Wow...Heath Ledger is dead (Read 895 times)

chrimbler

Just thought I would chime in...why would you feel sad for his kid, they had 2 years (?) together...hell of alot more than some kids get, also he has been immortalized in film, how many other kids that lose parents get that? I agree a lot with Enduranceman...I live for the now, don't dwell on the past and don't worry about the future, I also believe people need to accept death as part of life and celebrate the death of a friend, family member etc. I don't care one way or the other that he died, didn't know him, don't know his kid...does that make me emotionally stunted?? Also if it was drug related then he made that choice and perhaps it was better for his kid that he did die...I'm sure we've all heard about drug related spousal/family abuse!...just something to think about...
    Run like you stole it!
    gracerunner

There are commercials that make me cry. Movies can really get to me (I still get very misty towards the end of "The Sixth Sense," even though I know the "surprise"). The trailer for "The Spirit of the Marathon" had me teary and I am certain that I will need tissues in the theater. I have listened to Music that has brought me to tears, too. I guess to a bean counter like EnduranceMan that makes me a pathetic mess... Roll eyes
      Not at all. I cry in response to art. The feeling is rarely sadness though. It's usually a deep, overwhelming feeling of love and understanding of true love symbolized in the art that makes me cry. The times when it is sadness is usually when I am feeling sad to begin with due to a real loss in my life. Something in the art (movies, tv, songs, paintings, etc.) resonates and the emotion, needing to be released, moves. The first time I cried at a movie was The Wizard Of Oz when I was 7. My Grandfather had just died, and when Dorothy said "I'll miss you most of all" to the Scarecrow, I was inconsolable.
      pandajenn19

I don't care whether the person next to me has any feelings about something like this. But I do care if the person next to me tells me that I shouldn't feel bad, if they try to dictate to me that I should not have whatever feeling I have. Just like I'm sure they wouldn't care for me dictating to them how they should feel. If there is one thing that is personal in life, it's our feelings, how we each react to things as individuals. Having to justify one's feelings or lack thereof is never a pleasant position to be in. How about we just allow each other to feel what we do or don't feel about the matter and leave it at that? Smile

The voice of mile 18

I'll start a thread today before Dennis Franz dies. One of my favorite actors, and one of my wife's favorite butts. I won't be sad when he dies, as I don't know him, but I would like the chance to talk about his work, his art.
          and don't to mention his butt. on a side note I miss still Lenny Briscoe from law and order and he was neither young nor conventially handsome. but then again I also did not send a card for him either

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

chrimbler

I don't care whether the person next to me has any feelings about something like this. But I do care if the person next to me tells me that I shouldn't feel bad, if they try to dictate to me that I should not have whatever feeling I have. Just like I'm sure they wouldn't care for me dictating to them how they should feel. If there is one thing that is personal in life, it's our feelings, how we each react to things as individuals. Having to justify one's feelings or lack thereof is never a pleasant position to be in. How about we just allow each other to feel what we do or don't feel about the matter and leave it at that? Smile
            Amen to that! Big grin
            Run like you stole it!
            gracerunner

That's a discussion killer. Of course we should allow others their feelings. But the question is: is it healthy to feel sadness about every death and tragic situation you read about in the news? Surely that can be discussed. And heartily.
              pandajenn19

Ok then. Define sadness. I mirror other people's emotions, and I have to work really hard to block them out. It's part of who I am. Do I break down and weep every time I hear about a death on the news? Absolutely not. But do I have some measure of feeling that stirs within me? Yes. Every time. I generally laugh when in the presence of a laughing person, smile when I see a smiling person, get uncomfortable or angry when in the presence of an angry person, etc. None of these feelings are incapacitating however. So, if sadness is some measure of emotion, even if it be a passing feeling that has virtually no lasting impact on the feeler, then yes, I do feel sadness every single time I see or read something like this. If sadness is an emotion that prevents me from doing my day to day activities, that causes harm to me, that infringes upon my ability to enjoy my life, then no. The latter kind of sadness would be unhealthy, in my opinion.
                  I guess to a bean counter like EnduranceMan that makes me a pathetic mess... Roll eyes
                  Hey now....I know that accountants are easy targets given our sex symbol status and our jobs that require using all ten fingers but let's not over generalize. I know this is pretty difficult to imagine but doing cash flow statements, budget-to-actual P&L's, and expense analysis isn't as exciting as the media makes it out to be.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

The voice of mile 18

. But the question is: is it healthy to feel sadness about every death and tragic situation you read about in the news?
                    if you hear a sad story how is possible not to feel at least a little sad for even the briefest moment? feelings aren't good or bad it's just your emotional reaction to something

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey now....I know that accountants are easy targets given our sex symbol status and our jobs that require using all ten fingers but let's not over generalize. I know this is pretty difficult to imagine but doing cash flow statements, budget-to-actual P&L's, and expense analysis isn't as exciting as the media makes it out to be.
                      Bwaahhahahaa!!! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

if you hear a sad story how is possible not to feel at least a little sad for even the briefest moment? feelings aren't good or bad it's just your emotional reaction to something
                        I didn't know anyone who died on 9/11 or in any war/conflict. Should I not feel sad for those events?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maniac

I laughed out loud....Classic. Smile

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

My legs are killing me

My wife has the "Accountants of 08" callendar. lol That was a great post!

Now that was a bath...

SmileI don't feel sad. Didn't know him or his family. Did anyone here know him? Have you really spent time grieving out about this? I guess I don't understand all this weird outpouring when no one knew the guy. Which according to my famous friend, that is what drives famous people over the brink. The illusion that people think they know you, but they don't. It's all make-believe. Anyone sending a card? If you're really sad, you have to at least send a card. Smile
                              You make me smile. Tongue But he was hot. So I'm sad. Do you have kids? I do - it is easy to relate when you have kids and feel sad and think 'Heck, what if that were me?' Am I so sad that I wanna send a card - nah. But as a person that has given mouth to mouth to probably over twenty addicts over the years, I am still sad, and my sadness doesn't give a dogs kaboodle whether you validate it or not. Cool Modified to say : I am back on the bench for a long, long time so I don't feel like being gentle today
                            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Now that was a bath...

There are 2 year olds all over the world with no father. I don't feel sad for any of them, because I don't know them. I could pick one out and choose to feel sad, but I would be manufacturing an emotion. I could spend all my time feeling bad about people I read about in the newspaper, but I would be sad all day, all the time. Now, I have a niece and nephew with an absent father--I feel sad about that. I'm not trying to troll here. I just wanted to throw my two cents in about feeling sad about celebrity deaths, or of those not in one's life. It can be a bad practice that can add to feelings of helplessness and depression. 6 billion people on earth, all are going to die. I haven't the time to care about them all. Only for my loved ones. I think this is a more interesting discussion.
                                I am sad for you a little too.
                              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.