How many miles on bike = miles on road? (Read 1932 times)

xor

Hey, it's not that those bike miles are wrong or bad!

My answer is just about equality.  It no worky that way.

Good luck.  Getting healthy trumps other things.

A Saucy Wench

Just do whatever you can.  It's not a total waste and its not a total equivalency.  But it will make the rebound faster. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

But a mile is always a mile long.

Runners run

Which weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?

Not enough information provided.  Where are the bricks?  Where are the feathers?

L Train

Unless you are moving at the speed of light, in which case I understand all sorts of weird things happen. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Based on what time it takes me (and I am a universal measurement), it is a four to one ratio.  Four miles on a bike equals one mile of running.  

You're welcome.  Big grin

I figure 4-1 based upon what each sport takes out of me.  I'd always heard the 3/1 ratio because of the calorie burn thing, but in terms of actual exertion I think that 4:1 ratio is a lot more accurate.  YMMV, of course.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

This makes me wonder what's the ratio for trail running vs. road running?

How about the ratio for single track trail running vs. single track mountain biking? Mountain biking vs. biking?

L'Alpe d'Huez is 14 km long. Is the ratio for that reversed? Afterall, it took Lace over 37 minutes on his quickest ascent to go just 14K.

Not if you're talking a mile high......thats a whole different club

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xor

And a manwich is a meal.

docAwesome

I am healing (hopefully) from a Google-diagnosed metatarsal stress fracture and I have a stationary bike in my condo to use in the meantime.  If I was running 25 miles a week before, how many miles should I cycle? 50? And do I have to maintain my heart rate (average was about 141 when running) while cycling?  I have been doing a pre-programmed "random hills" program on the cycle but having trouble getting my heart rate up that high.  I don't have the strength in my legs to push up the resistance yet.  

Oh, and I will be getting a proper diagnosis hopefully on Friday when I see a sports doc. Smile

well lady, your first problem is that you used a search engine to diagnose an injury in your foot.

well lady, your first problem is that you used a search engine to diagnose an injury in your foot.

It has to be right, it was on a doctor's site:  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/85746-overview    

Clown

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Think Whirled Peas

If they were shorter than a mile i'd be able to run a lot farther...

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

mikeymike

Q!!!

Runners run

If they were shorter than a mile i'd be able to run a lot farther...

and faster

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xor

2Q