Question.. (Read 804 times)

Double IPA Please!

heh..made you lookBig grin No, really. I was reading in another post somewhere about someone running a half and a whole in the same month. I think the consensus was that it was not reccomended. However, I am doing this very thing come May. I'm running a half in the beginning of May and a whole at the end. I want to do both (selfish, yesTongue) Is it that horrible of a thing to do? Could I run my Half hard and then just do the Whole to finish? I mean it's my very first full anyhow or vice versa? The Half is already paid for, and the Full I'm doing with my mother because I promised her I would if I did the Full with her. My log has been for shit the last month (intentional take it easy month) and I start training again officially next week. I've already done 2 half's, 2 10's, 2 5's, and a couple 5k's..Solid base for the last year +. l'd like think I can handle it, but certainly don't want to blow body up by making stupid decisions.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Go for it. Those 3+ weeks are easily enough to recover from a half. If the races were the other way around I would be more hesitant.

Double IPA Please!

Go for it. Those 3+ weeks are easily enough to recover from a half. If the races were the other way around I would be more hesitant.
        Can I run the half hard? Or just use it as a another training run?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

My legs are killing me

I ran the Hartford 1/2 marathon 3 weeks prior to running the NYC marathon and I thought it was a great confidence builder. I ran well and had a good 1/2 time for me. I felt like it was a good tempo run for the marathon. I say go for it.
          Purdey

Self anointed title

Can I run the half hard? Or just use it as a another training run?
            Depends which race is more important to you / which is your goal race. If you are happy just to get around the marathon then race the 1/2 all out. However, if you do race it all out, be prepared to be a bit below par in the marathon. If you really want to run a good time in the marathon then I would recommend taking the 1/2 fairly steady, perhaps with about 8 - 10 miles at marathon pace, something like that.

Double IPA Please!

I'd like to run the half hard. The full is my first- Im running it to just finish. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I will even like doing a full..the experience.. blah blah blahBig grin Thanks!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Of course you can do it.
                  I'll be doing the same thing; Providence 1/2 marathon on May 3 and the Vermont City Marathon on the 24th. I figure that the three weeks in between are taper weeks, so we'll have recovery built in and get a good sense of how well we are trained at the same time. I've never actually tried this before though, so hopefully, for both of us, it is a workable plan.

-------------------------------------
                  5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                  10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                  1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                  Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

That was me asking about running a 1/2 then a full ... I only have 2 weeks between ... probably not sufficient to recover from the 1/2. [3-4 weeks in between appears to be optimal for recovery.] So I am bagging the 1/2. Knock 'em dead!

2012= under-goaled

Prince of Fatness

I'd like to run the half hard. The full is my first- Im running it to just finish.
                      I think you are answering your own question here. If you really want to race the half chances are you'll have a hard time holding back anyway, so you might as well go for it. By the way I ran that same 5 mile race as you did in December ..... nice job.

Not at it at all. 

Double IPA Please!

I think you are answering your own question here. If you really want to race the half chances are you'll have a hard time holding back anyway, so you might as well go for it. By the way I ran that same 5 mile race as you did in December ..... nice job.
                        You did? I wish I knew! I could have introduced myself and the Mister. I was sick that race as well..some stomach crap.

Prince of Fatness

You did? I wish I knew! I could have introduced myself and the Mister.
                          Yeah, my wife came with me, but I didn't know anyone from here was running it. I saw the 5 mile race in your log and checked it out. If you are running the half that I think you are we'll get our chance to meet.

Not at it at all. 

With three weeks between them, I say no problem racing the half hard and running the marathon just to finish...unless you are one of those people that are slow to recover from hard efforts. I can tell you what not to do. Don't run a half one weekend followed by a full the next. I did that in December and I don't recommend it. My plan was to run the half easy and just have fun, but I got caught up in the atmosphere and ran it faster than I should have. Add that to less than ideal marathon conditions the following weekend and it was a recipe for a horrible marathon experience. Marathons are tough enough, but they are especially tough when you are stupid.
                              Hey! No more knee issue? Looks like you're now running freely; glad to see that. In 1977, Henry Rono set 4 world records (5000m, 3000m, 3000m Steeplechase, 10000m) in 80+ days. In 1978, Sebastian Coe set 3 world record (800m, mile, 1500m) in a month or something like that. Most people just go "Wow!" to that (well, it is but...). But the fact is; when they are in such a super shape, their recovery rate is so great that they can come back and run hard/fast very quickly. I know these guys are eltes of elites but, really, it's the same thing; you train to prepare for the half or the full; you'll be very fit...and this means your recovery rate is very good. The point is; as it seems some other people have sort of pointed out, RECOVERY between races. So you'll run the half first and it looks like you'll try to run it hard. Make sure you rest well afterwards. Once you get it up to the level you can run the half hard (at one's level); your fitness level is good. Whether it's 2 weeks or 3, make sure you don't do anything very hard like some repeats or hard tempo runs; or another long run "just to make sure you still have it". You won't lose your good fitness so quickly AS LONG AS you continue to do something. I'd suggest you do some easy half an hour jog 3~4 times following the half then MAYBE try to get it up to an hour or so over the weekend--nothing fast or hard; just easy loosening up jog. MAYBE on the second weekend, you may want to try to get it up to close to 1:30 depending on how you feel but then the next weekend is the week before the marason so you should take it easy anyways. ALWAYS listen to your body; how your legs are feeling--particularly if you race long (like the half), your quads would take lots of beatings so "talk to your quads". Many people, particularly, it seems, beginning runners and many recreational joggers today, misunderstand the value of easy jogging. Many think "recovery" means no running. I feel far too many people today like to prepare for running by not running. The fact is; easy jogging would enhance recovery even more because it increases blood flow and it also warms up the "damaged" area. So don't be afraid to go for an easy jog but just don't overdo it. And nothing high stress/quality in between! Good luck and have fun in the marathon. Mother and daughter running the marathon together... That is just GREAT!!! A buddy of mine just ran a marathon with his daughter (her first). He said that was an experience he'll never forget. Good luck!

Double IPA Please!

Hey Nobby! So nice to *hear* from you again!! Yes, the knees have been treating me fairly well as long as I respect them..Wink As always I value your opinion! Yes, my mom and I have run almost all my races together except for 2 of them. She has run a handful of Marathons before so it will be nice to have her there for my first. Thanks!!