Talk me out of buying a Garmin Forerunner 205 (Read 1617 times)

I like being able to feel kung fu not to have to think kung fu. And I often lament that so many new runners get so into the gadgets they never learn how to "feel" the run.
    All well and good, and I agree with you. To a point. However, I find it becomes more difficult to "feel" my paces in the latter stages of a marathon. Last year, at Boston, my 201 lost signal 1 1/2 miles into the race. I was ok for the first 10-12 miles gauging my pace, and since the timer still functioned, could verify my pace at each mile check. However, the second half of the marathon was more of a challenge. At mile 18 it becomes increasingly more difficult to gauge your pace during the most recent mile. Verification after the fact didn't do me a whole lot of good. In point of fact, with the 205/305 (which has better reception), I could tell by a glance what my pace was at nearly any point on the course. Again--I do agree wtih you, and often will do my daily training runs without being tethered to my garmin. But during a race (especially longer races)? It has helped improve my times markedly. Oh--and welcome to the dark side.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
      I deserve that, especially after I heckled Scout7 for running with a HRM. I feel like such a sellout... I can't wait 'til it gets here!
      LOL, enjoy your new toy!

Jennifer mm#1231

Dog-Love

I never wanted one...now I want one. I'll wait for the 305
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          This thread has made me interested in one.... From pictures, they look pretty big and awkward. Are they heavy, big, and goofy looking in person?
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I never wanted one...now I want one. I'll wait for the 305
            Oops. Sorry. Evil grin
            From pictures, they look pretty big and awkward. Are they heavy, big, and goofy looking in person?
            No. The 205 / 305 are very natural feeling. I, on the other hand, AM big and goofy looking in person.
            Scout7

I deserve that, especially after I heckled Scout7 for running with a HRM. I feel like such a sellout... I can't wait 'til it gets here!
              HA! HA! HA!
                I wasted some money a year or so ago on a Timex Speed/Distance GPS unit that would not hold a signal on trails! I love the idea of going for a run and then seeing my course. Do these units hold a signal in tree cover? Does anyone have a heavily wooded course they could link on motion based?
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do these units hold a signal in tree cover? Does anyone have a heavily wooded course they could link on motion based?
                  Yes, very well. Check it out.
                  vicentefrijole

From pictures, they look pretty big and awkward. Are they heavy, big, and goofy looking in person?
                    I have a small wrist/small body... so when I wear it, yes, it looks big/goofy... sort of like the first calculator you ever bought (took up your whole desk and could just barely do a square root). However, it is not heavy. I think the extra volume is so they can add a little more receiver antenna, so it's mostly empty space.. at least that's what it feels like (I'm not ready to dissect mine yet). Don't let the size/weight dissuade you, unless you're afraid of other runners making fun of you (ahem!).... and if they do that, they're probably just jealous. Wink Evil grin Big grin

Prophet!

Does anybody know how waterproof this thing is ? I want to get one but will have better chance at acquiring it if i can convince the wife that its for both of us and she can use it for paddling.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Water and sweat resistant. Canoeing is fine.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Another example of good reception, this time around buildings. I went out for a random 6 mile run tonight wearing my GPS for you good folks. Here is what I got.

Prophet!

trent you should probably get some commission from RA-member purchases of the Garmin 201/205/301/305 - I am now on a mission to manipulate the wife to feel like she needs this thing.. Big grin
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

trent you should probably get some commission from RA-member purchases of the Garmin 201/205/301/305 - I am now on a mission to manipulate the wife to feel like she needs this thing.. Big grin
                              Ha!
                              mikeymike

Well my Garmin is finally on its way but I did not get it for the initially advertised price. Amazon pulled their famous bait and switch again. In the end I paid about $4 more for the product and $3 more for shipping than I thought I had on my first try. Not a big deal, but a hassle and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Amazon (again). I really need to stop buying from them. I would have gladly paid $189 and $3.99 shipping the first time to have it be on its way on Wednesday but they were advertising it for $185 and $0.99 shipping. So a couple days after I placed my order I got the email telling me my order had been cancelled because the item was out of stock, even though it had said it was in stock when I ordered. Then when I went back in and re-ordered, it got shipped from the same exact supplier it was supposed to ship from in the first place but was mysteriously out of stock for about 6 hours. A hassle, but still a good price. And there's still the rebate... Having done business with them as a vendor and as a customer, there is a lot I don't like about Amazon.

Runners run