Why do I always bonk between miles 12 and 14? (Read 2030 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Inertia is correct IF you start your run with a good full store of glycogen. Most of us do not have that from day to day. But again, folks, NO AMOUNT OF GU will get you through a long run if you don't have a base. To run 13 miles comfortably, you need to be running at least 25 miles per week consistently for months. Or longer.
    JakeKnight

But again, folks, NO AMOUNT OF GU will get you through a long run if you don't have a base.
      I don't know. Have you had the Tri-Berry Gu? With caffeine? I'm pretty sure I could leap tall buildings in a single bound after enough of those puppies.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Scout7

I don't know. Have you had the Tri-Berry Gu? With caffeine? I'm pretty sure I could leap tall buildings in a single bound after enough of those puppies.
        Maybe beer-flavored gu. That might work for me. Guinness Gu.
          You are not going to like this, but you bonk because you are running to fast. Drop the intervals and slow down. Just keep running slowly, it will come to you. It's an easy fix, but no one likes to hear it.
          I agree with Willa here. I'd also like to know if your "bonk" is a mental one or a physical one. You didn't mention your hydration and refueling strategies that you use for long runs. This makes a huge impact. Edited: I didn't read the other posts before I replied but I agree. You MUST run more consistently! I wasn't doing high mileage before my marathon (I didn't log it on here before January 1 so it doesn't show my history) but I was consistent in getting my weekly runs in and it saved my butt on race day big time. BTW- which race did u do on the 13?
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
            Guinness Gu.
            Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... Cool
            "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
              By the way 'bonk' has a different meaning over here in the UK!!! Wink
                Question: Is glycogen depletion dependent on distance run or the time spent running? Seems like there should be a difference between a speedy elite runner and those of us at the back of the pack. Wink If the OP is bonking at about mile 13 and that would be after she's been running for 3+ hours, I still think nutrition and hydration could be playing a part. Pfitzinger says that it plays a role in any race lasting over an hour and a half. Teresa
                  So it might be a good thing between mile 12 and 14.
                  "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                    I got a similar lesson in the Queen's English when an attractive young lady came to the front desk and asked if I would "knock her up at 6 o'clock", turned and walked away. I was very flattered, and since we always tried to honor guest requests... I didn't notice my coworker was taking a full backswing, she landed a good kick to my shin and said "she wants a wakeup call you pig". Evil grin We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

JakeKnight

Question: Is glycogen depletion dependent on distance run or the time spent running? Teresa
                      Somewhere around here there's an old thread that goes on for many pages on that very topic. Full of lots of good stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Somewhere around here there's an old thread that goes on for many pages on that very topic. Full of lots of good stuff.
                        Ask and ye shall receive. And again folks, NO. The problem in this case is NOT LIKELY glycogen, but rather an overall lack of base. No amount of any Gu other than Guiness Gu will solve this problem. Miles will.
                          Ask and ye shall receive. And again folks, NO. The problem in this case is NOT LIKELY glycogen, but rather an overall lack of base. No amount of any Gu other than Guiness Gu will solve this problem. Miles will.
                          Liar. Guiness Gu will solve any problem.
                          2009: BQ?

undue monkey

So it might be a good thing between mile 12 and 14.
                            Some also say it was instrumental in Bob Beamon's WR
                            kcam

Just to re-iterate what others have said - you bonk at that point because you're training has not prepared you to run past 13 miles. Run more easy miles, run (almost) every day - if you can't fit this into your life presently you may be better off scaling back to 5 and 10K's until you can put in the required training for a 13 or 26 mile race. Good luck.

Renee the dog

Mel, Just wanted to wave and say HI! Knew you from other boards for other interests...I'm simply nono there. Good luck squeezing more running into your schedule!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!