' to you just makes you feel a bit sadder.
                  I get that, but personally I only feel sad if it is someone I loved who has died. Someone in my life. Otherwise, I'd go around feeling sad all the time, because everyone is dying all the time, and the death of someone close would not have any more importance than an actor's I never met, or any name in the obits. Real grief is profound and undeniable and unstoppable--and absolutely tied to the level of love you allowed yourself to give to the other. For me, taking up precious time to feel sad about someone I don't know or love or have never met, would be just an act of imagination and a manufacturing of an emotion--not unlike what an actor does. There's no punch in the gut like you get when your Mom dies, or anyone you love.
                  gracerunner

I have friends and family of friends who have had tragedies in their lives. I still feel a lot of empathy for these people, even though I've never met them and likely never will. I feel pain for the family of the Kenyan marathoner who was recently killed. I don't care if a person is a celebrity or a nobody--right now a 2 year old girl has no father. THAT is definitely something to feel sad about.
                    There are 2 year olds all over the world with no father. I don't feel sad for any of them, because I don't know them. I could pick one out and choose to feel sad, but I would be manufacturing an emotion. I could spend all my time feeling bad about people I read about in the newspaper, but I would be sad all day, all the time. Now, I have a niece and nephew with an absent father--I feel sad about that. I'm not trying to troll here. I just wanted to throw my two cents in about feeling sad about celebrity deaths, or of those not in one's life. It can be a bad practice that can add to feelings of helplessness and depression. 6 billion people on earth, all are going to die. I haven't the time to care about them all. Only for my loved ones. I think this is a more interesting discussion.

Maniac

I get that, but personally I only feel sad if it is someone I loved who has died. Someone in my life.
                      Seems a bit emotionally withdrawn and shallow to me, but hey...to each their own. There is a difference between grief over loss (when you know someone who dies or suffers a tragedy) and feeling sadness due to the fact that you are human and have a soul, and thus can feel empathy for the people left behind (who are truly grieving).

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

pandajenn19

I think some people just have a greater capacity for empathy than others. It doesn't make them better or worse people, simply more or less empathetic. I'm one of those people if I see or hear of anyone who is sad, it makes me sad. If I see or hear of anyone who is happy, it makes me happy. Just as there is such a thing as being an Empath, there is the exact opposite. It's one of those very cool things about the world how we are all so different. Smile I am not grieving, per se, but I am certainly saddened by it, and all the more so when I know of other people who are saddened.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just as there is such a thing as being an Empath, there is the exact opposite. It's one of those very cool things about the world how we are all so different. Smile
                          There are commercials that make me cry. Movies can really get to me (I still get very misty towards the end of "The Sixth Sense," even though I know the "surprise"). The trailer for "The Spirit of the Marathon" had me teary and I am certain that I will need tissues in the theater. I have listened to Music that has brought me to tears, too. I guess to a bean counter like EnduranceMan that makes me a pathetic mess... Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

pandajenn19

This is a really good article about being an empath. It rang a lot of bells for me the first time I heard of such a thing.

Lazy idiot

Everybody's different in regards to something like this. I told my wife last night (she's very empathetic), and the first thing she said was about his kid(s?). Me, I'm not that broken up about it, but I don't think that makes me a bad person. And I don't think people who are empathetic are messed up, they're just different from me.

Tick tock

The voice of mile 18

I. For me, taking up precious time to feel sad about someone I don't know or love or have never met, would be just an act of imagination and a manufacturing of an emotion--not unlike what an actor does. There's no punch in the gut like you get when your Mom dies, or anyone you love.
                                I feel sad all the time. watch the news and there are tragedies every day . I feel sad about this kids death as well as when I hear about a local kid dying in iraq/afghanistan. life is precious and it's very sad to me to see people leaving the party too soon. agreed it isn't the same punch in the gut as when someone close dies but it does affect me.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy