6 wks out to my first 1/2 (Read 401 times)

Doug Little

A little background: 5 years ago 327 Lbs and worked up a major sweat thinking about jogging, let alone running Today: 180 lbs, run 25-30 miles per week. Have done some 5k's and usually place in top 3. 58 years old. On Thanksgiving day, I feel off a step stool, ( Bah Humbug) while putting up Holiday decorations and really twisted an ankle. Thus the reason for no activity in December. My first 1/2 Marathon is in 6 wks. As you can see from the log, my miles are there. MY goal is under 2 hrs, which I think is achievable. Thoughts for the next few weeks? Thanks Doug

an amazing likeness

Compared to what you've already accomplished, running a half marathon is just (low cal) icing on the cake. You know the drill, log the miles in the next 6 weeks, toe the start line on race day and you'll do great. I'd suggest you keep logging the long runs most weeks, like you're doing and maybe do a few up in the 13 - 15 mile range to get comfy with the distance, then just transition to some speed workouts every now during the week.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

Doug, You should not have an issue breaking 2 hours based on your 5K race time but it is nice to have a conservative goal for your first half. Keep the miles consistent. You don't need to run any longer than a 11-12 mile long run on your miles per week. What I would suggest is a mid week longer run of 7-8 miles where you include some 3-4X1 mile at goal pace with 2 min recoveries. Work up to this over next couple weeks. Then do 3-6 X 20-30 sec. fast striders with full recovery. You can also finish a bit stronger on your long run over last mile or two to give you confidence on tired legs. Only do this if feeling good on your long run. All other days should be easy running. Don't overtaper. Last week cut out intensity and only reduce miles over last 3-5 days. Last long run should be 9-12 days before race. On race day do a short warm up and use first mile as part of your warm up. This will prevent you from starting to aggressive which will make your race miserable. Good luck, you will do great.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

I have nothing to add that other than what the previous posters said, just wanted to say WOW to what you've already accomplished. Very inspirational. Congrats and enjoy your first half marathon.

Runners run

I just wanted to say GREAT job!