Group Running (Read 993 times)

Hoping to Run Again :-(

How do all ya'll singlets do it?
    In my case it's all I've ever known. I started running as a gym rat 11 years ago after my Dad passed away to ease my pain and running is still my solitude. I actually would love to find a running partner, but recently moved to a tiny rural area where I'm the only runner I've ever seen on the roads. Big grin Running stores and large organized groups don't exist here. I'm sure I'd be faster and know I'd enjoy the socializing aspect, but for now I'm happy keeping running my little "secret" obsession.
    ~ Fly ~
    Only as much as I dream can I be.
    veggies on the run
      runandsmile920- I also wonder how people who train alone all the time do it.
      You have to be either a daydreamer or a deep thinker. I guess MP3 players are good for those that just like listening to music. I'm a Daydreamer, many times I just zone out.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

A group run is what you make it. I run with two groups, one at work and one from a local running store. I'm the fastest runner in both, which isn't saying much. I state my goals and desired pace/distance for the run before hand. Sometimes I'll use those runs for recovery. Other times I'll drag a couple of guys out at my easy pace - they like that they get a good workout. We chat we run. If no one is willing, and I need to go faster than the group, I run alone. No big deal.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

You have to be either a daydreamer or a deep thinker. .
          why? most of my runs I am attempting not to think... sometimes I concentrate on the actual act of running... like my breathing... my pace... I'll focus on the cadence of my foot strikes. Often times I will observe my peripheral vision and enjoy the feeling of moving through space. But I try not quite the mental conversation with myself and just be quiet. I think being in the moment and not thinking of someplace else or pondering deep thoughts is what I enjoy. Fully experiencing running. If you are wishing it was over the whole time you are doing it... then why would you do it in the first place? It is the same reason I disdain the idea of motivation through things like "just get to the next corner" type stuff... it is in direct oposiiton with the present. ... oh and I ran 9.5 with company and finished off with another 2.5 by myself.
            why? If you are wishing it was over the whole time you are doing it... then why would you do it in the first place?
            I run for the benefit of health, the sense of accomplishment, the solitude, so I can daydream. Blocking out the family while at home, just wouldn't be a good idea Wink

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

How do I a single do it... With HRM. Many hate it, but I love it. It tells me when to push and when to back off. I do not use alarm, instead I check it often enough to see if changes happen. It has also teach me different running techniques to maximize the speed in certain HR and road condition. Experimentation is what I personally like and HRM is a perfect tool for that. I dislike to run in a group because you do not necessarily listen your body, how it communicate with you. Instead you easily push yourself too much and might even cause short term harm. But, if you like the group feeling, please, use it for a benefit.
              Rundadrun27

With 2 children in the house, I don't get very much time by myself. My workouts are almost the only time I get to be by myself. They help me to unwind and relieve stress. I have more freedom working out alone. I can do as much as I want, at the pace that I want. I'm not saying that I wouldn't welcome the company, but I prefer to be alone.
                dfffff

That's why I prefer to run alone. If you run with someone, you never run at your true pace. Either you're forced to run to slowly, or too fast, just to keep the company. This may be a good as a social bonding experience, but not as far as your training goes.
                  Yeah... that's not universally applicable.
                  stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I ran with a group for the first time today. There were 4 of us, 2 ran ahead at a fast pace and the other woman and I ran around a 9:50 pace. I usually run at a 10:40 pace, but this ran was fantastic. I wasn't tired or dying during the run. We chatted almost the whole time and the run went by really fast. I plan on running with them once a week. I enjoyed it. The rest of my runs will be spent alone. LOL

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

I tried running with a local group a couple of times (especially hoping for company at night in the winter) but both times everyone ran alot faster than me so I ended up alone or guilty about slowing everyone down. I don't need any encouragement for my running - I love it so much. I also enjoy going out on my own schedule. The group goes out Sunday mornings at 8:30 and I'm too lazy to get out of bed at that time. Big grin I don't find it boring or lonely. I think about my pace, how I feel, listen to the tunes, look at the scenery, etc... they go by so fast! But I'm thinking of trying it again - maybe I'm faster now. Roll eyes

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I HATE running with a group for two reasons: I either slow down to run at their pace, which hurts me all over or I force them to slow down because they are faster than me, and this makes me feel bad that they are hanging back to run with me. Being in the Military we do formation runs and if I run with the group without fail one of my feet will fall asleep so what I do is volunteer to be a road guard and then I can run at my own pace. As far as running alone it is my stress reliever. Most of my runs are done in the morning when I get home from working all night and it helps me wind down
                        2009 Goals...:
                        -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon
                        milkbaby

I usually run with a group twice a week, both times mostly to slow down and run easy. On the weekend run, we usually go out to breakfast afterwards, so for me, the socializing is the biggest reason to get out of bed that early to run on the weekend! Since I am usually one of the fastest runners on our weekend run, one thing I like to do is try to spend a little time during the run with runners of all abilities. So part of the run I'll hang with the leaders, part of the run I'll chill in the middle, and part of the run I hang out as the caboose. It is fun and mixes up my running for the day. However, all my "serious" runs like marathon pace runs and long runs are done solo.
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                            why? most of my runs I am attempting not to think... sometimes I concentrate on the actual act of running... like my breathing... my pace... I'll focus on the cadence of my foot strikes. Often times I will observe my peripheral vision and enjoy the feeling of moving through space. But I try not quite the mental conversation with myself and just be quiet. I think being in the moment and not thinking of someplace else or pondering deep thoughts is what I enjoy. Fully experiencing running. If you are wishing it was over the whole time you are doing it... then why would you do it in the first place? It is the same reason I disdain the idea of motivation through things like "just get to the next corner" type stuff... it is in direct oposiiton with the present. ... oh and I ran 9.5 with company and finished off with another 2.5 by myself.
                            exactly ... I call it "zen running" ... stay in the moment, push when you're feeling good, ease up when it's hard. Amazingly by letting the run happen I usually end up running better than when I'm thinking too much. However, I do run with a group occasionally when it fits with kids soccer, baseball, basketball, etc. games and practices which is nice for a change of pace (no pun intended). And of course, there are the hard work days (tempos or intervals) where being able to stay in the moment and not worry about how much farther or how much longer is a definite advantage.
                              I love to be alone and I don't get bored with my own company. At home, I need to be attentive to other peoples needs and normally have a to-do list as long as my arm. For me, 45 min. to an hour by myself is golden. No interruptions, no phone ringing...just me thinking whatever I feel like thinking.....bliss....
                                Amazingly by letting the run happen I usually end up running better than when I'm thinking too much.
                                Exactly Wink Big grin