Pace and the 405 (Read 911 times)

The Greatest of All Time

I don't know if I am the last one to know about this but I thought I would pass this along in case I am not. If you have a 405 you know that if you set a data field to Pace it's pretty useless. Mine drifts constantly +/- 2 min per mile of actual pace. Useless. I read this tip on some other board that I cannot remember. There is a way to get a very accurate reading of your current running pace that does not wander but stays very locked in. If you want to know the average pace for your entire run in real time use Pace-Avg. That's nice for longer runs. But if you want to know your exact pace as your running here is what you need to do. Set the auto lap for 1 mile and set a data field to Pace-Lap. I have my first screen set up to display both so I know my overall average pace for the entire run as well as my current pace. It works beautifully.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can do this with the 205/305, as well. The fields I have on my primary screen are run time, distance, lap pace. I used to do current pace, but it drove me buggy the way it jumped all over the place.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

You can do this with the 205/305, as well. The fields I have on my primary screen are run time, distance, lap pace. I used to do current pace, but it drove me buggy the way it jumped all over the place.
        I figured it would be applicable to the 205/305. There should have been something in the user's manual or even on their damn website explaining this.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I figured it would be applicable to the 205/305. There should have been something in the user's manual or even on their damn website explaining this.
          Yeah, the manual is kinda incomplete. I have learned more of the ins-and-outs of the thing here.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Chair Warmer

I think the "current pace" feature is a frustration for every new Garmin owner until they figure out that using "lap pace" is the best way to go. I know I had to come to this board to get advise on the current pace/lap pace function when I first used my 305.
              Can someone give a brief explanation of how to switch to "lap-pace"?

Best Present Ever

I love y'all! I did quickly figure out that the current pace on my 205 didn't give me a lot of information unless I looked at it every few seconds, and just waited for the auto-lap to give me my mile pace. (Though I do tend to believe the really fast paces while discounting the slower ones -- at the same time I'm telling myself I'm ridiculous!) Now I want to leave work, go home, fiddle with the settings and go for a run ....

an amazing likeness

Can someone give a brief explanation of how to switch to "lap-pace"?
                  abusa, 1) you want to turn on the "auto lap" feature; 2) then change one of your displays to show "pace, current lap" Let me know if you need exact information on the settings.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Menace to Sobriety

Not familiar with the 205 or 405, but I have a 201. It has a "smoothing" control that is user adjustable that seems to make the current pace reading a little more stable. It still jumps around some, but does seem to be usable.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

The Greatest of All Time

I love y'all! I did quickly figure out that the current pace on my 205 didn't give me a lot of information unless I looked at it every few seconds, and just waited for the auto-lap to give me my mile pace. (Though I do tend to believe the really fast paces while discounting the slower ones -- at the same time I'm telling myself I'm ridiculous!) Now I want to leave work, go home, fiddle with the settings and go for a run ....
                      I hope that got you sorted out. I feel so stupid that it took me months to figure this out. Shocked

Best Present Ever

I hope that got you sorted out. I feel so stupid that it took me months to figure this out. Shocked
                        It did in fact! I ran this morning with the lap-pace on and it was much more helpful than the plain 'lap' pace. Though it does make me giggle that when I'd look at my garmin and see 7:00 as my pace I'd think "damn I'm getting faster!" and when I'd see 11:00 I'd think "what's wrong with this stupid thing?"
                          A feature worse than current pace is current grade. Completely useless running uphill and it'll show -3% then jump to 25% and back to something like -10%, all on the same incline. However when viewing the info at the end of the run the graph shows the change in elevation extremely accurately.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius