Why should I race? (Read 284 times)

spinach

But it sounds like I would have some fun with it.

But be careful, it can get addictive.  When I resumed running after a long break after college due to bad knees, I really didn't have any desire to race.  But there was a small 5k for the fourth of July in the town that I work and so I decided to enter it.  It was fun and now I have run at least one race every month for the last 146 months.  I can get addictive.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I love to run and like to race, too. The reasons I like racing are:

1. It gives me motivation and helps me plan my running. Sure, I enjoy just getting up every day and running some distance, but I prefer to map out a training plan that will help me improve and that varies the type of running I need to do. It gives me direction and a reason not to take the day off when it is 10 degrees and snowing outside.

2. I like spending some time with other runners in my community who are out to support a cause and have a good time. I don't have a lot of friends who run so it's fun just to be surrounded by other runners for a fun time.

3. You get to do run some amazing routes. It's great to just go out and run without having to stop for lights, worry about traffic, and there are water stops all along the way if you need them! I love running the Philadelphia marathon, the NYC marathon and half marathon just to be able to run through the streets of these cities. Heck, in the NYC half marathon, you get to run through the middle of Time Square! Of course, you don't have to run a race to find nice scenery, but there are some amazing race venues out there.

4. It's fun to be part of something big. At the start of the NYC marathon last year, I was surrounded by runners from all over the world. 99% of the runners had no thought of winning, but were there for the experience. It was an amazing, joyful day. I could never experience that kind of thrill on any of my solo runs.

5. I like to push myself from time to time. In a race, I race against myself and see how fast I can go. I think I push myself harder than on training runs and I think it helps my running in general.

I would definitely run even if I didn't race, but I like to add races to the mix just to vary my running experience.

This is me, too.  I love running, interspersed with races in which I really let loose and see what I can do.  It's really nice to have a measured, timed course where you don't have to worry about car traffic.  I have zero chance of winning, so it's really a matter of competing with just myself, or perhaps with my age group.  It's kind of like the difference between throwing a ball around vs. actually playing a game.

Mmmmm...beer

Anyone else run for just the pure enjoyment and don't enter races?  Should I enter one?

Probably wouldn't hurt to try it, just to see if you like it.  If it's not for you, then there's nothing wrong with just running for the sake of running.  My MIL runs 40-50mpw, and at 64 years old would probably own her AG for just about any race she entered, but has never run a race and has no desire to, she just likes to stay fit.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Holy moly, I think your MIL is my hero, that's awesome!  I hope I am still going that strong at that age...

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

But be careful, it can get addictive.  When I resumed running after a long break after college due to bad knees, I really didn't have any desire to race.  But there was a small 5k for the fourth of July in the town that I work and so I decided to enter it.  It was fun and now I have run at least one race every month for the last 146 months.  I can get addictive.

146 months of at least 1 race/month?  wow that is very impressive & yes maybe abit addictive.

Cyberic

I race once in a while. Don’t hate it but don’t like it that much either. Since I spend a lot of time running, the occasionnal race gives me an official assessment of my fitness level. In my case, races are painful. Why enter a race if I’m not going to actually race it and give it all I’ve got? I couldn’t race every other week. It takes too much out of me.

With the race result in hand, I might change my run paces, and set new objectives.

I’ve only run 3 races : An ‘Energizer Night Race’ 10k, a ‘Rock’n Roll Event’ 21k, and a small local charity YMCA 10k. I prefered the small race. I actually enjoyed that one. But even if I liked it to some extent, it was still very hard and it doesn’t change my mind about racing often.

Why should you be racing? Maybe if you want to give all you’ve got… a race is a darn good time to do it. I think you should be racing if you feel like racing.

AutBatgirl

I've been running now for 4-5 years and absolutely love it.  I started off to lose weight, got addicted and now thoroughly love running.  I do it for my own reasons, mainly for exercise, but my running time is my thinking time, my relaxation time, just my time to get out and enjoy quiet time just for me.  I think if I did not run, I would literally go insane.

So, I get asked all the time - do you compete?

And I never have.  Not one race, not even a 5-K.  I could do a half easy because I run one every weekend.  But I have never entered a race because it's not why I run.  I run for my own peace of mind and I figure if I enter a race, I will go overboard training and maybe even begin to hate running...so I don't do it.

Anyone else run for just the pure enjoyment and don't enter races?  Should I enter one?

I've also never raced, and I do catch a bit of hell for it. In order for me race well, I would need to dedicate time to running that I currently don't, and I do a lot of other things that currently take up that time. Since I don't like to do things half-way, I've never been inclined to participate in a race that I wasn't ready for.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

BeeRunB

What does "pure" enjoyment mean?

Are there differences in enjoyment?

Some impure (i.e. I race for the impure enjoyment.)? Some pure?

I ask because I race for enjoyment, I enjoy competing, being around people, and realizing potential.

I also enjoy training, which is running with the purpose to do the above (for being around people, I rehearse scenarios).

and I also just like the feeling of running (pure?).

So, ask yourself "is there a chance i might enjoy a race?" If so, the least that will happen is that you realize you don't enjoy it. Then you never do it again. If you enjoy it, and it passes your "pure" test, then....

Joann Y

I can't say why you should race but I can say why I race. I race because I love it. I would still run if I couldn't race, but I would miss racing terribly.

I love the camaraderie, I love struggle, I love the adrenaline high, I love the pain, I love the joy, I love the taste of copper in my mouth. I love going toe-to-toe with my friends/rivals over some distance--trying to kill each other--then laughing over a beer. I love the giddy anticipation, the nervous energy, the electricity in the air. I love big races with tons of hoopla and little races with a starting line made of a crack in the road and someone to yell, "Go!" I love the moment of total clarity that comes once in a while, but not always.

I hate it but I love it.

I love that you can never quite remember how hard racing is, until you're in that moment again in the thick of it and you say, "Jesus this is really, really hard." I love the feeling of having somehow cheated death ... or maybe just just stolen some more life. I love the utter simplicity, yet the depth of the experience.

In ways that I can't even come close to explaining, I just really love to race.

This is really great. Thanks.

I've been running now for 4-5 years and absolutely love it.  I started off to lose weight, got addicted and now thoroughly love running.  I do it for my own reasons, mainly for exercise, but my running time is my thinking time, my relaxation time, just my time to get out and enjoy quiet time just for me.  I think if I did not run, I would literally go insane.

So, I get asked all the time - do you compete?

And I never have.  Not one race, not even a 5-K.  I could do a half easy because I run one every weekend.  But I have never entered a race because it's not why I run.  I run for my own peace of mind and I figure if I enter a race, I will go overboard training and maybe even begin to hate running...so I don't do it.

Sounds like you have it figured out, and don't have any need to run a race.

I race because I really enjoy the competition itself, especially being right there battling it out with someone with 800 to go. It's the most intense, visceral test for me. And I love the training (though maybe not during the 3rd mile of a 4xMile @ 5k), whether it be 800 repeats, tempos, easy runs, etc. I personally don't think I could ever hate running, but that happens to be me. 

If that isn't your schtick, or you know you would go overboard, then like I said earlier I don't see any reason why you would need to race.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

After all the great responses on here, I have decided to give it a shot because heck you only live once and I am not the type to ever want to look back and say "what if..."  I am going to enter and train for a race.  Not sure where, where or the distance, but going to do it to see what its like.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

#artbydmcbride

You will definitely go overboard with your training and start to hate running!  Don't race!  Not even a 5K, it is the gateway drug...the beginning of the end!!  Don't do it!  Do Not Do It!!

Runners run

Mmmmm...beer

Holy moly, I think your MIL is my hero, that's awesome!  I hope I am still going that strong at that age...

You and me both! She's a machine.  She also hold two black belts, one on Taekwondo and the other in Shotokan Karate.  That woman does more before 8am than most people do all day! lol

-Dave

My running blog

Mmmmm...beer

You will definitely go overboard with your training and start to hate running!  Don't race!  Not even a 5K, it is the gateway drug...the beginning of the end!!  Don't do it!  Do Not Do It!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-NwHNHNXsg0

-Dave

My running blog

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have not ran a race since 2007.

I have only been running 15-20 miles a week.

I plan on getting up to 30-40 miles a week but have no plan on racing.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes