Marathon day breakfast.....what and when? (Read 141 times)

Just curious what you eat for breakfast prior to a marathon - and how many hours prior to the start.

Ready, go.

BeeRunB

Everyone's different on this one. I prefer to run on an empty stomach. So I don't eat closer than 3-4 hours before any race. Back in the beginning, I experimented with eating close---mostly carbs, and I ended up getting cramps. For all my later marathons, I would get up 4 hours earlier, eat  about 400 calories, balanced, and go back to sleep. Then get up and go race. I don't take any calories until I'm about 40 minutes in.

HermosaBoy

Brown Sugar Pop Tarts about 90 minutes to 2 hours before the race...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mmmmm...beer

I did the same thing that I do for my long runs, oatmeal and a banana about two hours prior.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

#artbydmcbride

21 dry roasted almonds...2 hours before.  Lots and lots of coffee

Runners run

joescott

3 hours before the gun:  200-300 calories of whatever you normally might eat that is easy to digest.  Maybe a little top off snack at a 1-2 hours before the start.  Don't over-hydrate so you have to pee the whole way.

I've set my alarm for 4 AM for a 7 AM start, eaten and then gone back to bed for another hour or so.

This system seems to work well for me.  Oh, and amen to the coffee, at least after you are up for the day -- if nothing else you gotta get all systems "moving."

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

NHLA

Southwestern scone with ham and eggs on top two hours before.

xhristopher

Breakfeast burritto with lots of peppers and hot sauce. I chase it down with a Corona.

Marathon Martini: Two Immodium with just the slightest hint of vermouth.

#artbydmcbride

Breakfeast burritto with lots of peppers and hot sauce. I chase it down with a Corona.

Runners run

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

3 hours prior or nothing at all.

I eat my normal breakfast; the only difference is, I do it before running instead of after.

If I can get it: eggs, meat, veggies

If I can't: smoothie with whey, coconut milk, avocado, raw cocoa powder, sea salt (and, if possible, raw pastured egg yolks and/or a soft-boiled egg)

Do they allow George Foreman grills on the bus to Hopkinton?

Liz

pace sera, sera

Strict WTF adherent

Four hours prior:

-banana

-oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter and some brown sugar

-bottle of gatorade

-cup of coffee

One hour prior:

-three immodiums and a sip of water

-a small breakfast bar or something portable like that

After:

-all the beer

My first marathon I had a couple eggs and some toast a couple hrs before. I ran out of energy pretty early. The next two I ate a couple eggs, meat and toast/breakfast potatoes and felt much better. Meanwhile my running partners ate like half a bagel or something. I guess I have a higher metabolism.

"Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" ~ Hebrews 12:1 PRs: 5K - 25:03 | 10K - 54:03 | Half Marathon - 2:03:11 | Marathon - 4:47:17

Feeling the growl again

I race on an empty stomach.  After all, I'm about to feast on the carcasses of my foes*.

*2009 or earlier.  After that, I'm on the menu.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

I posted this this in the dailies but...  I usually eat a banana, bagel and coffee before leaving the hotel (I'm talking about big races so this is 3 or 4 hours before the actual race).  I'll sip water on the bus/subway and have a power bar in the Athlete's Village.  I will probably also have a Gu shortly before the race this year.