Stevie Ray and the Adventures with Horse Poop, Turkeys, and Tobias (Read 733 times)

xor

George Costanza had "the summer of George". So far, I've had the winter of Tobias. That's my dog. Here is a recap of my races and real-life fun during January. It may surprise you to learn... or you may not, in fact, care at all... that I ran absolutely no marathons during January. I did, however: 1. Run a ridiculously challenging 10 mile technical trail run at night (RA Franc in the Masters' group ran the full 50k) through horse poop. 2. Run a half marathon through fog where I either did or did not see domesticated wild turkeys. 3. Run a two lap "race" (more of a jog) around a lake without ever actually seeing the lake. 4. Keep my dog from eating progressively larger fabric covered items. He has successfully eaten bits of towels, t-shirts, and blankets in the past. He once ate a six foot leash. He ate part of his post-surgery cone. But it could have been worse! Ok then.

Glad you're back at it. Great January race reports. So glad to see that your doggie is doing better. Smile
        Man--I love weiner dogs! We have a black and tan.
        xor

Man--I love weiner dogs! We have a black and tan.
          There are a couple more pictures in the link. The "floating head" one is kind of creepy, but I like it.

I've met Jennifer but never Tobias. My loss. I think. Smile
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2. Run a half marathon through fog where I either did or did not see domesticated wild turkeys.
              Zombie turkeys. They seem benign, then they attack and peck through your skull to get BRAINS!!! Dead I'm so glad Tobias is doing better. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My sister and her boyfriend have a wiener dog. We got him a shirt for Christmas last year that said "I Heart My Wiener" My sister got him a bumper sticker that said 'If you can see my wiener, your too close" I crack up every time I see him in the shirt and the bumper sticker ah, good times

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

runlouierun

I was wondering what you had been up too! I did the 5miler at bridal trails - my first trail race - and absolutely loved it! Glad to hear Tobias is on the improve - I hope it isn't something that he'll manage to injure again.
                    is the interesting shave job on his back due to surgery of some sort? (sorry, i haven't been paying attention) Tongue
                    xor

is the interesting shave job on his back due to surgery of some sort? (sorry, i haven't been paying attention) Tongue
                      Yes, he ruptured a disk and the sploogey material was pressing against his spine, paralyzing his hind quarters. So they opened him and sucked out the splooge.

wow - that was quite...graphic. Splooge indeed. Well, glad he's feeling better. Looks quite perky.

Gotta TRI

Wow, floating head pic is definatly creepy.
                          2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                            1. Run a ridiculously challenging 10 mile technical trail run at night (RA Franc in the Masters' group ran the full 50k) through horse poop.
                            I too had the pleasure of taking part in this poopy run. Good times. I saw you were doing the Yakima marathon. Any tips for an amatuer? I hear it's a hilly one. I am planning on doing it this year (will be my 2nd marathon).

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

Yakima is an interesting course. It's also pretty... in a desert sort of way. No trees. Anyway, Yakima is basically a downhill course. Don't get excited by that... a ton of downhill is hurty. BUT, except for the last couple miles, the downhill at Yakima is not steep. Along the way, you'll encounter 3 uphills: baby bear in the early miles, mama bear in the middle miles, and then papa bear in the mid-20s. Yes, the worst hill is right where you don't want it. THEN, there's the screaming downhill to the end. The road is slanty (cambered) in places, especially in the second half. Consciously look for the flattest part of the road, or your knees will hate you by the end. The aid stations are located at reasonable intervals. There's no car traffic to deal with on the course. Not much food at the end. You will see approximately 10,000 people clad in the yellows, reds, and blacks of the Marathon Maniacs. It is our reunion race this year. Here is my report for the 2008 edition of the race. I had a horrible day because I was very sick, but it'll give you a better idea of the course. Over there is my 2007 report. Have fun. BTW, I probably will NOT be in pink at Yakima. I'll be the guy in the red shirt that says "for Jack Swanson" unless Jack's widow doesn't want me to do that.

Thank you! That's very helpful! Are you serious about 10,000? Or were you rounding up? Smile I was raised in Cle Elum and spent a lot of time between there and Yakima, so I am looking forward to running near home. I'll look for the red jersey!

~Sara
                                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan